Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Old 03-10-20, 11:43 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
As I looked it over, the list of damage grew. I would not mind putting another bike on the road for someone else. It would take more work and my time though.
Damage:
bent handlebar
banana front wheel
broke shifter case
fork tine wave, steer tube off
headtube plane looks off aligned from seat tube
HS threads messed from lock ring pushed up

Old 03-10-20, 01:43 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
The fenders appear to be aluminized steel. Am I correct?
Old 03-10-20, 02:14 PM
3speedslow

Originally Posted by dweenk
The fenders appear to be aluminized steel. Am I correct?
Correct, aluminium steel. They look nice under all the grime when I spot scrub places. These are Wald mudguards I believe. I like the fact that they have straight lines running the length of the curve. I might try taping them up and painting stripes on them. Don’t know what colour yet.

I will make an attempt to straighten the front wheel. The back is fine and shifts clean, a Shimano unit labeled 3cc. Too bad the rims are chrome.
Old 03-10-20, 03:26 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL
More scavenging: Lyotard "Marcel Berthet" pedals and Gian Robert mechs from late '50s early '60s. I have no idea what to use the Gian Robert stuff for, but the pedals are English thread and will make a great addition for the Lygie build which is still lacking many components. The rear mechs show 13-32 range, which is respectable if true. Mystery as to performance of the Gian Robert parts are concerned.Does anyone have any road experience with these units?
FD cage had been cut to facilitate chain and/or derailleur removal.
-----

These are two very good finds. Usually with Gian Robert one takes in a single odd piece and you have a full gear ensemble plus an extra rear mech. Excellent. IIRC Gian Robert mechs are covered by Disraeli Gears so you can read a bit of their history there.

In the past there have been Gian Robert road ensembles complete with alloy cotterless chainsets and alloy saddle pillars. Even ones in gold finish.

Thanks for posting.

-----
Old 03-10-20, 03:33 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
Originally Posted by brandenjs
I was able to pick this up this week. 1974 Super Course MKII. A little rough, but I’ve cleaned up worse. Not sure I can save the saddle, it’s pretty dry.

-----

Count yourself fortunate that your example came with the Jubile rear mech upgrade. Some Super Course Mk.II's got this and other upgrades while others were kitted as per catalogue. Such were the conditions of the day... There were some which received both a gear ensemble upgrade and a chainset upgrade.

Also that the crank arm on the NERVAR Sport is in perfect registration with the spider. Often on these the swaging is not tight enough and the arm is able to shift a bit in relation to the spider.

Tip - when you repack BB check the fit of the spindle tapers to the arms. There were some of these which came through where the mating at this location was not correct.

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 03-10-20, 04:19 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

[QUOTEThe back is fine and shifts clean, a Shimano unit labeled 3cc. Too bad the rims are chrome.[/QUOTE]
Is that 3cc or 333. The Shimano hubs that I am familiar with are 333.

BTW, I have a pair of aluminized fenders for 26" wheels that you may have for cost of shipping.

Last edited by dweenk; 03-10-20 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-10-20, 04:45 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by brandenjs
Not sure I can save the saddle, it’s pretty dry.
Nice score!

Not that I want to drift this thread into another leather saddle reconditioning thread, but I have recently had great success doing the following:

1. Prepare a 5-gallon bucket of hot tapwater, with a good squirt of Dawn dish soap.

2. Soak the saddle overnight.

3. Remove the saddle, and wash under warm water. Now is the time to take a rag and work on stains and spots.

4. Set it somewhere to dry, but monitor it. ***This is important.*** If you simply let it dry, you won't be able to do what is next. Let the leather get to the point of being dry-feeling, but still soft and pliable. Then...

5. Soaking it up real good with this stuff, Nikwax Conditioner for Leather

6. Let it soak in and do its job. It feeds the leather and makes it a lot more supple.

7. When its almost dry - and I stress ALMOST DRY - hit it up with some Nikwax Waterproofing Wax for Leather

8. That stuff is sooooo much better than Proofide, imho. I've treated well over a dozen Brooks saddles using this system, and it works excellently!

I hope this helps.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 03-10-20, 07:19 PM
3speedslow

Originally Posted by dweenk
[QUOTEThe back is fine and shifts clean, a Shimano unit labeled 3cc. Too bad the rims are chrome.
Is that 3cc or 333. The Shimano hubs that I am familiar with are 333.

BTW, I have a pair of aluminized fenders for 26" wheels that you may have for cost of shipping.[/QUOTE]

3CC is what is written on the hub and coaster brake arm, which is probably what the cc refer to. I am set for 26” mudguards but I will PM you.
Old 03-14-20, 10:43 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts

69 huffy sportsman intercepted from dump. Its a 22" so I might rat rod it at some point. . I dig the SA grip shift.
Old 03-14-20, 02:06 PM
dweenk

Originally Posted by bark_eater

69 huffy sportsman intercepted from dump. Its a 22" so I might rat rod it at some point. . I dig the SA grip shift.
I any external parts of the grip shifter are missing or damaged let me know. BTW that is a strange looking rear rack.
Old 03-14-20, 02:58 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts

I think the shifter is compleat but all the cables are rust welded so I'm not going to mess with it. The rack is a mount for a child seat that was long gone. There's a lot of rust the frame and it's a Huffy so I don't see restoring it to some former glory. Good cantidate for rust experiments though.
Old 03-16-20, 05:22 PM
3speedslow

From bad to worse! Last week I was gifted a bent up 89 Ross 3 speed for parts. Last night this came off a scrappers truck for free as well.

Its all there minus the chain. A modern retro Schwinn Admiral 7 speed bike. This one will be rehabbed then pasted on to someone who needs a bike.

Old 03-17-20, 12:35 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
More scavenging: Lyotard "Marcel Berthet" pedals and Gian Robert mechs from late '50s early '60s. I have no idea what to use the Gian Robert stuff for, but the pedals are English thread and will make a great addition for the Lygie build which is still lacking many components. The rear mechs show 13-32 range, which is respectable if true. Mystery as to performance of the Gian Robert parts are concerned.Does anyone have any road experience with these units?
FD cage had been cut to facilitate chain and/or derailleur removal.
Gian Robert steel mechs were and still are nasty ugly heavy sloppy tripe.

The "Competition" alloy ones are passable.
Old 03-17-20, 03:39 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
Out for a ride Fri. Stopped at yard sale but owner said no bikes.

Passed again today and saw these from the road. Sorry for the bad photo.

Stopped again and property owner said he found these after I left and did I want them?

His and hers Raleigh Sports.

I know that you can't just cut-off the spokes to save a hub with a freewheel because you won't get the freewheel off later, but with an internal hub can I just cut the hub out??
Likes For WGB:
Old 03-17-20, 03:56 PM
3speedslow

23” men’s frame, score! Looks to be all there for both, score!
Old 03-17-20, 04:56 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
I think I actually prefer the ladies on a heavy cruiser like those.. I think I have one of those ladies frames in my shed someplace.
Old 03-17-20, 05:55 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
Stopped again and property owner said he found these after I left and did I want them?
His and hers Raleigh Sports.

I know that you can't just cut-off the spokes to save a hub with a freewheel because you won't get the freewheel off later, but with an internal hub can I just cut the hub out??
Please don't do that. They are both 23" frames, pretty unusual. We can't tell you what to do but free don't make 'em garbage. My ladies' 23" Sports was at the curb on trash day.

Be sure to show us closeups of the shop stickers.
Old 03-18-20, 09:10 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
thumpism The rims on these are steel and because the bikes have been left in for decades in an unheated barn, the rims are heavily rusted. The rear wheel of the men's frame is not too bad but even that isn't pretty and the the rear wheel on the ladies frame is really, really bad. I figured I'd have to replace the wheel sets anyway so was going to take off the hub and strip it down as I had never rebuilt a Sturmey Archer rear hub. Are you saying I should try to save the rims? Even if I do they will be heavily pitted right through the chrome.

I should say I was going to break both bikes down and Evaporust the components excepting the cranks because I still don't have a cotter press and for "now" the co-op is closed.

