Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-20, 06:34 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
I should have never found this thread. But I did, and now you know what I had to do. I had to build one.

I have a question, but I think I already know the answer. It's a 1986 Schwinn High Sierra. The original rollers brakes looks like they were replaced with Shimano U-Brakes.
Researching what options I have for brakes, am I correct to say that I am only limited to roller cam brakes and BMX style U-Brakes? And since U-Brakes are easy to purchase, what is normally the largest tire I can fit using U-Brakes?

In any case, the frame's going to the powder coating shop this morning. The frame is the tan/chocolate color scheme. I plan to keep the entire frame as tan. Pics once I have this built.

Last edited by friday1970; 04-22-20 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-22-20, 06:56 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Welcome to the forum Koiboy .
I would recommend a 21 inch vintage frame which in general, would have a reasonably level top tube and rigid front forks. Your legs seem to match your height. My legs are 1cm shorter than yours but I am not quite 5,10 theses days with long arms. This allows me to ride bikes made for large average people like yourself. Sometimes the size is printed on the bike. You will likely want a new stem that is shorter and taller to put the bars where you want them. Like a Nitto Dirt Drop.
Old 04-22-20, 08:44 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 514 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970
I should have never found this thread. But I did, and now you know what I had to do. I had to build one.

I have a question, but I think I already know the answer. It's a 1986 Schwinn High Sierra. The original rollers brakes looks like they were replaced with Shimano U-Brakes.
Researching what options I have for brakes, am I correct to say that I am only limited to roller cam brakes and BMX style U-Brakes? And since U-Brakes are easy to purchase, what is normally the largest tire I can fit using U-Brakes?

In any case, the frame's going to the powder coating shop this morning. The frame is the tan/chocolate color scheme. I plan to keep the entire frame as tan. Pics once I have this built.
Yes, the posts for roller cam and U-brakes are mounted much higher on the frame than for cantilever brakes. The only options are to use a different bmx caliper, or have a frame builder move the post location for cantilevers. Or you could go really crazy and switch over to disc brakes, but that brings up a whole bunch of other issues. As for tire clearance, it depends on the actual tire, since the numbers on the sidewall are only an approximation of the actual size. Also, some have knobs that protrude outside of their nominal size designation.
Old 04-22-20, 02:13 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Koiboy
Hello you all

So, being stuck at home like half of the planet, I thought I would browse the french equivalent of craigslist to try and find a decent old 26" MTB to convert into a (so-called) "monstercross" but I seem to face a problem :

So do you have any advices and/or references (websites...) to share...
Florent
Welcome to BF!

It sounds like you have done some research already. This site is searchable and you should be able to find just about any info. you need right here with a little patience.

You are fairly tall with a long inseam - so 21" to 23" MTB frame size is a good starting point for old-school MTB's with level top tubes.

For bikes with sloping top tubes - that are sized using the S - M - L designation - you should look for a Large. When you change from flat bars to drop bars that may make the frame seem smaller - lots of advice re: this can be found in this thread.

And, since you are buying from CL then you'll certainly be able to test ride the bike.

If you see any interesting possibilities on CL you can post them here for suggestions re
: the particular bike - you need 10 posts before you can post photos to this site. It would be interesting to see what's available in France as compared to the US.

Good Luck.
Likes For jlaw:
Old 04-23-20, 04:00 PM
Koiboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Welcome to the forum Koiboy .
I would recommend a 21 inch vintage frame which in general, would have a reasonably level top tube and rigid front forks. Your legs seem to match your height. My legs are 1cm shorter than yours but I am not quite 5,10 theses days with long arms. This allows me to ride bikes made for large average people like yourself. Sometimes the size is printed on the bike. You will likely want a new stem that is shorter and taller to put the bars where you want them. Like a Nitto Dirt Drop.
Well that was short and sweet (compared to my blabering).

