Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Crescent Världmastarcykeln, unknown model

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-20, 10:15 AM
DarkSqrBishop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everybody! I was reading this forums lately and I decided to share something here now!

I had noticed these crescent Världmastarcykeln and I really like the orange design, so I decided to get one for myself. The task was not hard since they are everywhere actually!

The one I got is not in very good shape, but I think it can be recovered. In particular:
- idéale Saddle
- Huret shifters and front derailleur
- Atom pedals
- CLB competition brake calipers
- Mafac brake levers
- TA stamped crankset
- Normandy front hub
- Serial number 424...

I think that's it, someone has replaced the back wheel with a modern one with Shimano tiagra derailleur and 5 speed freewheel.

It is quite dirty and has many paint chips everywhere, the decals have suffered a lot also. At least there is no rust... M

when I got it, the dropouts had been spaced to 135mm and then a few washers and nuts were added in the axel to fill in the space. Additionally It was very assymetric, it feels almost like if only one side was bent. I
have already squeezed it together to a more normal size of 126mm and removed the spacers in the axel.

I might just replace the brake levers which are a bit stuck, with modern ones and update there chain and the freewheel so it gets ready to ride.

I am opened to suggestions,

PD: it has one piece crankset and I have not figured out yet how to remove it...

Last edited by DarkSqrBishop; 06-22-20 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-20-20, 10:56 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Based on the one piece crankset, the subject bicycle sounds like a Crescent Sport 305. The CLB Professional brakeset would not be OEM, though these were often equipped with CLB Racer. Does it look like this...

Old 06-20-20, 11:20 AM
DarkSqrBishop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is almost like that one, but not completely. The frame is the same, same decals too, but the fork is different, mine is fully orange.
Old 06-20-20, 11:23 AM
DarkSqrBishop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The chainring is different also, this one has 52/45 chainrings, don't know if it's relevant.
Old 06-20-20, 11:41 AM
DarkSqrBishop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just found this. It looks exactly like the one in the picture!

www.cykelhobby.com/bilder/bilder19/307sida.jpg
Old 06-20-20, 02:08 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 6,479 Times in 3,205 Posts
Världmastarcykeln.
Originally Posted by Rusty
Is that made up? It sounds made up.
A few more posts, and you can post photos.
Old 06-20-20, 04:59 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkSqrBishop
The chainring is different also, this one has 52/45 chainrings, don't know if it's relevant.
You've said "TA stamped crankset" and "one-piece crank". It sounds as though you have the original Crescent crank with a set of replacement rings. TA rings were available (in just about any possible number of teeth) in the standard three-pin pattern. The image in the ad actually shows what I believe are Simplex rings - they came with three little yokes to bolt them to the three-pin pattern.

The shiny bit on the fork on the bike in the ad is probably a stamped chrome cover, if so may well be missing from yours. Don't worry, all they do is look shiny.
Old 06-21-20, 11:48 AM
DarkSqrBishop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa

A few more posts, and you can post photos.
I didn't really got that...
Old 06-21-20, 11:52 AM
DarkSqrBishop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
You've said "TA stamped crankset" and "one-piece crank". It sounds as though you have the original Crescent crank with a set of replacement rings. TA rings were available (in just about any possible number of teeth) in the standard three-pin pattern. The image in the ad actually shows what I believe are Simplex rings - they came with three little yokes to bolt them to the three-pin pattern.

The shiny bit on the fork on the bike in the ad is probably a stamped chrome cover, if so may well be missing from yours. Don't worry, all they do is look shiny.
It might be that it got a replacement chainring, however three pin thing in the middle is also slightly different. The handlebar is not original neither, but the previous owner wrapped it with some brooks England leather tape which is very nice looking...
Old 06-21-20, 12:40 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Out of curiosity, where are you located?

I lived in Sweden for a number of years and saw the lower-end Crescents being used as daily bikes. The Fauber crank is pretty typical of older Swedish market cranks/BBs for the time, but I never found one in the USA.
Old 06-22-20, 03:19 AM
DarkSqrBishop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DiegoFrogs
Out of curiosity, where are you located?

I lived in Sweden for a number of years and saw the lower-end Crescents being used as daily bikes. The Fauber crank is pretty typical of older Swedish market cranks/BBs for the time, but I never found one in the USA.
Stockholm, that's why I said that they are easy to find. Although I didn't noticed that the back wheel was not original, otherwise I wouldn't have got that one...
Old 06-22-20, 04:02 AM
morrberg

Bikes: Olmo Competition, Wiler Trestina Ramata, Pinarello Special, Bianchi Campione del mondo

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cant post links just yet.. But if your know swedish i would recommend cykelhobby in swedish (just google it), from there you will be able to find out which model you have.
And if you search for "fauber religion" you will find "Fauber religion! En total guide!" on how to disassemble the cranks..
Old 06-22-20, 04:35 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by morrberg
I cant post links just yet.. But if your know swedish i would recommend cykelhobby in swedish (just google it), from there you will be able to find out which model you have.
+1 on cykelhobby. It was very helpful to me when I first got my bla 92319 Pepita. Great machine.
Old 06-22-20, 04:54 AM
morrberg

Bikes: Olmo Competition, Wiler Trestina Ramata, Pinarello Special, Bianchi Campione del mondo

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
+1 on cykelhobby. It was very helpful to me when I first got my bla 92319 Pepita. Great machine.
Yeah, and there is also the pepita list, google "Crescent racermodeller genom åren"
The only pepita with Huret derailleur was the 1968 92319, but the pepitas never had Fauber cranks. The 92319 from 1968 had Stronglight.
Old 06-22-20, 08:25 AM
DarkSqrBishop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by morrberg
Yeah, and there is also the pepita list, google "Crescent racermodeller genom åren"
The only pepita with Huret derailleur was the 1968 92319, but the pepitas never had Fauber cranks. The 92319 from 1968 had Stronglight.
The thing is that the bike looks exactly like this one: https://www.cykelhobby.com/bilder/bilder19/307sida.jpg

However the bike in that link does not seem to be the same as the bike here:

Old 06-25-20, 03:23 AM
DarkSqrBishop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this bike is very nice for daily rides, so what I'll do it's maybe restore it with some modern component, like new wheels built around some high flange hubs (in order not to have different wheels), maybe new seat and some painting. I have to decide if I look for old-school freewheel hub or just order a new high flange style one like the grand Bois hubs.

PD: I may order new decals as well
Old 06-25-20, 03:58 AM
DarkSqrBishop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In fact, the front wheel, including the front hub does not seem to be original anyway...
Old 06-25-20, 07:06 AM
kermie

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 56 Posts
Enjoy that ride. Sadly, with the age of these machines, things get changed out often, especially if they get damaged during their journey. Being the bike is plentiful in your area, you should be able to score some original rims.
Old 06-25-20, 07:44 AM
DarkSqrBishop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kermie
Enjoy that ride. Sadly, with the age of these machines, things get changed out often, especially if they get damaged during their journey. Being the bike is plentiful in your area, you should be able to score some original rims.
Sure, although I don't know how easy would be to find spare original parts. Anyone know which model is the bike in the first picture here?

Crescent 307

It is supposed to be a 92307 model, but it does not look as the same model in the pictures below.

​​​