Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Strava Changes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Strava Changes

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-20, 04:15 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Straw man argument. You don't like Strava. I get it. Since you don't like Strava, why do you care enough to post complaints about Strava here (which is social media, FWIW)? There are dozens of services I don't like. I have no idea whether they charge too much because I don't use them.

Have a great day, hope your employers continue to value your services enough to pay your salaries/fees/commissions.
A straw man argument is arguing against something the other person didn't say. You said if you like a service, you'd pay. Where's the line? I liked Strava well enough to use them a bit, but the critical factor you're willfully not understanding is my lack of trust in them. They capriciously drop features and support, which means I have zero incentive to pay for a service which I do not trust to continue in the future. Also, once I hand over a dollar, my tolerance for bugs drops considerably, as I go from a guest to a client.

And yes, I've pointed out that this place is social media several times myself. However, in this context, I was referring to the Social Media companies. Surely you understand context?

And yes, my employers will continue to value my services. Thank you for your concern for my well-being, sarcastic as it comes off.
Old 05-19-20, 04:18 PM
esarhaddon
Lurker

Bikes: Trek Domane Koppenberg, Bombtrack Hook 2, Jamis Durango

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Which one? I downloaded Golden Cheetah and it seems to have a ton of metrics, but I am yet to figure out an easy way to compare efforts, particularly efforts along the same route. This is so simple in Strava and so clear. You have segments, and you have your laps.
If you want to make a segment type thing in Golden Cheetah. Right click on the Interval you want to make a segment of in the Interval Pane of the Sidebar and select 'Create a Route Segment'. Then you can name and save that segment, so it should show up in every activity that has that segment of road or virtual road, just like strava. To compare all of your times drag and drop it into the Compare Pane to do comparisons of the Data Graphs (later edit - I renamed the 'Performance' Chart -> 'Data Graphs' which makes more sense as a title to me for a bunch of graphs).

some pictures showing Golden Cheetah segments in action - https://imgur.com/a/YiOsW24

Last edited by esarhaddon; 05-20-20 at 06:54 AM. Reason: clarity
Likes For esarhaddon:
Old 05-19-20, 04:20 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Since it’s been free I understand some don’t want to pay.

Suppose Google decided to charge a small monthly fee of $5 for your searches and gmail. I guarantee people would be up in arms. Unhappiness comes from unmet expectations.
If Google decided to charge, I could make a reasoned decision as to whether the price being asked was worth the service being offered. There's certainly no reasonable reason to expect them to provide a service for free. As it happens, they get their revenue without charging for services, and that model has worked well for them. Time will tell if Strava's model works in the long run. I suspect their advertising revenue was coming up short, hence the fees for features.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-19-20, 04:22 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
FWIW, I wasn't talking about phones- that has nothing to do with Strava. Cell phones have been around since the mid 80's. Landline phones for obviously our whole lives. Texting since the mid 90s.
I was referring to smartphones, apps, mobile data plans and wifi, and the associated cost of such that enables us to check the weather, look at a map, track a ride, etc. To be honest though, I don't even run Strava on my cell phone though I think I do have the app. I always use the PC. Paying for Strava is very much basically the same as paying for software which is all mostly subscription based now. Adobe Photoshop runs about $20 per month, Microsoft office is $100/year, Autocad is about $1700 per year. If you think Strava is worth it, then subscribe. If not, then don't.
I know what you're trying to talk about, and I'm directly shooting down your attempt to split smartphones from "phones", be they the almost-nonexistent feature phones or landlines, to attempt to make a smartphone a frivolous expenditure. Phones are a fundamental utility essential to functioning in modern society; Strava is (at best) a game. and one beset by cheaters and bugs. One is a need, the other is blatantly not.

However, I'll let y'all keep playing domestique for Strava. Carry that water.
Old 05-19-20, 04:22 PM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
A straw man argument is arguing against something the other person didn't say.
Yes it is.

You said if you like a service, you'd pay.
Yes I did.

Old 05-19-20, 04:37 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
I know what you're trying to talk about, and I'm directly shooting down your attempt to split smartphones from "phones", be they the almost-nonexistent feature phones or landlines, to attempt to make a smartphone a frivolous expenditure. Phones are a fundamental utility essential to functioning in modern society; Strava is (at best) a game. and one beset by cheaters and bugs. One is a need, the other is blatantly not.