Seems I've got everything I need. That sizes narrows down my options, though, as most of the decent bikes I can find on ads are like 19" (48 cm) or shorter, so it seems... :-/
But a very few are labeled XL or 53 cm. I shall look into them, then.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-20, 04:14 PM
Koiboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
Welcome to BF!

It sounds like you have done some research already. This site is searchable and you should be able to find just about any info. you need right here with a little patience.

You are fairly tall with a long inseam - so 21" to 23" MTB frame size is a good starting point for old-school MTB's with level top tubes.

For bikes with sloping top tubes - that are sized using the S - M - L designation - you should look for a Large. When you change from flat bars to drop bars that may make the frame seem smaller - lots of advice re: this can be found in this thread.

And, since you are buying from CL then you'll certainly be able to test ride the bike.

If you see any interesting possibilities on CL you can post them here for suggestions re
: the particular bike - you need 10 posts before you can post photos to this site. It would be interesting to see what's available in France as compared to the US.

Good Luck.
Thank you for your answer too

I'll dig more deeply into the forum to get other info/inspirations already present.

In the ads I see, many bikes are labeled as L, M, S... but are actually not sloppy. And I can tell that they don't always relate from one another. I've started to write the sellers to ask for measurement, when in doubt, then.

Just to make sure : they should measure it from the center of the crank up to the intersection of the top tube, right...? Just to make sure. I hope it's right because if it is until the seatpost exit, then it's gonna become tricky as sometimes, some are up to a few centimeters above the intersection (I hope I'm clear... T_T).

Anyway, is the blue bike on the picture you posted yours? That's a true beauty!!! I don't know this brand/model but here again, in France, no chance to find a MTB with lugs, sadly... mostly cheap brands from France or Asia.

Cheers!
Old 04-23-20, 04:22 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
Hello you all

So, being stuck at home like half of the planet, I thought I would browse the french equivalent of craigslist to try and find a decent old 26" MTB to convert into a (so-called) "monstercross"

Florent
Leboncoin? I love browsing that for French bikes. Most of my stable of bikes are French.

And welcome!

Old 04-23-20, 04:30 PM
Koiboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scozim
Leboncoin? I love browsing that for French bikes. Most of my stable of bikes are French.

And welcome!
Thank you and yes! Leboncoin exactly! Many ads there daily to sort out (I browse for the whole France as I can't afford to limit the ones near the place I live... there are none! XD ).

But for you, that makes a long way to come and get your bikes until WA, doesn't it...?
Old 04-23-20, 04:34 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
Thank you and yes! Leboncoin exactly! Many ads there daily to sort out (I browse for the whole France as I can't afford to limit the ones near the place I live... there are none! XD ).

But for you, that makes a long way to come and get your bikes until WA, doesn't it...?
I've only got one bike that came from France (as a frame). It was a mid-70's Gitane Olympic but I was able to get it from a fellow member here. I just like French bikes so I go through Leboncoin just to see what is there. Shipping would probably be too expensive unless it was a dream bike

Old 04-23-20, 11:21 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts

1989 Trek 950. Dropped in drop bars and RSX shifters/brake levers. 3x7, shifts ok, needs a little fine tuning. Almost ready to ride. Still needs bar wrap.

EDIT....

Rides pretty good, save for the heavy box store bike tires on it. There is a "clunk" I haven't pinned down yet, but may be the BB. Need some red bar tape for this...

Last edited by zjrog; 04-27-20 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-13-20, 04:14 PM
Niall Dublin

