Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What’s the best SPD pedal?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What’s the best SPD pedal?

Old 04-03-20, 09:00 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,211 Times in 1,102 Posts
I have been standardizing on Look Keo's for my road bikes. Trying to color coordinate. Consequently there are large number of pedals in a bin that should be passed on.
For the MTB I use the M520/540 variety. The folder has a removable flat pedal.
Old 04-03-20, 09:07 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by SalsaShark
Shimano PD-M520 gets my vote. Easy to clip in/out, not too pricey, durable, easy to service, comes in a few colors. I use Shimano touring shoes with a recessed cleat - these pair great with that type of walkable shoe.
Unfortunately*, I have to agree. The M520 has the advantage of wrench flats where the M540 doesn’t. It’s far easier to break a pedal loose with a wrench flat on the front of the crank than trying to break a pedal loose using a Allen wrench on the back of the pedal.

As for bearing adjustment, I’ve owned dozens of M520, as well as other versions of Shimano SPD pedals. I’ve never adjusted the bearings on a single one of them. There has been simply no need.

If you want to try something different, I suggest Quality Bike Products (QBP) ISSI pedals. I have a few sets of them and they are pretty good pedals. They don’t have pedal flats but they do have seal cartridge bearings and you can get different spindle lengths for them. I find this very convenient for riding in winter boots. Swapping out the spindles is simple and quick.

*I say “unfortunately” because I hate to promote Shimano any more than I have to. It’s not that it isn't a good product, it’s just that Shimano owns too much of the market.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 04-03-20 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-03-20, 09:11 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7335 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,420 Posts
I know. Shimano is the 800-lb gorilla. But I give credit where it's due, and their pedals are some of the best. This, I feel, gives me more leeway when I choose to give negative criticism, similarly to how I criticize Microsoft.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-03-20, 11:33 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,023 Times in 989 Posts
For Shimano SPD cleats, Shimano SPD pedals are really the only and best way to go.

I've run PD-M505, M520, and M747 with 747s being the top shelf offering. All are two-sided, which I appreciate a lot. 505s can come in black or polished. 520s I've only seen in black/polish combo, and the 747s come in a really nice high polish. 505s ad 520s can be found easily (second hand) and for a very low cost, at least in my Seattle biking experience. They are strong and durable and work every time.
Old 04-03-20, 01:21 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
This is a common complaint that I think may depend on the shoes. I have 5 pairs of these pedals and none of them squeak. A friend of mine says his squeak with is Lakes but not his Sidis. In any case, I'd get rid of mine if they squeaked too. Other than hold the pedal at the same angle at stops, I don't think the platforms do anything either.
I'm sure that does have something to do with it. I primarily used them with Shimano RT82 shoes. I also tried them with my Pearl Izumi MTB shoes, and those were less creaky, but still made noise. I've since gotten some Shimano RP5 with hard soles. Those might be better but I haven't tried the combo.

Part of the issue might be my vintage pedaling style. I started riding during the clips and strap with slot cleats and big gears era. I still pedal 360º including pulling up, mostly on climbs and small steep rises. If I just spun all the time and didn't pull up ever I wouldn't have this issue. Too old to learn new tricks though. Plus, I mostly ride in hills, because the flat parts of socal have too many cars.

I had assumed the Shimano RT82 'touring' shoes were the matching shoes for the PD A600 pedals, and that since it was Shimano it would be a well engineered system. Not this time.

Let me add that even aside from the creaking issues, I prefer the Xpedo pedals overall.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 04-03-20 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-03-20, 04:07 PM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
I like the Shimano PD-A520. While single sided, I don't find flipping the pedal to clip in a problem--I'm not trying to win any races!! And I think the style of the A520 is much more in keeping with a vintage bike.
That said, I've recentlly acquired a pair of used SPD-SL pedals, and put the clips on a pair of road shoes I had. I found them much easier to clip into, and liked the style of at least some of the SPD-SL pedals. But of course now sacrificing "walkability" of the shoes.....
Likes For KenNC:
Old 04-03-20, 04:25 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by noglider
I know. Shimano is the 800-lb gorilla. But I give credit where it's due, and their pedals are some of the best. This, I feel, gives me more leeway when I choose to give negative criticism, similarly to how I criticize Microsoft.
I agree that almost all of their components are very good*. But that doesn't mean that I have to like it. Two of my bikes are completely Shimano free. It’s not easy to do, however.

