Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Old 04-10-20, 10:22 AM
hellion14

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
In my search for wheels I have come across some mavic's that will look good, but they're only 15mm internal width. I'm sure I could run 25mm tires on them because that's what my other bike rolls on and it's fine. But I was hoping to run 28mm tires on the Panasonic, any experience out there running that wide of a tire on such a rim?
Old 04-10-20, 11:26 AM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
28s will be fine. I don't recommend it, but I ran 38mm tires on 15mm rims for a while and never had a problem.
Likes For droppedandlost:
Old 04-10-20, 12:46 PM
PhilPub

Bikes: Ron Cooper Columbus SL 1987, Planet X London Road

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
An update to my Ron Cooper, some new wheels.

Old 04-10-20, 01:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by hellion14
In my search for wheels I have come across some mavic's that will look good, but they're only 15mm internal width. I'm sure I could run 25mm tires on them because that's what my other bike rolls on and it's fine. But I was hoping to run 28mm tires on the Panasonic, any experience out there running that wide of a tire on such a rim?
h plus son tb14 if you want old box style.
h plus son archetype if you want a stronger/stiffer more modern style.

both come in a polished silver finish and the archetype has a gray anodized finish option as well. they are wider than 15mm and not mavic, so its a win all the way around.
Old 04-10-20, 02:31 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15, '03 Litespeed Firenze

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
h plus son tb14 if you want old box style.
h plus son archetype if you want a stronger/stiffer more modern style.

both come in a polished silver finish and the archetype has a gray anodized finish option as well. they are wider than 15mm and not mavic, so its a win all the way around.
I have a silver and gray archetype on two of my bikes.
It is 17 mm wide inside the rims. I have a Conti GP4SII 28c on silver one and 25c on gray one.
Old 04-10-20, 09:58 PM
hellion14

PhilPub, your bike is gorgeous!

And thanks guys for the heads up on the H Plus Son rims, I’m thinking the Archetype is the look I’m after.
Likes For hellion14:
Old 04-11-20, 02:32 AM
PhilPub

Thank you! For the record my (nearly) new wheels are Hunt Sprint Aero Wide which aren't too dissimilar to Archetype, with similar deep V profile (like a vintage Shamal) and wide rim: 19mm internal, 24mm external. I was considering getting silver TB14 but these came up at a good price and look pretty bling as well!

Last edited by PhilPub; 04-11-20 at 02:41 AM.
Old 04-11-20, 06:19 AM
hellion14

PhilPub, those wheels are exactly what I was looking for and couldn’t find. Thank you! If my Panasonic comes out nearly as nice as your Cooper I’ll be very happy. I’ll try to post a pic, not sure if I have enough posts here yet though.
Old 04-11-20, 06:33 AM
hellion14

Here she is, ready to step into the modern era
Old 04-12-20, 01:50 PM
GreenNeedle

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Thought I would add my Holdsworth Criterium (1990ish) from the much maligned "production line" era that gets no love at all. Had a respray because "pearlescent pink" was not for me. It was going to be a matt grey but I saw a De Rosa on another forum which instructed me to paint it in Ferrari Red and keep to black wherever possible on the fittings

Not one for the purists. This originally came with full stock Shimano Exage EX400 groupset. Minus brakes which it was missing. It now has 10 speed SRAM Red apart from the brake calipers which are Force, Chain which is Shimano Ultegra and the cassette which is the PG1070/Force one.

Holdsworth Criterium SRAM

Likes For GreenNeedle:
Old 04-13-20, 01:53 AM
roshgosh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilPub
An update to my Ron Cooper, some new wheels.

Stunning !!! Some more info on those wheels please.
Old 04-13-20, 05:50 AM
PhilPub

Originally Posted by roshgosh
Stunning !!! Some more info on those wheels please.
Here you go:

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/produ...-31deep-24wide

It's a small UK-based company. I don't know much about them other than seeing these wheels and liking the look of them and seeing good reviews. (And picking them up at a good price "nearly-new".) I was after some modern wide rims to see if they ride any better than the old style box section rims I'd been using (Ambrosio Excellight). I've done all of 115 miles on them so far and they feel great. Hard to say whether I'm getting up hills or slicing through the air any quicker, but they make a nice hollow-but-stiff sound whirring around, and pushing out of the saddle they do seem a little stiffer/more responsive. 25c tyres give a nice profile as well, with just about enough clearance at the chain stays on my old Columbus SL frame.
Likes For PhilPub:
Old 04-20-20, 02:29 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
'74 Harry Quinn Slightly Re-tooled

This frame has been restomod for a while, but had silvery wheels that looked a bit more vintage. Rear was 11-30t, I wondered why I hadn't gone wider, since the bike is heavy enough that a 27" low gear would be nice. So I decided to go wider, and after pulling the rear wheel realized I had forgotten, yet again, that the lovely silver rear hub was a Dura-Ace 7800, with taller splines, that pretty much only works with D-A/Ultegra 10spd cassettes. The widest Ultegra is 12-32, but I wanted wider than 32, and 12 is a little low with the kinda tiny 34t chainring, so it was wheel switcheroo time. These are Ultegra 6900/H+Son Archetypes, rear hub fits standard cassettes, so it got 11-36t.

If I had my druthers I'd get a wheelset with silver H+Son TB-14 rims, a little more vintage looking but modern-wide. That's not likely to happen soon, though.

