Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Newbaums Cushioned Cloth - Too thick to wrap from top down?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-25-20, 03:31 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts

I've always used Newbaum's cloth wrap, which is easy to wrap from the top down. Has anybody used their new cushioned wrap yet? Is it too thick for this method?

Last edited by polymorphself; 05-26-20 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-25-20, 04:20 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 146 Posts
Although I detest "bottom up" wrapping, (anything that requires more tape to finish is blasphemous), I think the NewNewbaums is so fat and contoured that you might have "peeling" if you wrap top down.

I bought some and haven't used it yet.
Likes For Reynolds 531:
Old 05-26-20, 04:54 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds 531
Although I detest "bottom up" wrapping, (anything that requires more tape to finish is blasphemous), I think the NewNewbaums is so fat and contoured that you might have "peeling" if you wrap top down.

I bought some and haven't used it yet.
Don't use "more tape".

Cut a 1" bit of innertube and roll it up the bars to the stem, wrap your tape, and unroll the bit of innertube over the free end.

The point of wrapping from the bottom is to prevent the free edge of the tape fraying from constant hand pressure. Wall-art bikes don't need this, of course, they instead need to show off the pretty little logos at the centre of the bars.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 05-26-20, 07:35 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Have yet to come across tape too thick to top down wrap. I too detest bottom up wrapping, but did buy a bigger rubber mallet to get the end plugs in.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 05-26-20, 10:27 AM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
Don't use "more tape".

Cut a 1" bit of innertube and roll it up the bars to the stem, wrap your tape, and unroll the bit of innertube over the free end.

The point of wrapping from the bottom is to prevent the free edge of the tape fraying from constant hand pressure. Wall-art bikes don't need this, of course, they instead need to show off the pretty little logos at the centre of the bars.

That's a good idea.
Old 05-26-20, 12:12 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Well, I've received it, and it is indeed too thick to wrap top down. You get ridged layers. I started and had to give up a few wraps in and go bottom up with some electrical tape at the ends. It's thicker than I imagined it would be. I've just ordered two rolls of my trusty regular cloth wrap. It was worth a shot, and I will say it's comfy, but I'd rather wear gloves or do two rolls of regular cloth if vibrations etc. were an issue. But I've never had an issue with cloth except for on much longer rides.
Likes For polymorphself: