Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello from Chilly Edmonton!

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-20, 06:37 PM
julianface

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Just moved here from Toronto. It's still freezing winter... Looking at my my vintage road bike options and it's slim pickings here compared to Toronto. This forum has been a big help so far though!

Anyone else from the city here?
Likes For julianface:
Old 04-04-20, 07:35 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
I hear that everyone in Edmonton has a pet Polar Bear.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 04-05-20, 09:32 AM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by julianface
Just moved here from Toronto. It's still freezing winter... Looking at my my vintage road bike options and it's slim pickings here compared to Toronto. This forum has been a big help so far though!

Welcome to the site JF and to our fair capital. I’m located south of you in Red Deer and yes, it's pretty cold here too…actually it's still snowing. Fear not though, warmer weather is on the way. I can't really help you out on the local vintage scene with the exception of Kijiji. Hope you're able to find that diamond in the rough.
Likes For Batstar:
Old 04-05-20, 08:36 PM
julianface

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Batstar
Welcome to the site JF and to our fair capital. I’m located south of you in Red Deer and yes, it's pretty cold here too…actually it's still snowing. Fear not though, warmer weather is on the way. I can't really help you out on the local vintage scene with the exception of Kijiji. Hope you're able to find that diamond in the rough.
Hello neighbor

Picked up this Apollo today and I feel really good about it now. Gonna order a seatpost and saddle and racks and a helmet to finish it off.

​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-touriste.html
Old 04-05-20, 09:25 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Welcome aboard Julian...

Does ye hunt n' flip often?
Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 04-18-20, 03:46 PM
milksteaks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 5 Posts
Welcome! I live in Toronto but spent a few years of my childhood in Edmonton. Vastly different cities but both great in different ways.

The classic bike selection in Toronto is great and hard to beat. Good luck with your search in Edmonton.
Old 04-25-20, 11:18 PM
jpfooty11

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Greetings from even further north (and west) in BC, yeah it's still cold but shouldn't be for long. Im new here too. Pretty tough to find a good selection of pedal bikes in oil country that's for sure!

Last edited by jpfooty11; 04-25-20 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-26-20, 07:11 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by julianface

I have made the acquaintance of @TuckamoreDew of Edmonton, a particularly hardy and innovative winter cyclist.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
FYA, I was most impressed by this system by @TuckamoreDew of Edmonton, AB
Originally Posted by TuckamoreDew
Last year was my first year cycling through the winter and at very low temperatures I constantly struggled with problem of fogging glasses. This year I'm using a combination of a neoprene mask and a half-mask respirator and so far I've been able to ride at -32C with zero fogging.

On the first test runs, on the coldest days, I experienced a slight fogging of my glasses inside my goggles but the dishwashing soap trick has taken care of that. It is such a relief to not have to worry about losing visibility during my commute.

I have posted more details here if anyone is interested....
I haven't found the respirator necessary until the temperature gets below -20C. I think the safety glasses method would likely work fine for me above that. My daily commute is 11km each way and in the winter it takes 45 to 60 minutes depending on conditions.
Thanks for the reply. Your -20°C and 11 km are: -4°F and 6.8 miles; my 0°F (lowest temp with safety glasses) and 14 miles are: -17°C and 22.5 km.

I have often posted that for any evaluation of winter gear, the poster should specify temperature and distance (as a function of time).

One post once suggested that a "cold" ride is one where the water bottle freezes solid; a function of temperature and time. For my 14 miles that occurs at about 15 degrees F or less (-9.4° C).
I agree with this.
I might also recommend to “experienced (and potential) cold weather riders” the treatise you cite on your website, Lexicon of Urban Edmonton Ices”–By Robert Clinton.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-26-20 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-26-20, 08:24 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Howdy!
Likes For Rage:
Old 04-26-20, 09:13 AM
mtb cheaha

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your contribution. Enjoy your rides. Be safe.