*Their front derailers suck big time! The more expensive the derailer, the worse they work. I have a bike with an XTR e-type front derailer that was mounted on a carbon fiber plate. Expensive and the worst front derailer I’ve ever had. The plate flexed so much when you shifted from the middle ring to the outer, the bike would over shift and then not stay in the large ring. I tell people to go for the less expensive Shimano front derailers as they work much better.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-03-20, 05:00 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Sort of found this by mistake, but love these. PD M324

I like the A520s too. I have a set of MSW CP100 clones of the M324 that I bought one day when I drove out of town for a ride and brought the wrong shoes...cheap but they work just fine on my commuter.

Old 04-03-20, 10:05 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
I have touring shoes with recessed cleats. The cheap pedals I’m using now are horrible for clicking in. I went 2 miles this morning before I finally got my left foot seated in. What pedal should I be looking for? Thanks
If it's a vintage or vintage-ish bicycle, find some Shimano PD-M737 pedals. 25 years ago I saw more otherwise all-Campy-Record bikes with the original Shimano SPD pedals. They worked great- mine lasted nearly 20 years on a succession of bikes until one broke at a spring perch. The bearings were still smooth as silk.

Shimano XT PD-M737 Clipless Pedals

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 04-03-20, 10:53 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Apparently this has long been forgotten, but Shimano originally introduced SPD as a road and MTB system. They were trying to get away from paying patent fees to Look. I can't quite remember precisely but I think they started making noise about it in 1990, 1991 at the latest. If you want vintage for a vintage road bike, there are pedals out there somewhere.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 04-04-20, 07:08 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Seconding all the Shimano endorsements here, I also have a basic set of double-sided Wellgos I bought new a few years ago and they are great, too (the $25-ish ones, usually the cheapest Wellgos you can find).

I have in the past year developed a taste for old Ritchey pedals, and have them on two, and about to be three, bikes. I feel like I'm coming across them cheap (or free), perhaps people find them finicky to adjust or that they are on the snug side. But I love 'em.
Old 04-04-20, 11:57 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7335 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,420 Posts
More credit where it's due: SPD might be my favorite invention of Shimano's. With recessed cleats, I love the system. There is wide variety of choice in pedals and shoes. I've been considering taking a nice old pair of dress shoes and having a cobbler put on a Shimano sole.

@cyccommute, funny you should say that. My experience is different. My tandem came with a Deore XT 3x7 drivetrain which worked great. The front is a friction shifter. I replaced the rear hub, cassette, chain, derailleur and shifter with new Deore XT 11-speed stuff. It works better than any derailleur system I have ever used. I kept the front derailleur setup, as it's already fine. I then had to replace my rear crankset with something built for 10-speed so my chain wouldn't jam between chainrings. I like our 33-speed drivetrain. I could still use a lower low and a higher high, but that's life on a tandem.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 04-04-20, 12:00 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Apparently this has long been forgotten, but Shimano originally introduced SPD as a road and MTB system. They were trying to get away from paying patent fees to Look. I can't quite remember precisely but I think they started making noise about it in 1990, 1991 at the latest. If you want vintage for a vintage road bike, there are pedals out there somewhere.
Thank you for posting that. I switched to them (from Look) when they first came out, and I was totally unaware that they were "supposed to be" mountain-bike specific. I'm glad to hear this wasn't a figment of my imagination.
Old 04-04-20, 12:26 PM
Bajabri

Bikes: ‘84 Alan sprint, Rocky Mountain Altitude 799, Trek fuel ex 9.9, Gardin/Battaglin’84, Nishiki international ‘83, ‘86 panasonic dx5000, 93 mongoose amplifier

