Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Drop bars just an illusion for most?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are Drop bars just an illusion for most?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-19, 02:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by ab_antiquo
I'm not responsible for your lack of understanding.

As previously noted, I get more leverage when I'm in the drops vs. on the hoods. That's because my hands are further from the steering axis when I'm in the drops. That's not the sole reason of course, but that's what I brought up when replying to the other guy's erroneous claims about additional leverage being unnecessary.

Congrats on finally dropping the flat bar MTB vs. drop bar gravel bike nonsense.

I'm saving this conversation for the next time I need to engage in a leveraged bugout.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-22-19, 03:00 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by ab_antiquo
I'm not responsible for your lack of understanding.

As previously noted, I get more leverage when I'm in the drops vs. on the hoods. That's because my hands are further from the steering axis when I'm in the drops. That's not the sole reason of course, but that's what I brought up when replying to the other guy's erroneous claims about additional leverage being unnecessary.

Congrats on finally dropping the flat bar MTB vs. drop bar gravel bike nonsense.

I didn't drop out of anything other than endless tit for tat without purpose. Congrats on putting your personal spin on that.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 10-22-19, 06:50 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
This thread got so diverted into ridiculous arcane technical distinctions that I totally don't feel bad about this diversion --how are you doing? Are you doing any more riding these days? And just to stay on topic, do you ever reach for the drops and regret they're not there?
Thanks for asking. I wish I could say I'm doing better, though, but the inner demons are having their way again.

Between the problematic two-week road trip to Amman and all the nasty skullduggery at work in Riyadh, I hardly could get any miles in. I rode my old Raleigh the two miles to the Trek dealership last week - which wasn't exactly fun; a day later, I talked myself into taking my foldie out to run a couple of errands around the neighborhood, and maybe do 15 miles or so afterward. I was dead after about three miles. I could barely make it the half-mile or so back to the house without falling off of the saddle.
Old 10-23-19, 09:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by sjanzeir
Thanks for asking. I wish I could say I'm doing better, though, but the inner demons are having their way again.

Between the problematic two-week road trip to Amman and all the nasty skullduggery at work in Riyadh, I hardly could get any miles in. I rode my old Raleigh the two miles to the Trek dealership last week - which wasn't exactly fun; a day later, I talked myself into taking my foldie out to run a couple of errands around the neighborhood, and maybe do 15 miles or so afterward. I was dead after about three miles. I could barely make it the half-mile or so back to the house without falling off of the saddle.
I had a very similar experience trying to ride a '80s Peugeot that I got off CL for $25. A 1 mile ride later, I decided I had been out of my mind, couldn't stand the steel wheels and the DT shifters, and donated the bike. Everything on it worked, I just couldn't stand riding it.

We gotta get your bike problems sorted out--nothing worse than overcoming your inner demons enough to get on a bike that then treats you like it's an outer demon.
Old 11-09-19, 04:20 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Consider also the origin of hydraulic bicycle (disk) brakes; it's an MTB technology; Downhill racing in particular, an adaptation/evolution of motocross/'dirt-bike' tech.
Owing to the MTB origin, there is a 'Dude' factor in the name to refer to them, as opposed to rim brakes, or even mechanical disk brakes.
As in: "Dude, sweet Hydros!"

You just want to argue then.

PS: They don't brake from the drops either.
If you want to be hurt over arguing, then fine.

However, If you want to continue the Dropbar argument. Then post that in this thread, NOT where you posted it.
Old 11-09-19, 04:36 PM
Metieval

I really don't care how people want to use their bike equipment.
But to follow me around the Forum and bring this up in other topics, is as stupid as not using the drops if a person has drops.
Old 11-10-19, 02:48 PM
DynoD500_SR20-d
I ride to clear my mind

Bikes: Dyno D500-Ribble Endurance AL (2019) Tigara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Ok. Today I decided to stay in the drops while riding. I tell you one thing, it is great for the Middle Section and abs. I may ride more in it to keep my belly down
Old 06-13-20, 11:10 PM
Metieval

apparently this guys thumb grip wasn't enough riding the hoods.

Facebook Post " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
Facebook Post " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post

facebook.com/10621122/videos/10105117270101597 " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
facebook.com/10621122/videos/10105117270101597 " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post

https://www.facebook. com/10621122/videos/10105117270101597
Old 06-14-20, 01:12 AM
Nikefutbolero
Cycling Noob

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m looking to swap out my flat bars with drops
Old 06-14-20, 11:09 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Nikefutbolero
I’m looking to swap out my flat bars with drops
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...sions-271.html

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 06-14-20, 11:39 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I put drop bars on two of my MTBs last year and I find them very useful on windy days and I also like them when riding over rough terrain. I actually use the drops a lot and find them comfortable. My personal observation has been that large majority of cyclists who use drop bars never actually ride in the drops but spend all their time on the hoods. Some of them rotate their bars up to bring the hoods even higher which makes the actual drops useless and impossible to use or they have their hoods installed so high that using brake levers from the drops is impossible. So what's the point of drop bars when you never use them ??. Why use a drop bar bike when you don't even have the mobility to get into the drops ??.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-14-20, 01:14 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I started off as a BMX afficienado but never owned a MTB or a real "road bike". I did take neighborhood rides on a junker 10-speed, which I probably rode as a single gear (I don't even remember the shifting controls it had). My first bicycle purchase as an adult was the Trek 520 that I still own. I love drop bars. I ride the hoods. I ride the drops. On my newer bicycle purchase, I had the shop install a pair of cross-top levers, after discovering them as a way to fully adapt the bicycle to any type of hand-grip. I now feel foolish for wasting my money on these levers. They work fine, but I never ride with my hands on the flats. The useful grip positions are the hoods and the drops. In no way is riding in the drops an illusion. It is the way one rides a drop-bar bicycle when they want to go fast. What more needs to be said about it?
Old 06-14-20, 02:04 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Originally Posted by Nyah
I started off... I never ride with my hands on the flats. My useful grip positions are the hoods and the drops. In no way is riding in the drops an illusion for me. It is the way I ride a drop-bar bicycle when I want to go fast.
Edited for clarity.
Old 06-14-20, 02:13 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Edited for clarity.
You ride your drop-bar bicycle in some other manner when you want to go fast? If so, do you succeed in going fast, riding that way?
Old 06-14-20, 02:19 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

You ride your drop-bar bicycle in some other manner when you want to go fast? If so, do you succeed in going fast, riding that way?
I don't own a drop-bar bicycle. I converted the one bicycle that used to have drop bars to flat bars. And I go as fast as I need to. Because...