However, I'll let y'all keep playing domestique for Strava. Carry that water.
Just try and forget smartphones for a moment. I apologize if I brought us to this unimportant tangent. I do use Strava but really never open up it on my phone.

As I mentioned, I don't even use my phone for really anything related to cycling, for any app. Except maybe Epic Ride (Darksky weather mixed with a RWGPS route)..and I guess the Garmin app shoots off my ride details after I hit save on my head unit. I also don't give a hoot for any of the leaderboard, KOM stuff. I think I've already said I use it for my own ride and health analysis, and I use the segment stuff for comparing myself to myself.

I'm not a Strava domestique, but will say that of the 3 apps I do run (on my PC) - Garmin Connect, RWGPS, and Strava, I do like it best for metrics presentation and performance tracking. FWIW, I also pay for Ride wGPS, for the map generation and because my club relies on it. As others have asked in this thread, what else is out there that offers similar functionality and reporting and doesn't cost more or now costs less?
Old 05-19-20, 04:42 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
I like Strava. I follow one of my brothers and one of my sisters, and they follow me. That’s it. I don’t care about other riders that I don’t know, as far as connecting or following them. I just like to track my rides and segments, and I like the data I get. It’s useful to me and pretty darned easy to pull. Worth my money. I don’t get why people are so upset about it. Free market, you can use other software if you don’t like Strava, right? Man, I thought *I* was serious about my training, but the vitriol and rage in this thread has shown me that I clearly need to up my passive-aggressive efforts.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 05-19-20, 05:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Just try and forget smartphones for a moment. I apologize if I brought us to this unimportant tangent. I do use Strava but really never open up it on my phone.

As I mentioned, I don't even use my phone for really anything related to cycling, for any app. Except maybe Epic Ride (Darksky weather mixed with a RWGPS route)..and I guess the Garmin app shoots off my ride details after I hit save on my head unit. I also don't give a hoot for any of the leaderboard, KOM stuff. I think I've already said I use it for my own ride and health analysis, and I use the segment stuff for comparing myself to myself.

I'm not a Strava domestique, but will say that of the 3 apps I do run (on my PC) - Garmin Connect, RWGPS, and Strava, I do like it best for metrics presentation and performance tracking. FWIW, I also pay for Ride wGPS, for the map generation and because my club relies on it. As others have asked in this thread, what else is out there that offers similar functionality and reporting and doesn't cost more or now costs less?
Connect.

Honestly it's like a better version of Strava if you don't care about competing with strangers.

Unfortunately you have to use the desktop version for the power curve.
Old 05-19-20, 05:16 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Non-paying nor will I ever pay. I'd rather have ads and keep it like it was.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 05-19-20, 05:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I mostly use Strava for the social benefits. I've been paying for Training Peaks for years for actual data analysis, and I guess I'd rather not pay for two things which will be substantially similar. On the other hand, I'm halfway through a local socially-distant TT series that depends on Strava. I will probably sign up for the free trial and then drop it.
Old 05-19-20, 08:59 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
It's almost the end of the day, May 19th, and none of these changes have happened yet. Hurry TF up with the changes already, Strava, I wanna see how awful the free version is so I can delete my account already...
Old 05-19-20, 09:16 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
I like Strava. I follow one of my brothers and one of my sisters, and they follow me. That’s it. I don’t care about other riders that I don’t know, as far as connecting or following them. I just like to track my rides and segments, and I like the data I get. It’s useful to me and pretty darned easy to pull. Worth my money. I don’t get why people are so upset about it. Free market, you can use other software if you don’t like Strava, right? Man, I thought *I* was serious about my training, but the vitriol and rage in this thread has shown me that I clearly need to up my passive-aggressive efforts.
​​​​​​Anybody who disagrees with me is an ogre that eats babies.

See? That wasn't so hard.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-19-20, 10:05 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Have the changes already gone into effect? I don't notice any difference.
Old 05-19-20, 10:11 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
There is an 150.0.1 update to the app in que, but I have not taken it as I wonder if it will make this effective at least for just the app.

Likes For noisebeam:
Old 05-19-20, 10:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
I have paid since I started using it. I want the service to exist and want to do my part to support it. Who wants to be a freeloader?
That is an absurd question and you should be laughed at for even deciding to type it.
You clearly don't understand what the term 'freeloader' means. Strava allows for free accounts, so it isnt freeloading if someone uses the service for free.