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Cannondale M800

Hi Folks, I just signed up from Ireland today, after spending the last 2 days going through the last 30 pages or so of this thread, and enjoying all the inspiring bikes ! I'm thinking I'd like to do a drop bar conversion on my Cannondale M800, which I bought new in 1992 (I think) while on holidays in Florida. I know some of you will already have guessed my problem, as I noticed a few similar mentions earlier, but hopefully some of you can assist ! The Cannondale M800's have an oversize fork/stem combo, the Steerer ID and the Stem OD are 28.6mm diameter. The original stem is probably acceptable for height, but is 13cm long, and I would need to get down to 6 or 8cm, but there are hardly any alternatives as far as I can see. The only possibility I've found so far is the largest size Nitto threadless Converter, which doesn't seem to be available anywhere at the moment, and is only 13cm long, so if I do find one, I'd need to add an extender, and a suitable threadless stem. Am I right in thinking that another possibility would be to put a sleeve in the steerer to downsize the ID from 1 1/8" to 1" so I would have a choice of Quill stems or threadless converters ? I would prefer not to change the fork if possible. I'd appreciate any other suggestions you might have. Thanks, Niall.
Old 05-13-20, 06:11 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Niall Dublin
Hi Folks, I just signed up from Ireland today, after spending the last 2 days going through the last 30 pages or so of this thread, and enjoying all the inspiring bikes ! I'm thinking I'd like to do a drop bar conversion on my Cannondale M800, which I bought new in 1992 (I think) while on holidays in Florida. I know some of you will already have guessed my problem, as I noticed a few similar mentions earlier, but hopefully some of you can assist ! The Cannondale M800's have an oversize fork/stem combo, the Steerer ID and the Stem OD are 28.6mm diameter. The original stem is probably acceptable for height, but is 13cm long, and I would need to get down to 6 or 8cm, but there are hardly any alternatives as far as I can see. The only possibility I've found so far is the largest size Nitto threadless Converter, which doesn't seem to be available anywhere at the moment, and is only 13cm long, so if I do find one, I'd need to add an extender, and a suitable threadless stem. Am I right in thinking that another possibility would be to put a sleeve in the steerer to downsize the ID from 1 1/8" to 1" so I would have a choice of Quill stems or threadless converters ? I would prefer not to change the fork if possible. I'd appreciate any other suggestions you might have. Thanks, Niall.
If you can find a sleeve, that should do the trick.I used one for a while and it was not a problem. However, I think the M800 came with a 1.25 (rather than 1.125) stem so you may not be able to find a ready made sleeve. If that is the case, Joel Greenblatt at Clockwork Bikes makes custom stems but they aren't cheap. I ended up going with a custom made stem from him and he was no problem to work with. There may be others who will do it as well.
Old 05-13-20, 06:54 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Sunlite makes a nice 1 1/8 quill stem, 80mm, for less than $20 on Ebay. May well be available elsewhere too. It has the two bolt clamp which I like, makes swapping handlebars super easy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunlite-All...0AAOSwa81aA6oD

Perhaps the ugliest stem made, but this one is a 60mm. Note 26.0 bar clamp.

https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...iABEgIRk_D_BwE

Myself, I prefer the Sunlite stem.

Last edited by wrk101; 05-13-20 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-14-20, 02:46 AM
Niall Dublin

Hi Andy, Thanks, and you are correct, I find these sizes quite confusing as they are not what they say on the tin ! When I measure the stem outside diameter it is 28.6mm diameter (1 1/8"). This fits into a 1/1/4" steerer, so I think it is called a 1 1/4" stem. I'll have another look for a sleeve. A custom stem sounds nice, I must check that out. Thanks.
Old 05-14-20, 02:50 AM
Niall Dublin

Hi wrk101, Thanks for the suggestions, but as you can see from my above reply to Andy, the stems you linked to are called 1 1/8", but when I look at the spec, the quill diameter is only 25.4mm (1") so they would be too small. I need a stem that has an actual outside diameter of 1 1/8", which appears to be known as a 1 1/4" stem ! Confusing or what ! Cheers, Niall.
Old 05-14-20, 05:36 AM
Yewtree28

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to the forum. I've picked up a Pinarello flatbar on the cheap, think it is the Treviso model in great condition and using at as a project bike to convert to drops. I'm mainly struggling with the gear shifters, is the best solution the tektros520 levers and bar end shifters or is there something neater? Thanks in advance
Old 05-14-20, 08:46 AM
Niall Dublin

Cannondale M800 Stem

Found this in Bicycle Mechanics forum, which doesn't really come to any conclusion, sorry I can't post ULRL's yet.

does anyone make a 1-1/4 quill stem to 1-1/8 threadless adaptor?

