Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-20, 02:35 AM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 60 Posts
Raleigh Super Course Mk II - 1976 I think... bought for a stem

So it happened again... I had been keeping an eye out for a Cinelli stem for the PDM Concorde I picked up a while ago and I saw a bike for sale locally for the price of what the stem seems to be going for alone. I ended up with this Raleigh Super Course, shown as found, and it is an absolute pleasure to ride. It has Campy headset, hubs, 700x35c Paselas, Campy drivetrain (with what I think is a Shimano Arabesque FD?), and Cinelli bars in addition to the Cinelli stem that caught my eye. I had actually also been looking for this RD to complete the original groupset on my Dutch Duell Solo. This feels like a score to me! And until I have time to dive into in as a project (for other projects) I am enjoying it a lot as is!

Likes For CriticalThought:
Old 05-07-20, 11:19 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
CriticalThought , very nice find. Someone really loved that SC by adorning it with all of those fancy components.

The front derailleur is a Shimano 105 Golden Arrow, better than Arabesque I think.
Old 05-07-20, 05:12 PM
Jason845

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I'm a big guy, 6' 240#, I have a nice carlton super course frame I'd like to build up. I will use lots of spokes on 650b rims and will not be using the stock fork. Will the frame handle my fat butt? Thanks!
Old 05-08-20, 06:22 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason845
I'm a big guy, 6' 240#, I have a nice carlton super course frame I'd like to build up. I will use lots of spokes on 650b rims and will not be using the stock fork. Will the frame handle my fat butt? Thanks!
I am 6'2" and around 250. I have a 68 Super Course and had a 79 Super Course. Both frames handled my bulk with no problems. I think you will be fine.

Edit to add-I am a bit jealous of your Carlton. Can you post pics?
Old 05-08-20, 06:28 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
Over on the Is there a reliable way to tell what type of steel based on diameter? thread, conversation came up about seat post size for plain gauge 531. bulgie mentioned his early 70's Super Course had a 26.6 seat post size. My 79 had a 26.4 and I recall that others have reported that here as well. What size seat post does your Super Course take?
Old 05-08-20, 08:24 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I'm pretty sure mine is 26.4mm. My Super Course is from 1971.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-22-20, 10:56 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Nicest and Ugliest Super Courses

My vote for the nicest Super Course in this thread.....

and at the other extreme...

Likes For branko_76:
Old 05-22-20, 11:10 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Ah, shucks... But I'll bet the "other extreme" might ride just as nice or nicer than mine! Looks rather practical, if not aesthetically pleasing.
Old 05-22-20, 12:09 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I like to keep at least one ugly bike that rides well. It's one of my trademarks.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Likes For noglider:
Old 06-04-20, 01:43 PM
87 Demo

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Super Course, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1974 Raleigh Super Tourer, 1975 Raleigh International, 1976 Torresini, 1987 Tommaso TC Cromor

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Just picked up what I'm pretty sure is a 72, after years of wanting a SC with nervex lugs!
Likes For 87 Demo:
Old 06-04-20, 04:37 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by 87 Demo
Just picked up what I'm pretty sure is a 72, after years of wanting a SC with nervex lugs!
Make one more post and you can then post pictures. What color is your Super Course? I have a 1971. Same frame as yours with different derailleurs. I love it.

Old 06-04-20, 05:35 PM
87 Demo

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Super Course, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1974 Raleigh Super Tourer, 1975 Raleigh International, 1976 Torresini, 1987 Tommaso TC Cromor

I'm thinking it's a 72 from the script, and because it has the ghost of the typical headbadge, not the anniversary badge. I'm puzzled by the seat tube, I'm thinking possibly whoever removed the decals from it may have taken off the top layer of paint and revealed the metallic base, but its also relatively shiny and smooth in person so I'm not sure.

Otherwise it's in great condition. I'm also surprised with how nicely it's built compared to my other Raleighs (for comparison, some photos of the sloppy brazing and lugwork on my '73 Gran Sport)

I have some ideas for what I'm gonna do with it, once i dig around and see what parts i have. I haven't built or worked on a bike in a few years and I'm not sure which parts have survived moving twice haha. Just will need to source a headset and a barrel adjuster for the rear brake cable stop, and figure out what seat post it takes, neither of two I tried fit.
Old 06-12-20, 11:14 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked 3,508 Times in 1,396 Posts
Look what the cat dragged home...