Last edited by WGB; 03-27-20 at 03:46 PM.
Likes For WGB:
Old 03-26-20, 02:45 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Look roubaix , a3.1

Some '90s LOOKs for $7.50 a pair, perfect bearing function. Black pedal bodies are easy to touch up with paint. Nice little feature with the LOOK logo cast into the pedal body, haven't seen this on other variants. Still my favorite "old time" clipless pedals. Found an original mid '80s pair that I might grab next time; nobody else will uses them where I'm at.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20200325_105318.jpg (1.11 MB, 1224 views)
Likes For HPL:
Old 03-26-20, 05:14 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by WGB
thumpism The rims on these are steel and because the bikes have been left in for decades in an unheated barn, the rims are heavily rusted. The rear wheel of the men's frame is not too bad but even that isn't pretty and the the rear wheel on the ladies frame is really, really bad. I figured I'd have to replace the wheel sets anyway so was going to take off the hub and strip it down as I had never rebuilt a Sturmey Archer rear hub. Are you saying I should try to save the rims? Even if I do they will be heavily pitted right through the chrome.

I should day I was going to break both bikes down and Evaporust the components excepting the cranks because I still don't have a cotter press and for "now" the co-op is closed.
I believe that Thump was trying to tell you not to discard those frames, but now it sounds more like you want to clean them up - which is good.Iv'e rebuilt dozens of these bikes, and it looks to me like your bikes are actually quite savable. Once you have all of the components off, and the BB and headsets out, start by cleaning. I use Armor-All Auto Cleaner. Its gentle to the paint and decals. WD40 for grease and oil. Simple Green to dissolve dried grease and oils. Then use an automotive cleaner-wax. It will lift the look of aging out of the paint. I follow this up with a coat or two of Renaissance wax.

Last edited by J.Higgins; 03-28-20 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-27-20, 08:53 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
Gian Robert steel mechs were and still are nasty ugly heavy sloppy tripe.

The "Competition" alloy ones are passable.
They certainly WILL NOT be installed on any performance frame, but they might find a place on a "no name" or mass produced frame. The only performance comparison I can make would be in reference to the Camp "Valentino/Velox" style RDs. Although I don't believe the bikes I rode with those RDs were properly set up/adjusted and/or maintained when ridden. What bike did you ride equipped with these mechs, what range gearing did the cluster have? It is stamped with "13T-32T". I'm not expecting lightning shifts, but with a decent Sun Tour/Maeda Freewheel I would expect it to be usable for light commuter duty.. If they don't get used they will languish on the "wall of shame" shelf with other odd and misfit, and broken parts; a sad life.

Last edited by HPL; 03-28-20 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-28-20, 04:46 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Here is one bike I rescued from the trash.

You can see it is a Raleigh. Most of the parts are alunimum. It appears to have titanium handlebars. If they are not titanium, they may be stainless steel.

This bike was complete and working when I picked it up. All I did was put air in the tires, wipe the dust off the seat, and raise the seat.

This bike appears to have never been left in the rain. It is very good condition. Many trashed bikes have some rust. I have not cleaned it. It has some dust and spider webs on it. If I cleaned it, it would look prettier.

The rim brakes work very well. The front suspension works well.

I get the impression, with so much aluminum, and titanium, it must have been more expensive than average in its day.

Anyone know what year this is from?

Anyone have an idea what it is worth?
Likes For alo:
Old 03-28-20, 08:00 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by alo

You can see it is a Raleigh. Most of the parts are alunimum. It appears to have titanium handlebars. If they are not titanium, they may be stainless steel.

This bike was complete and working when I picked it up. All I did was put air in the tires, wipe the dust off the seat, and raise the seat.

This bike appears to have never been left in the rain. It is very good condition. Many trashed bikes have some rust. I have not cleaned it. It has some dust and spider webs on it. If I cleaned it, it would look prettier.

I get the impression, with so much aluminum, and titanium, it must have been more expensive than average in its day.

A nice dump find, for sure, but not much more than a fun beater.
Old 03-28-20, 10:00 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Originally Posted by alo

I doubt it has titanium parts. Raleigh mtb's of that era weren't anything great. Steel chainrings that are riveted is one giveaway. It's somewhere from the 90's. Nevertheless,enjoy it!
Old 03-30-20, 04:02 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
I was going to post these in "Looking for these?" thread, but they were close enough to go look at myself. Pair of smoked chrome Peugeots for $10 a piece. The Orient Express was in good condition, but has 10" of seatpost frozen. The Tundra Express has rusted spokes but I have extra wheels.
Likes For curbtender:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.