Old 05-14-20, 09:02 AM
Niall Dublin

Cannondale M800 Stem

Also found this in Mechanics, which explains it a bit better.

On a "quill" stem, the outside diameter of the quill matches the inside diameter of the steerer tube. "Headset size" always refers to the outside diameter of the steerer. Old, "road standard" forks used 1" diameter steerers and 22.2mm (aka 7/8") diameter quill stems. When "oversize" mountain bikes with 1 1/8" and 1 1/4" headsets came along, they matched up with 25.4mm (1") and 28.6mm (1 1/8") diameter quills. Does that help?
Old 05-14-20, 09:39 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by Yewtree28
New to the forum. I've picked up a Pinarello flatbar on the cheap, think it is the Treviso model in great condition and using at as a project bike to convert to drops. I'm mainly struggling with the gear shifters, is the best solution the tektros520 levers and bar end shifters or is there something neater? Thanks in advance
Hi there, you have probably posted in the wrong thread (this is about mtb conversions specifically). You might do better starting your own thread.
Basically you could use the bar ends, or downtube shifters, or even do a modern upgrade with integrated shift levers. The latter would possibly require a new rear wheel and rear derailleur, but more specifics would be required for better advice.
Old 05-14-20, 04:16 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Hi wrk101, Thanks for the suggestions, but as you can see from my above reply to Andy, the stems you linked to are called 1 1/8", but when I look at the spec, the quill diameter is only 25.4mm (1") so they would be too small. I need a stem that has an actual outside diameter of 1 1/8", which appears to be known as a 1 1/4" stem ! Confusing or what ! Cheers, Niall.

The one I linked to is a 1 1/8 stem. 1 1/8 stems have a 1 inch quill. It’s the OD of the steer tube that is 1 1/8. 1 inch stems measure 22.2mm, while 1 inch = 25.4mm.

Can’t make up the nonsense in the bicycle world. Regardless I linked to a 1 1/8.

But if you go to a bike shop and order a 1” stem, you will get 22.2mm, and if you order a 1 1/8 stem you will get a 1 inch quill.
Old 05-14-20, 04:52 PM
Niall Dublin

Originally Posted by wrk101
The one I linked to is a 1 1/8 stem. 1 1/8 stems have a 1 inch quill. It’s the OD of the steer tube that is 1 1/8. 1 inch stems measure 22.2mm, while 1 inch = 25.4mm.

Can’t make up the nonsense in the bicycle world. Regardless I linked to a 1 1/8.

But if you go to a bike shop and order a 1” stem, you will get 22.2mm, and if you order a 1 1/8 stem you will get a 1 inch quill.
Yep, understand all that, but as I said I need a quill that measures 1 1/8" actual diameter, so it would be called 1 1/4", which are pretty hard to track down.
Old 05-18-20, 05:26 AM
10eroftheyear

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 7 Posts
Something I'm working on

My '98 GT Outpost that I bought new so many years ago. Almost complete in its new role, dirt drop single speed!
Likes For 10eroftheyear:
Old 05-18-20, 07:12 AM
rmplum

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts
Lots of cool rigs in here. I'm on my 3rd or 4th? drop bar mtb I just keep coming back to them. If you get the setup and reach right they can be very good all arounders. I'll post shots of mine in a bit when I can add links and pictures (need a few more posts).
Old 05-18-20, 02:57 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Yep, understand all that, but as I said I need a quill that measures 1 1/8" actual diameter, so it would be called 1 1/4", which are pretty hard to track down.
Looks like Nitto makes an adapter to adapt to a threadless stem (second one down): https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=23896
Old 05-18-20, 10:05 PM
rmplum

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts
couple of $25 or so Diamond Back quill stems on ebay right now - they are long but with the 1-1/4 quill size you need...,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.