Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Ordered my 19 Santa Cruz Chameleon Carbon C S, looking at upgrades, input welcomed!

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Ordered my 19 Santa Cruz Chameleon Carbon C S, looking at upgrades, input welcomed!

Old 06-07-20, 07:50 AM
FoundNemo

Bikes: 2019 Santa Cruz Chameleon Carbon C S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all! Just joined the forums and excited for the 2019 Santa Cruz Chameleon Carbon C S hardtail I ordered a few days ago. I spoke to the guys at Free Flite and was able to test ride a few full suspension mountain bikes and a few hardtails. Even on the 9k full suspension bike I tested, still really did prefer the hardtail myself since I'm on the road quite a bit too. Specs for the bike I ordered ar below and I'm looking to remove some of these parts prior to riding and upgrade a few things. I couldnt find the hardtail I wanted with all this stuff and with selling some of the parts, I can cherry pick exactly what goes on.

Thoughts are very welcomed for the items I am considering. As to my riding, I dont compete but some day may do some cross country style runs. I ride on the road, sidewalks and offroading/mountain trails but nothing "insane". Primarily want to get top of the line parts which last, can take a beating and drop more weight off the bike as it sits now. I realize its pricey and overall cheaper if you buy the bike with the parts, but I wanted to cherry pick what goes on so I went this route. More interested in fitment/quality than the price per se as I have some money saved to upgrade the bike. Selling the brand new takeoff parts should offset some of the cost a bit.

- Fork upgrade from Fox 34 Performance to Fox 34 Factory
- Groupset swap from GX Eagle to XX1 Eagle or X01 Eagle
- Brake upgrade from Guide T to G2 Ultimate but with one piece rotors to avoid warping risk on 2-piece rotors. Also would be open to carbon ceramic rotors and appropriate pads if they are durable.
- Headset upgrade from Cane Creek 40 IS to Cane Creek 110 or a Chris King Ceramic Bearing headset
- Wheel upgrade to Bontrager Kovee XXX Carbon 29 Rims
- Handlebar swap to Enve M6 MTB Carbon
- Stem upgrade to Enve M7 Carbon Mountain Stem
- Grips swapped to Revolution Pro Series Large Grips

Thank you in advance!
Old 06-07-20, 08:19 AM
mango

Bikes: '00 Nonfunctional Stumpjumper Comp hardtail

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome! I'm also a newbie. Your budget level is beyond mine, but with all the changes you are looking to do, so maybe I can't help you other than to buy the parts you take off and sell. But why didn't you just buy the Chameleon carbon frame and put together your dream build? I'm seeing the frame on sale for $1,300.
Old 06-07-20, 09:56 AM
FoundNemo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mango
Welcome! I'm also a newbie. Your budget level is beyond mine, but with all the changes you are looking to do, so maybe I can't help you other than to buy the parts you take off and sell. But why didn't you just buy the Chameleon carbon frame and put together your dream build? I'm seeing the frame on sale for $1,300.
Hiya! Just math based on the deal I got for the new bike made more sense to go that route. I got the bike for $2500 brand new (negotiated with the owner for a long time and agreed to have all the upgrades/labor done there), so if I can move the groupset for $500 (retails $633 with the Stylo crankset), the shock for $500 (retails $700), the brakes for $100 or so with rotors, handlebars, etc, it made much more sense to buy the whole bike. With those gone, I'll be out $1400 or so and I get the carbon frame, hubs, tires, wheels, saddle and dropper which is amazing, vs $1300 for just the frame. I'll sell the rims too eventually and go for the Kovee XXX 29's as the last mod.
Old 06-07-20, 10:45 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I think you are optimistic on your used pricing and upgrading things that won't really make a big difference. Google those parts and see what they can actually be bought for new from chainreactions and the like. Do the wheels FIRST and ride with everything else as is maybe do the bars if you just want some carbon bling.
Old 06-07-20, 10:53 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Just ride the bike. There is nothing wrong with it. You will gain nothing except lighter wallet.

For instance..... Cane Creek 40 is a quality headset. 40 stands for 40 years. Anything else is overkill. Change the headset when it gets bad.
DTSwiss hubs are good, why change them.