Funny story about this one. I saw it last year for sale at a local community bike shop that I have volunteered at a little bit. I kept hearing good things about the ride on these Super Courses and didn't yet have a good British boom bike example in my stable. So, negotiated a price and was about to buy it but looking it over, I saw a big gap in the chainstay-to-BB brazing that I guess horrified me enough to put it down and walk away.

A few weeks ago, for some reason I started thinking about this bicycle again. Because of all the closings, I hadn't really yet been to the shop as of this year, but finally decided to go, and lo and behold, it was still there lol. So I thought 'what the heck' - I'll buy it anyway. The gap in the chainstay is not as bad as I remember it, and was pleasantly surprised to find that while tearing it apart for a complete rebuild, it looks like the chainstays are flared inside the BB shell, so there is a mechanical connection as well - peace of mind, if you will.

Whoever had this bike before it was neglected out in the sun for several years must have really liked it, because it was very tastefully upgraded - Suntour drivetrain all around, aluminum SR type seatpost, and newer-ish 27x1 wheelset (Miche Competition hubs and Araya rims) that show barely any riding at all. The good stuff, like the stem, brakes, etc, have stayed original to the bike.

The rebuild has since commenced and I'm in the home stretch. Completely disassembled - the headset came out well, the wheel hubs/bearings came out like new, the crank spindle and bearings are a little rough but serviceable, I have a Brooks from a donor bike that was refurb'd and put on this one. Sanded out the casting lines in the GB stem and gave it a bit of a polish and came out well. Polished one set of brakes, need to do the other. Have natural veg-tanned leather for bar tap, cut and stitched some leather brake hoods, got a new chain to put on it, and now I just need cables and tires and it should be ready to go!

Thanks for turning me on to this project! I'm digging the British racing green color, the Capella lugs, and how everything is shaping up!

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 06-12-20 at 11:18 PM.
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 06-14-20, 06:58 PM
Real1shepherd

Bikes: Trek, Raleigh, Schwinn, Yokota

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Look what the cat dragged home...

Funny story about this one. I saw it last year for sale at a local community bike shop that I have volunteered at a little bit. I kept hearing good things about the ride on these Super Courses and didn't yet have a good British boom bike example in my stable. So, negotiated a price and was about to buy it but looking it over, I saw a big gap in the chainstay-to-BB brazing that I guess horrified me enough to put it down and walk away.

A few weeks ago, for some reason I started thinking about this bicycle again. Because of all the closings, I hadn't really yet been to the shop as of this year, but finally decided to go, and lo and behold, it was still there lol. So I thought 'what the heck' - I'll buy it anyway. The gap in the chainstay is not as bad as I remember it, and was pleasantly surprised to find that while tearing it apart for a complete rebuild, it looks like the chainstays are flared inside the BB shell, so there is a mechanical connection as well - peace of mind, if you will.

Whoever had this bike before it was neglected out in the sun for several years must have really liked it, because it was very tastefully upgraded - Suntour drivetrain all around, aluminum SR type seatpost, and newer-ish 27x1 wheelset (Miche Competition hubs and Araya rims) that show barely any riding at all. The good stuff, like the stem, brakes, etc, have stayed original to the bike.

The rebuild has since commenced and I'm in the home stretch. Completely disassembled - the headset came out well, the wheel hubs/bearings came out like new, the crank spindle and bearings are a little rough but serviceable, I have a Brooks from a donor bike that was refurb'd and put on this one. Sanded out the casting lines in the GB stem and gave it a bit of a polish and came out well. Polished one set of brakes, need to do the other. Have natural veg-tanned leather for bar tap, cut and stitched some leather brake hoods, got a new chain to put on it, and now I just need cables and tires and it should be ready to go!

Thanks for turning me on to this project! I'm digging the British racing green color, the Capella lugs, and how everything is shaping up!

Have you dated the bike yet on Brown's site with the serial? Sure looks like mine which I think was a '72.