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Unfortunately*, I have to agree. The M520 has the advantage of wrench flats where the M540 doesn’t. It’s far easier to break a pedal loose with a wrench flat on the front of the crank than trying to break a pedal loose using a Allen wrench on the back of the pedal.
I must respectively disagree, after a few years of working in a bike shop and a lifetime of working on my own fleet and being the mechanic for all my riding buddies, the allen key pedals are far superior to a pedal wrench only style. I have never stripped an allen wrench or socket, but the thin pedal wrenches, even better quality ones, have spun on me numerous times, particularly on older bikes where the pedals are almost fused to the crank.
Give me an allen key any day!

Almost forgot the topic, in my experience, XTR hands down the best.

B

Last edited by Bajabri; 04-04-20 at 12:30 PM.
Likes For Bajabri:
Old 04-04-20, 01:42 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Bajabri
I must respectively disagree, after a few years of working in a bike shop and a lifetime of working on my own fleet and being the mechanic for all my riding buddies, the allen key pedals are far superior to a pedal wrench only style. I have never stripped an allen wrench or socket, but the thin pedal wrenches, even better quality ones, have spun on me numerous times, particularly on older bikes where the pedals are almost fused to the crank.

B
Getting leverage on a Allen wrench for a pedal that is stuck on the crank is far harder than using a pedal wrench. For one thing, the pedal wrench is longer so it gives more leverage. It's also easier to slip a cheater bar over a pedal wrench then it is to do so on an Allen wrench. The pedal wrench is on the outside of the crank and provides more space.

Old 04-04-20, 02:41 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I really like Time ATAC pedals. Very positive engagement and lots of float.

Here's a review comparing shimano to atac.

https://puregravel.com/blogs/reviews...tac-xc8-pedals

I've been very tempted to try these, specifically the

Time Speciale 12 Pedals

which are brutally expensive, but Amazon has a good price a the moment. Still, they are more expensive than XTR trail pedals, and I've probably spent more than $1K on pedals and have not managed to find anything that is an improvement over those. The brass cleats in particular have me worried...

Also, lateral float might be a bit disconcerting.

Are these real concerns, or am I being paranoid?
Old 04-04-20, 03:53 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I've been very tempted to try these, specifically the

Time Speciale 12 Pedals

which are brutally expensive, but Amazon has a good price a the moment. Still, they are more expensive than XTR trail pedals, and I've probably spent more than $1K on pedals and have not managed to find anything that is an improvement over those. The brass cleats in particular have me worried...

Also, lateral float might be a bit disconcerting.

Are these real concerns, or am I being paranoid?
I'd be more paranoid about the price than the float, .

I've been using Time ATACs as my go to clipless pedal for a long time.
I've had zero issues with the cleats; they last a long time. And I love the float but YMMV.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-06-20, 11:45 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Bajabri

B
Is there some way to get a long-lever level of force with an allen key? I've always thought there must be, but have never found a tool that would do it.

Old 04-06-20, 11:54 AM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Sort of found this by mistake, but love these. PD M324

Opinions vary, I had those but thought they were the worst of all worlds...always had to look down and check which side was up and physically flip the pedal over with my foot half the time. Some people have said their models are weighted so the same side is always down but it still means flipping the pedal over at every stop with flats.

With 2 sided spd's and some practice I'd leave one foot clipped in at intersections, and clip the other foot back in without needing to look at the pedal at all.
Old 04-06-20, 12:27 PM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by IsleRide
Isn't this a C&V thread?
I had a drawer full of various SPD pedals. Finally threw them all away. I ride various flat touring pedals with half-clips. Liberating.
I also switched away from clipless completely. Five Ten flat bike shoes use a special grippy rubber compound that really grabs on metal pins, DMR Vault Pedals are large slightly curved and the most comfortable pedal I've ever used. It was freeing that my feet no longer got numb on rides, it was freeing that I could walk around off the bike in flat comfortable shoes when I biked to a destination.

