Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ride a Magna Outrageous?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-20, 08:32 AM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts

Anyone else ride a Magna Outrageous? This isn't the more recent Magna's but rather the 1980's one with 18 speeds but the chainrings were all similar size so you really couldn't get a halfway decent low gear for the hills.

1987 Magna Outrageous 18 Speed Bicycle Ad - So Fast!

I had one as a kid. $79.95 at Child World in the late 80's. Spent money getting it back on the road a year ago to find out it wouldn't fit. The bike was AWFUL. Heavy, klunky. No wonder why I was always last and couldn't keep up with the other kids!
Old 05-07-20, 10:48 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
I seriously doubt any would be rideable based on the quality i have seen of magna;s

Old 05-08-20, 07:05 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Attilio
Anyone else ride a Magna Outrageous? This isn't the more recent Magna's but rather the 1980's one with 18 speeds but the chainrings were all similar size so you really couldn't get a halfway decent low gear for the hills.

1987 Magna Outrageous 18 Speed Bicycle Ad - So Fast!

I had one as a kid. $79.95 at Child World in the late 80's. Spent money getting it back on the road a year ago to find out it wouldn't fit. The bike was AWFUL. Heavy, klunky. No wonder why I was always last and couldn't keep up with the other kids!
Did you keep the bike after you realized it wouldn't fit? It's still kind of cool to have a relic from child hood. Any pictures to post?
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 05-08-20, 08:54 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
It's still kind of cool to have a relic from child hood. Any pictures to post?
WORD.

I went home for Christmas two years back and started looking for my metallic blue 24" Giant. I was confident I could make it work better than it ever had. I found a couple of bikes, but was told that my youngest brother gave the bike to an in-law 4 or 5 years ago. He was going to ask about it, but I haven't heard anything. With the state of Early to mid 90's Giant catalogs online, I can't even figure out how decent it was.
Old 05-08-20, 09:16 AM
Bogester 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 125 Posts
Here’s a pic of a Magna I found on the corner. I fixed it up and gave it to my daughter...she thought it was pretty cool.
Old 05-08-20, 09:20 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogester
Here’s a pic of a Magna I found on the corner. I fixed it up and gave it to my daughter...she thought it was pretty cool.
Man, according to your camera that was 13 years ago...
Old 05-08-20, 09:28 AM
Bogester 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Man, according to your camera that was 13 years ago...

yes...she’s not really into bikes anymore😕. She, and also my nephew, did learn to ride on the old green Magna though. Hopefully it’s still out there somewhere.
Old 05-08-20, 10:29 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
In my personal experience, the problem with most low end chain store bicycles is the rushed assembly by inexperienced personnel. Lower end components, don't make set-up easy but an experienced mechanic can make most low end bicycles function competently. I've come across very few bicycles that I would truly consider awful (unless they've been neglected, abused or worn out) and I've worked on hundreds of bicycles from department stores and hardware stores for going on six decades. It's frustrating working on the low end stuff, once you've worked on better equipment, but if you're calm and patient, you'd be surprised at how well a lot of these low end bicycles can be made to function. A lot of people just look at the brand and give up, even before they try. If you figure it's not worth your time and money, that's fine but the vast majority can be made to work properly.
Old 05-08-20, 10:34 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Couldn't even find a photo of one online (also, Google matches some off-color stuff to "Magna Outrageous"), except for the brochure. The full, official name appears to be the "Outrageous 18." I don't think I want to search that either - lest I wind up on some sort of a list.

I am fairly curious about seeing any sort of lugged steel bike with Magna badging though. Also, can't really tell what size this thing is - is it kids' road bike, a young adult's bike with EA3 wheels, or an adult sized bike with steel 27" rims?

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 05-08-20 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-08-20, 11:33 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
I purchased two Magna MTBs as my son's scout troop was preparing for a 5 day ride on the C&O Canal. Mechanically, they were up to the task, but dang that thing weighed a ton and was really slow (some blame does go to the aggressively treaded tires). They also had some of the ugliest, sloppiest welding I've even seen. Repeated the adventure a few years later using a Trek 830 and a Giant Iguana. It was so much more enjoyable.

p.s. the Magna's are long gone.
Old 05-08-20, 11:39 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
oh man, Lionel
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-18-20, 06:10 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
WORD.

I went home for Christmas two years back and started looking for my metallic blue 24" Giant. I was confident I could make it work better than it ever had. I found a couple of bikes, but was told that my youngest brother gave the bike to an in-law 4 or 5 years ago. He was going to ask about it, but I haven't heard anything. With the state of Early to mid 90's Giant catalogs online, I can't even figure out how decent it was.
That is funny, I have tried the same thing with the Giant that I had in the early to mid-90s. I'm guessing mine was an entry level ATB. Just can't figure out if it had 26" wheels or not. Mine was metallic blue too, the grips had the Giant logo all over them, which I thought was super cool then. It wasn't my first bike, it was my first "real" bike. Before that, I had a Sears bike, all white with green tires. No decals at all.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)