Kevin
Old 06-14-20, 09:08 PM
87 Demo

So i've collected most of the parts and started building and two things happened:

1) I nearly lost an eye and the my cable cutters snapped and sent a chunk of metal 1/4 an inch away from my eye. Yikes!

2) I realized the fork is ever so slightly out of line. I would'nt even call it bent, I dry fit a headset to fit the fork and it looks fine, I only realized something was wrong when I had the fork lying on a table and realized one leg is just slightly out of line with the other. I may straighten it, but if it rides fine, I may not.

Unfortunately, I can't find my non-driveside TA crank arm or the smaller ring for it, so the TA isn't going on it for now. The seat tube is also out of round, which ended up not being too bad because I got to use a 25.8 SR Extra Super Light seatpost I really like. Had to shim it because it it was slightly too small, but a 26.0 was too large.
Old 06-15-20, 05:45 AM
halb 

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
wrench flats on lower fixed cup

Why are there wrench flats on the lower fixed cup of '77 Super Course?
I bought an inexpensive SC frame and fork on CL. It appears owner took off what he could with household tools.
Chain and crankset were in place, but bearings absent from headset.
I had 5/32 bearings in the junk box, installed them, and could find no "sweet spot."
If the fork turned smoothly, there was knock. No evident damage to headset.
Can I simply replace the headset with a new standard one?
Old 06-15-20, 11:17 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@halb you may not be able to use a standard English-threaded headset, because chances are, your fork is Raleigh-threaded. English is 24 tpi, and Raleigh is 26 tpi.

@87 Demo, check alignment with three measurements: forward from line formed by steerer tube, left/right from center line, and distance from fork crown to tip (where you insert the wheel).

Old 06-15-20, 12:06 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by Real1shepherd
Have you dated the bike yet on Brown's site with the serial? Sure looks like mine which I think was a '72.

Kevin
72 had Nervex lugs, this bike has the lugs of a 73' or newer, I forget the manufacturer of the later lugs.
Old 06-15-20, 01:30 PM
87 Demo

I believE they're Capella, they went to the Prugnat lugs with the Mk II
Old 06-15-20, 03:21 PM
Real1shepherd

Bikes: Trek, Raleigh, Schwinn, Yokota

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Did they ever use Cinelli?

It was said somewhere that they used the ornate Capella lugs in some '73 model SC's because they ran out of the simpler ones. More Raleigh factory confusion.

Kevin

Last edited by Real1shepherd; 06-15-20 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-17-20, 05:31 PM
87 Demo

Some progress. Basically just waiting on a saddle and bars to come in the mail so I can finish.

Last edited by 87 Demo; 06-17-20 at 05:39 PM.
Likes For 87 Demo:
Old 06-18-20, 11:45 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 746 Times in 407 Posts
I'm sure there are many others using a 26.2 kalloy seatpost (12.5" post length) for their super course, so I'll post my weight-weenie findings here...

I cut 3.75" from my post, leaving 8.75". 3.5" will extend above the seatube, and 5.25" will insert. That's 1.25" more than the minimum inserted length etched on the seatpost- 4". The total saved grams....is.....

54g!!!! Which is equivalent to 1.9oz.

Oh well, at least it made me feel better about making my super course a bit lighter.
Old 06-18-20, 11:50 AM
jreeves 

Bikes: 1984~85 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Raleigh Super Course, 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
I'm sure there are many others using a 26.2 kalloy seatpost (12.5" post length) for their super course, so I'll post my weight-weenie findings here...

I cut 3.75" from my post, leaving 8.75". 3.5" will extend above the seatube, and 5.25" will insert. That's 1.25" more than the minimum inserted length etched on the seatpost- 4". The total saved grams....is.....

54g!!!! Which is equivalent to 1.9oz.

Oh well, at least it made me feel better about making my super course a bit lighter.
Curious what your final weight is???
Old 06-18-20, 12:13 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by jreeves
My final weight is a bit over 27 pounds for this build, the only weight reduction from stock was the aluminum seatpost.

I actually added weight back on with my DIY tripilizer and granny ring.

Likes For jackbombay:
Old 06-18-20, 12:50 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 746 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by jreeves
304g

You could save another 66g by buying this post: 26.2 post for a mere $130.

​​​​

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.