If I was stand-up-pull-with-the-hamstrings-all-out-sprinting in races I might prefer clipless, but I'm not, and there's no performance difference for the rest of biking...nice to not have to mentally remember that I'm clipped in, nice to drive to group rides and not have to change shoes, nice to bike to a destination and walk around for an hour comfortably in normal flat shoes.
Likes For PaulRivers:
Old 04-06-20, 12:29 PM
rondi

Bikes: Scott CR1 Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
speedplay period com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.frog

I have used this pedal & cleats on my Scott CR1 Pro road bike since 2011 with Shimano shoes. They work great for me. They have a bit of free float, so you change knee positions a little bit during the ride. When you are walking on gravel or small rocks--there is a very small danger you will bend the sides of the cleat, but my paved riding/walking has never been a problem. Just twist your heal to the outside and they immediately release.
hth, Ron
Old 04-06-20, 12:32 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,393 Times in 1,927 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Is there some way to get a long-lever level of force with an allen key? I've always thought there must be, but have never found a tool that would do it.
Slip a length of half-inch electrical conduit over the handle.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 04-06-20, 01:17 PM
strangdang

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have to wonder if all the folks touting Shimano have actually had much experience with the other systems out there. I was originally a Shimano shoe and pedal rep in the 90’s. Then I became a Bianchi rep and we sold Time as well. Later I became a Speedplay rep, and finally before I retired I repped a company that sold Crank Brothers. I also raced mountain bikes during that time. In order of preference after riding these systems off road I would rank:
1. Time Atac pedals, great all around.
2. Crank Bros. Pretty good, but a bit more delicate than the Times.
3. Speedplay Frogs, these are actually better for road/commuting, as that hole where the cleat goes can fill up with mud off’roading.
4. Shimano/Ritchey/Wellgo type. These all have the failing in that in order to not accidentally pull out while sprinting hard, you’ve got to dial up the tension which then makes them harder to get into.
Remember, the cleats go with the pedals, you can’t interchange different brands even though officially they are all SPD 2 bolt drilling pattern. i’ve seen folks totally stuck in their pedals using a Ritchey cleat on a Shimano pedal.
And none of these are really classic and vintage, only toe clips count there.
Old 04-06-20, 01:22 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I use old style Crank Brothers Candy pedals on my bikes. They clear mud well and the mini platform provides a good target to clip in. The brass cleats are wear items but the pedals are easily rebuilt so I'm riding 10-12 year old pedals but I'm on my 4th set of cleats. As far as actual Shimano pedals go I recommend mid range parts and possibly the road specific SPD pedals
Old 04-06-20, 01:35 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by strangdang
I have to wonder if all the folks touting Shimano have actually had much experience with the other systems out there. I was originally a Shimano shoe and pedal rep in the 90’s. Then I became a Bianchi rep and we sold Time as well. Later I became a Speedplay rep, and finally before I retired I repped a company that sold Crank Brothers. I also raced mountain bikes during that time. In order of preference after riding these systems off road I would rank:
1. Time Atac pedals, great all around.
2. Crank Bros. Pretty good, but a bit more delicate than the Times.
3. Speedplay Frogs, these are actually better for road/commuting, as that hole where the cleat goes can fill up with mud off’roading.
4. Shimano/Ritchey/Wellgo type. These all have the failing in that in order to not accidentally pull out while sprinting hard, you’ve got to dial up the tension which then makes them harder to get into.
Remember, the cleats go with the pedals, you can’t interchange different brands even though officially they are all SPD 2 bolt drilling pattern. i’ve seen folks totally stuck in their pedals using a Ritchey cleat on a Shimano pedal.
And none of these are really classic and vintage, only toe clips count there.
I appreciate your points, but really not on point with the OP's question, which was about SPD pedals. That said, I would acknowledge there are other systems out there. The biggest advantage of Shimano is the ubiquity of it. I started with clipless because I was doing spin classes in the mid 2000s, and found that with all the moves up out of the saddle and sprinting you had to do, that clipless worked better. So I asked what type of cleat to get and the universal answer was, SPD. Once I had the shoes for spinning, it only made sense to use the same shoes for spinning as on my bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.