Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

First Campagnolo Cleat pedals. need help.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-20, 03:18 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 146 Posts

I am doing the "new gruppo on old steel frame" thing. I bought the Campagnolo Record ti 9 speed Gruppo at a BMX swap meet, and now I need cleats to fit the pedals and my 3 bolt shoes.

I am a true Toe Strap L'Eroica guy, so I have no knowledge of what fits these pedals. A cursory journey through google shows I need to buy proprietary cleats, and don't forget to buy the bolts?
Does that sound correct? If so, got any good sources?
Old 04-22-20, 03:35 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
You need Campy Pro-Fit cleats. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...2&category=116. There is a float (foot can rotate a bit in the pedal) and a fixed (you are locked in) model available.
Old 04-22-20, 03:59 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Yes, need engaging clips and hardware too Sorry for the omission, forgot how complex (and expensive) the system was.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=10951&category=2721

Last edited by mprince; 04-22-20 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-22-20, 05:28 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 146 Posts
Thank you for the help. I guess I'll start shopping!
Old 04-22-20, 05:31 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
I usually replace the engaging clip every 2 or 3 cleat replacements. Campagnolo says each time, but they dont wear that much.
Old 04-22-20, 06:37 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Yep, not cheap. I have a set mounted and bought a set for when I need, not knowing when they might become vaporware.

Initially, I did NOT like them, right side would not engage, really annoying, I even had the shop send them back to Campagnolo- they were new to market, and the shop did not want to mess with them.
The pedal was fine- the cleat was not to tolerance, ground it back, polished it a bit after to not scratch the spring... unfortunately lots of scratches on the underside of the pedal when it would NOT engage.

So, used them, keep those comments in mind if they do not engage as easily as the similar bit different Look system.

Forgot to add, first shoes used were Lake carbon soled shoes, nice but did not allow my foort to be in the "perfect" spot, then used a pair of now out of date Sidi shoes, much better after I smoothed off the sole, I needed the cleat just a bit out of the typical side to side range.

Last edited by repechage; 04-22-20 at 06:40 PM.