Old 06-14-20, 02:33 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

I don't own a drop-bar bicycle.
Well then, why are you arguing with me about what I said? As a drop-bar bicycles rider, I can say with authority that the drops are the handgrip position for maximum speed. Other handgrip positions have drawbacks which limit how much speed one can get out of this type of bicycle.
Old 06-14-20, 02:37 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Well then, why are you arguing with me about what I said? As a drop-bar bicycles rider, I can say with authority that the drops are the handgrip position for maximum speed. Other handgrip positions have drawbacks which limit how much speed one can get out of this type of bicycle.
No one's arguing with you. You're the one who's "arguing," with "authority," I might add, that what works for you should work for everyone else. You stood corrected, is all.

Last edited by sjanzeir; 06-14-20 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-14-20, 04:30 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
It's like trying to argue with a flat-earther...

No point.

Most have never even bothered giving them a chance, or ride so slow that this mystical "control" that us drop riders talk about is unfathomable to them.
​​​​​
Old 06-14-20, 07:28 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Originally Posted by Ross520
It's like trying to argue with a flat-earther...

No point.

Most have never even bothered giving them a chance, or ride so slow that this mystical "control" that us drop riders talk about is unfathomable to them.
​​​​​
I'm sure that I speak for the entire Flat-Barrer Community when I say that we flat-barrers aren't looking to be talked into or out of anything. We respect Drop-Barism as a faith and as a belief system just as much as we respect the convictions of our drop-barrer brethren. All we ask in return is that you respect our Flat-Barring religion and stop trying to shove your beliefs down our throats. Feel free to overtake as many of us as you'd like down any stretch of tarmac.

Last edited by sjanzeir; 06-14-20 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-14-20, 07:36 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
i like to ride in the drops but the older i get the more im on the hoods > mostly fixed w F & some SS w F&B brakes!
Old 06-14-20, 08:11 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I ride with no hands, the handlebar is for holding my GPS
Old 06-14-20, 09:09 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Actually, I think a too-small bike is more likely to make the drops hard to use. The small frame has handlebars that are harder to adjust upward relative to the saddle, therefore the drops would probably require flexibility and fitness that most recreational riders don't have.

A too-large frame would allow the bars to be higher relative to the saddle, therefore probably easier to use the drops.
I beg to differ, from personal experience. Most bikes bought by non-expert folks are too large for them and with that comes difficulty riding in the drops. I myself am in that group, unfortunately. The bike I still ride was new in seventies and while I updated every part of it since, the too big frame stayed and I never grew tall enough for it. I rode it in my teens and only returned to it some thirty years later. When on drops, my elbows are not bent enough, like I see on racers or serious bikers, and that makes it awkward.

As consequence, I ride mostly on tops, slope, or on hoods, maybe spend 5% of time in drops (when going fast on steep downhill), if that. And the reason very plainly is, the reach is too long because the top tube is too long, because the frame is too large. BTW I have the shortest stem you can get. End of seventies, in EU, some bike makers didn't even make small frame sizes like 54cm (or if they did, it would be in small series and rare to find in shops), 58cm would be the small size in those days and that is what I have. Women didn't ride bikes with drop bars then, and men were somehow supposed to be tall if they rode sporting bikes.

I found a good deal and bought a second hand bike recently, 54 cm or M size and that is much more my fit, didn't take it out for longer ride yet though (but if I were buying new bike and so had a choice, I'd try if I'd fit still smaller frame at 5'8). You can tell how small frames serious bikers have by how high their seat posts are raised and no wonder they can ride on drops and have elbows at almost ninety degrees. Yes, belly full is enough to make you feel uncomfortable in them, no matter the frame size LOL, I know that from visiting relatives on bike, coming home I can only stay on flat tops.

BTW I hate flat bars because they are so storage unfriendly, simply horrible.

Last edited by vane171; 06-14-20 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-14-20, 09:37 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
NO!
Tim
Old 06-15-20, 08:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It's amazing this stupid argument is getting revived.

Most people ride flat bar. A significant number of people ride drop bar. Drop bar is generally faster, but not by as much as a lot of people seem to think since most people who ride bikes of either type aren't really riding near the speed capabilities of their bicycles. Some people find one or the other type of bar more comfortable.

And a weird side argument where people put up videos and claim there would have been a different outcome if the person had been riding the drops.

I have no idea what the phrase "illusion for most" is supposed to mean, nor why anyone other than marketers and retailers should care what "most" people want or need. I buy bikes for myself or family members, I only care about our individual preferences which are different even within the family.

Should we now debate boxers vs. briefs?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-15-20, 08:33 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

I only wear boxers around the house, never outside, and only so often, when it's 45C outside and the air conditioners can hardly keep up. I didn't find them comfortable when I was more overweight than I am now. I put on briefs to go out if I'm not riding; I wear cheap padded cycling undershorts out of China when I'm riding.

So... flat bars?
Likes For sjanzeir:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.