Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

DIY cutting threads into 1" steerer

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-20, 07:41 AM
Stockton350

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi - I've got some 1" forks that I'd like to use for some projects, but need to extend the threaded section. Park tool sells a 1" 24 TPI tool for $250.

1" 24 TPI dies are also available separately for 10 times less.

Does anyone know if using a generic 1" 24 die would work (provided I go slow and use oil, etc.)? Anyone know what the pitch (fine vs course) is on a standard fork? Thank you.
Old 05-11-20, 08:09 AM
eeuuugh

Bikes: Aerotek 4000, Trek 950, Huffy Nel Lusso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 49 Posts
I bought an $8 1"x24tpi die on ebay last month, used it to extend the threads on a steer tube yesterday, and am fairly sure I destroyed the fork's usability. It removed way too much material. I've never had that problem with the Park die. Can't comment on a $25 die, but don't get an $8 die.

The pitch on a standard fork is 24 threads per inch. This is a fairly fine pitch. The standard pitches for a 1" diameter are 8tpi (UNC-unified national coarse) and 12tpi (UNF-unified national fine). Bicycle forks use finer threads than the UN standard, probably because coarser threads are deeper, and would require thicker material.
Old 05-11-20, 08:11 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Best done on a lathe in my opinion. It's hard enough chasing existing steerer threads with a hand die, let alone cutting new threads. It can be done by hand but a lot of torque is required. If you are going to try it out, have the fork clamped well in a fixture at multiple points. Use a long tap handle. Do not put the die in a vise and twist the fork blades to turn the steerer - good chance of tweaking the blades out of alignment.
Old 05-11-20, 08:18 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2421 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Check with Mike Terraferma - he's got a Silva-made machine called the La Combinata. I've seen it perfectly add threads to a threadless 1" fork.

I have the Hozan tool with the die holder and guide, but have never tried to use it to start threads.

-Kurt

Old 05-11-20, 08:55 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by Stockton350
Does anyone know if using a generic 1" 24 die would work (provided I go slow and use oil, etc.)?
The 1" x 24tpi die should be fine. If your die stock is unpiloted, you need to be careful to keep it on axis. This is more of an issue when threading an unthreaded tube; extending threads allows the existing threads to pilot the die to a large extent, but it still pays to be careful.

Anyone know what the pitch (fine vs course) is on a standard fork? Thank you.
Not sure what you're asking here. 24tpi is the pitch for an English/ISO standard 1" threaded steer tube.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-11-20, 09:12 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,793 Times in 2,280 Posts
When making my fork at the UBI framebuilding school, they were out of super long threaded steerers (my frame had a very long head tube). I was given an unthreaded 1" steerer and a Park HS threading tool. It took a lot of effort, I had to stop and rest my arms and shoulders a few times, but it was doable.

I've also ruined a fork once that needed threads extended. The top wasn't square, and I started the threads off axis, ended up ruining it, so follow John's advice, above if you're doing this.
Old 05-11-20, 09:49 AM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
The split dies are an important part of the bike specific ones I Think. That combined with the adjustable die stock to tweak the fit make a difference.
Old 05-11-20, 10:49 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
If your die stock is unpiloted, you need to be careful to keep it on axis. This is more of an issue when threading an unthreaded tube; extending threads allows the existing threads to pilot the die to a large extent, but it still pays to be careful.
Just spitballin' here, but I wonder if using an old disused top race, flipped upside down, to "follow" the die as you go would help keep it on axis.
Old 05-11-20, 11:00 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
I couldn't begin to count how many steerers I've extended threads on.....use a lot thread cutting oil. I use to clamp forks in a vice.
Old 05-11-20, 11:07 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
1) make sure the current threads have absolutely no debris or corrosion in them, clean thouroghly with a wire brush and solvent.

2) when cutting new threads, take small passes, back-up frequently to remove the metal chips with a brush, apply more cutting fluid and continue.
Old 05-11-20, 11:59 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
1 step forward, 2 steps back and I use anti-seize with cutting oil.

As always, patience is key and check your work as you go.
Old 05-11-20, 05:16 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
I got the Hozan tool tool cheap, with extra bits, used it once so far to extend the threads on a steerer - was my first time, but I know how to use a diestock and had no problems If you've used a small one enough to know what you are doing it's no different, just more work.

And yes, a good die is worth what it costs. Cheap ones are cut then hardened and they can distort during the hardening process. Good ones are hardened and then ground.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 05-11-20, 05:51 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I have a Gavan 1" - 24 that I've used to extend threads on a steerer. It takes a lot of effort but results are good. I clamp the fork crown into my hefty wood vise and use a lot of cutting oil. The die cost me about $35.
Old 05-11-20, 06:16 PM
Tusk

Bikes: 1986 Scwinn Prelude 20?? Motobecane Ti 'Le Champion"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Machine shop - cheaper than a $250 tool
Machine shop - much higher quality than a $35 tool.