Maybe change the grips.
Old 06-07-20, 01:54 PM
mango

Bikes: '00 Nonfunctional Stumpjumper Comp hardtail

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with the others. The GX Eagle drivetrain is just fine. Replace it with the lighter groupset when it wears out.
Old 06-07-20, 02:59 PM
FoundNemo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fair enough, so maybe just save for the carbon wheels, some grips and a handlebar and rock out then, replacing the rest when its time?
Old 06-13-20, 07:58 AM
FoundNemo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker
I think you are optimistic on your used pricing and upgrading things that won't really make a big difference. Google those parts and see what they can actually be bought for new from chainreactions and the like. Do the wheels FIRST and ride with everything else as is maybe do the bars if you just want some carbon bling.
After test riding a few bikes at the local shop, I can confirm that its definitely NOT a waste of money upgrading to a nicer groupset than the GX Eagle. The precision and smoothness and quiet operation is sublime frankly. I rode about 10 miles (courtesy of the rep, super generous to let me do that!) on a full suspension carbon Trek with the X01 groupset (a bit heavier than the XX1 but more durable). Definitely could tell I dont need the full suspension for my needs. Not a bad upgrade at all since I have already sold the GX Eagle groupset with the Stylo 7k DUB crank on Craigslist for $525. Wasnt hard at all to move them. Also sold the Guide T brakes for $120 ($210 new) without rotors on Craigslist to a different guy. Net cost to upgrade to the X01 Eagle from GX Eagle and to the G2 Ultimate brakes from Guide T was $1190 only (no install cost since its all being done during bike setup).

Below is the build they are working on for me and I am freaking stoked to get on this thing and ride it out. I'll be out <$4k so far, with no carbon rims, for a fully upgraded otherwise carbon hardtail on 29" rims. Figure $6500 total once I change to Kovee XXX rims and the bike is top spec then really. Comparable full suspension bike is 10.5-11k, which is insanity. Reviews dont show much change for a CC frame upgrade so not worried about that for the cost for the hardtail.

Upgrades below, after extensive conversation with the local bike shop reps. Best part, zero labor since they are doing the installs all at the time of bike setup:

- The fork will not be changed to a Fox Factory. I dont need the adjustability and the rep said it would not be much of a change if i'm not competing so the Fox Performance fork would be plenty for my needs.
- Groupset is being upgraded to an X01 Eagle full groupset from the GX Eagle. Will be using a XX1 shifter for the carbon cover/weight ($37 more only over XO1). OCD hit hard for having all carbon handles on the shifter and brakes. The rep recommended the XO1 for more durability over the XX1, which is lighter but a bit more fragile (enduro focused). I dont care about remote shifting so didnt need the AXS parts and setup.
- Brakes upgraded from Guide T to G2 Ultimate. No change in the rotors, those will be SRAM Centerline 180mm's. Nice weight savings from the carbon lever and such, phenolic pistons for heat control and rainbow hardware for bling. Per the rep, Code RSC would be overkill for my intended use and heavier by far, not needed since I dont do gravity rides.
- Headset upgrade from Cane Creek 40 IS to a Cane Creek 110 headset. No weight difference of consequence, but it has a much better bearing inside and excellent seals to keep dirt/mud etc out. I'll be riding this bike for years so happy to invest a bit now for better stuff.
- Swapping from a Race Face Aeffect R handlebar (780mm) to a Spank Oozy Vibrocore 31.8mm aluminum handlebar. Didnt want to risk breaking a carbon handlebar, even if unlikely, given the outcome. Rep agreed although he said thats a rare issue. 75g lighter and less vibration (and a bit less feel which i can live with) transmitted.
- Swapping from a Race Face Aeffect R stem to an Industry Nine A318 31.8mm stem. 33 grams lighter, nothing really but its higher quality 7075 aluminum and billet so a bit lighter/prettier. Adding some titanium bolts.
- No change in grips until I test a few out and see what I like best.
- Removing the Maxxis Minion and Ardent Race tires and installing Maxxis IKON 3C EXO TR 29x2.35" tires. I ride the roads a decent bit so this should allow for decent offroad grip but less roll resistance. Drops 190 grams off too which is substantial at that distance from centerline in the wheel for only $170.

- No change in wheels yet, but likely doing the Bontrager Kovee XXX 29" carbon rims in a month or so. About 513g lighter, will be my last modification.

Overall, dropping 1.3-1.4lbs off the bike, 1 lb of which is rotating mass in the drivetrain and tires. Will be a bit over 2.5lbs less once I do the carbon rims, so 23.5-23.6lbs overall once I am done. Very happy with that!

Will post pics when its all said and done.

​​​​​

Last edited by FoundNemo; 06-13-20 at 08:07 AM.