Do better.
Old 05-19-20, 10:44 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Which one? I downloaded Golden Cheetah and it seems to have a ton of metrics, but I am yet to figure out an easy way to compare efforts, particularly efforts along the same route. This is so simple in Strava and so clear. You have segments, and you have your laps.
I echo your comments about Golden Cheetah. I have the application sitting on my computer desktop and I have yet to figure out a way to look at my results. The few times I have loaded and reviewed my rides, I'm left more confused than ever. Garmin Connect does what I need and I'm content. I'll stick with it.
Old 05-19-20, 11:07 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
It's almost the end of the day, May 19th, and none of these changes have happened yet. Hurry TF up with the changes already, Strava, I wanna see how awful the free version is so I can delete my account already...
I heard on the GCN Show it drops in two weeks .
Old 05-20-20, 02:11 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
seems pretty simple...either it's worth it to you or it isn't. however you decide to interface with it-or don't, the tech goalposts are always moving away from you...
choose/utilize/maximize another app/provider that supplies what you need/want and hope/pray it's cheaper and endures.

Last edited by diphthong; 05-20-20 at 02:18 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 05-20-20, 04:03 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by esarhaddon
If you want to make a segment type thing in Golden Cheetah. Right click on the Interval you want to make a segment of in the Interval Pane of the Sidebar and select 'Create a Route Segment'. Then you can name and save that segment, so it should show up in every activity that has that segment of road or virtual road, just like strava. To compare all of your times drag and drop it into the Compare Pane to do comparisons of the Data Graphs.

some pictures showing Golden Cheetah segments in action - https://imgur.com/a/YiOsW24
That is actually pretty helpful, thanks. I will dig into it more this weekend, I have a long one coming up.
Old 05-20-20, 06:13 AM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
That is an absurd question and you should be laughed at for even deciding to type it.
You clearly don't understand what the term 'freeloader' means. Strava allows for free accounts, so it isnt freeloading if someone uses the service for free.

Do better.
that’s an absurd reply. Do better.

Old 05-20-20, 07:19 AM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Since it’s been free I understand some don’t want to pay.

Suppose Google decided to charge a small monthly fee of $5 for your searches and gmail. I guarantee people would be up in arms. Unhappiness comes from unmet expectations.
They would, but also with reason.

Google drew in a lot of users to gmail with "free". So those users built their workflow around this free service (recognizing what it "costs" you in data, etc.). If they'd known years ago that Google would start charging for gmail they might have made a different choice. But now, because they've got tons of emails archived/organized/given out their gmail address they're locked into gmail and it's hard (though not impossible) to switch to an alternative.

Same thing with Strava - if you've saved all your activities there you're locked into them - it's possible, but not easy, to extract your ride data and move it elsewhere. If you care about keeping those records it's not easy to move to a different service to keep track of all your riding.

So, while on the one hand I understand the need for Strava to make money, there's also a whiff of exploiting locked in users.
Old 05-20-20, 07:51 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
that’s an absurd reply. Do better.
Bless your heart for this being the best you could come up with.
A simple- 'well yeah, now that I understand the definition, I guess free users aren't freeloaders' would have sufficed.
Old 05-20-20, 09:11 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
we're all kind of speculating until we see this actually roll out. I'm betting however that most people won't pay, and they could end up shooting themselves in the foot.

Anybody remember Photobucket.com? Photobucket was a free third party photo hosting site. At one point most of the photos on this site were hosted by Photobucket. They then imposed some really high fees, and everyone on here quit using them, and found other free or cheaper ways to manage digital images. Photobucket isn't publicly traded so its hard to see how they've fared financially, but it appears that they are a much smaller company as a result of changing to a subscription model.

To a lesser degree, I think Strava runs a similar risk.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-20-20, 09:16 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I guess I am a "freeloader". I have used it for free for a long time. I am actually thinking about the paid version so I can have "Beacon" for my wife's peace of mind. Joe
Old 05-20-20, 09:25 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I guess I am a "freeloader". I have used it for free for a long time. I am actually thinking about the paid version so I can have "Beacon" for my wife's peace of mind. Joe
doesn't garmin incident detection accomplish the same thing without paying for Strava?
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.