Also dropped from 43-622/700c Soma Supple Vitesse SLs to 38s, since the former Velocity rims were narrower, and the 43s on the Archetypes would probably be a little too tight at the chainstays.

Threw in some Tubolito tubes while I was at it.

Old 04-26-20, 08:23 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 2,782 Times in 531 Posts
My recently finished Merckx MX Leader with Campag 10 speed.

Likes For botty kayer:
Old 04-26-20, 09:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by botty kayer
Holy saddle to hood drop!
Impressive flexibility and reach you must have.

The build looks great.
Old 04-26-20, 10:13 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 2,782 Times in 531 Posts
Thanks. This bike encourages me to go faster like no other bike I've owned, so I'm often in the drops, long low and fast. It's at the small end of the frames I ride, (57cm), I'm 185cm, but I love it, it feels lased guided and will last a lifetime and is certainly a keeper . I guess I'm still pretty flexible for mid 40's, at the moment can't wait for the lock down to be lifted and we can go on some proper summer rides again.
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 04-26-20, 10:15 AM
bigalo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Agreed!
Old 04-26-20, 11:14 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,571 Times in 1,758 Posts
Two victims of my Shimergo spree out on a ride today.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 04-26-20, 11:24 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Here is the latest configuration of my 1982 McLean. I've installed a new-to-me Ultegra front derailleur and a Velo Orange triple crankset. The chainrings are 48/34/24, and the 9-speed cassette is 12-26. I have lots of low gears, and I'll see if I can replace the 12T cog with an 11T. I've had this frameset since 1983, and I love it to death.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 04-27-20, 08:43 AM
txsurfer

Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Here you go:

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/produ...-31deep-24wide

It's a small UK-based company. I don't know much about them other than seeing these wheels and liking the look of them and seeing good reviews. (And picking them up at a good price "nearly-new".) I was after some modern wide rims to see if they ride any better than the old style box section rims I'd been using (Ambrosio Excellight). I've done all of 115 miles on them so far and they feel great. Hard to say whether I'm getting up hills or slicing through the air any quicker, but they make a nice hollow-but-stiff sound whirring around, and pushing out of the saddle they do seem a little stiffer/more responsive. 25c tyres give a nice profile as well, with just about enough clearance at the chain stays on my old Columbus SL frame.
I have about 3500 miles on a set of the 34 Aero Wide Disc and they are awesome wheels! Its been a very hard 3500 miles for them, some fast bikepacking through east Texas and horrible Louisiana roads, gravel grinding and the occasional jumps. Would buy again, hands down.
Old 04-27-20, 09:52 AM
PhilPub

Originally Posted by txsurfer
I have about 3500 miles on a set of the 34 Aero Wide Disc and they are awesome wheels! Its been a very hard 3500 miles for them, some fast bikepacking through east Texas and horrible Louisiana roads, gravel grinding and the occasional jumps. Would buy again, hands down.
Good to hear! Especially as mine will only ever see proper roads in dry weather (if I can help it) so should last me a while.
Old 04-27-20, 10:07 PM
txsurfer

Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Good to hear! Especially as mine will only ever see proper roads in dry weather (if I can help it) so should last me a while.
They will, I have zero doubts! Im impressed with some of the smaller cycling companies coming out of the UK currently. Im also riding a Bowman Pilgrims Disc frameset and I absolutely love it, the new aluminum is real, almost as real as steel like my other rides. Might even start exploring some of the smaller kit companies now too. Lucky you that you live there!
Likes For txsurfer:
Old 04-28-20, 01:47 AM
PhilPub

Originally Posted by txsurfer
They will, I have zero doubts! Im impressed with some of the smaller cycling companies coming out of the UK currently. Im also riding a Bowman Pilgrims Disc frameset and I absolutely love it, the new aluminum is real, almost as real as steel like my other rides. Might even start exploring some of the smaller kit companies now too. Lucky you that you live there!
Now here's a strange coincidence, I believe the Bowman Pilgrims is named after the Pilgrims' Way, which runs across some beautiful countryside through Southern England, including my stomping ground in the Weald of Kent. One of my first rides with the new wheels was along the Pilgrims' Way and the above photos were taken on a lane just off it. Here's an older picture on the Pilgrims' Way itself with the old wheels.

If you ever fancy a pilgrimage, it's a lovely bit of road!

Last edited by PhilPub; 04-28-20 at 01:54 AM.
Likes For PhilPub:
Old 04-28-20, 10:58 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 215 Posts
One of the things I like the most about your Ron Cooper is the cockpit setup. What stem/bar combo are you running here?

If you ever fancy a pilgrimage, it's a lovely bit of road!
I'm anticipating a De Rosa retromod build in the near term, and am struggling to imagine my Cinelli 64 bar will be reasonable reach-wise when brifters are added.

What compact bars are folx using on these builds? I've done a few myself, but have felt stretched out when adding brifters to otherwise untouched stem/bar combos.

(RobbieTunes )
Old 04-28-20, 12:33 PM
PhilPub

Originally Posted by billytwosheds
One of the things I like the most about your Ron Cooper is the cockpit setup. What stem/bar combo are you running here?
Nitto M106 compact bars (42cm) with Nitto Dynamic 10 stem. When I first updated my Ron Cooper I had Cinelli CDM bars but had got used to compact bars on another bike, and the Nitto bars work perfectly with the SRAM shifters for a nice flat transition. I really like the Dynamic stem, similar style to the old Cinelli XA I used to have.

Likes For PhilPub:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.