Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Masi Flags Decal

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Masi Flags Decal

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-20, 08:32 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Masi Flags Decal

I asked this on my Masi bike pic thread, and P!N20 suggested it was worthy of a dedicated thread. By way of agreement, here I am.

What is the significance of the flags on the downtube decal of the Masi Gran Criteruim (and I think a few other Masi models)?

Mine has the flags of the United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, France, and the United States. The flag of Switzerland is obviously a plus, but what function do the others serve? P!H20 mentioned that there is some variation in the flags selected between different bikes. Anyone know why?
Old 06-22-20, 12:47 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I asked this on my Masi bike pic thread, and P!N20 suggested it was worthy of a dedicated thread. By way of agreement, here I am.

What is the significance of the flags on the downtube decal of the Masi Gran Criteruim (and I think a few other Masi models)?

Mine has the flags of the United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, France, and the United States. The flag of Switzerland is obviously a plus, but what function do the others serve? P!H20 mentioned that there is some variation in the flags selected between different bikes. Anyone know why?
Swap the transfer around, and the American style flag moves from RH front to LH rear.
Old 06-22-20, 01:04 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 883 Times in 377 Posts
I believe the flag you claim is Germany is actually Belgium,
Add Denmark, Germany and the Netherlands to that list and you get all the flags on the down tube decals sported by late '70s / early 80s Guerciottis. Don't ask me what they symbolize. Maybe the countries they were exported to?

Last edited by gearbasher; 06-22-20 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-22-20, 01:32 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by gearbasher
I believe the flag you claim is Germany is actually Belgium,
Add Denmark, Germany and the Netherlands to that list and you get all the flags on the down tube decals sported by late '70s / early 80s Guerciottis. Don't ask me what they symbolize. Maybe the countries they were exported to?
Yeah, I was just trying to figure that out. I hadn't realized that I have a different set of flags on the other side, and the German flag is there, but within the very limited scope of my heraldry knowledge the flag I previously thought was Germany doesn't seem to be quite right for Belgium either (I think the stripes are in the wrong order). May this is a flaw in the decal used when my bike was refinished?

Here's what I've got:

So on one side:

Great Britain
Belgium???
Italy
Switzerland
France
USA

On the side:

Germany
Luxembourg?
Spain
Finland
Austria
Sweden

Why these countries? Could it have had to do with the riders that Masi sponsored in a given year?

Last edited by Andy_K; 06-22-20 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-22-20, 01:37 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
Are they perhaps countries that hold a race in an annual series?
Old 06-22-20, 02:13 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 883 Times in 377 Posts
You right the Belgian flag's colors are in the wrong orientation. It should be black, yellow, red.
Also, the Italian flag should be Green, white, red.
And the Luxembourg flag could be the Netherlands. The difference is the blue and red are darker on the Dutch flag than the Lux. flag. With monitor/camera and actual transfer resolutions it is hard to tell.

This set has the Belgian colors in the right order but reversed and the Italian flag is correct:

Last edited by gearbasher; 06-22-20 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-22-20, 02:32 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by gearbasher
You right the Belgian flag's colors are in the wrong orientation. It should be black, yellow, red.
And the Luxembourg flag could be the Netherlands. The difference is the blue and red are darker on the Dutch flag than the Lux. flag. With monitor/camera and actual transfer resolutions it is hard to tell.
OK, Netherlands probably makes more sense. I'd guess to economize they used the same shade of blue and red everywhere on the decal.

I found several other examples on Google of Masi downtubes with the "Belgian" flag colors in the order they're in on mine. I can't seem to find one where they're right.
Old 06-22-20, 02:37 PM
repechage

The imaged set is a reproduction set, plenty wrong with it. Very different from the bikes I have, but other details changed even over time for the "official" bikes.
Too bad Bob Hovey did not finish his Masi bits page with downtube visual reference.

Note the US flag on the graphic starts with a white stripe.. The official flag starts up top with Red. "stars" in the blue field more appropriate for pre WWII layout.

Styling, Marketing, accuracy? Consult an encyclopedia.
Note also that the first sets of graphics of the "Barcelona" bikes, spelled Los Angles

Last edited by repechage; 06-22-20 at 02:42 PM.
Likes For repechage:
Old 06-22-20, 05:19 PM
Mike_Kelly

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 27 Posts
Masi Decals

The flags represent countries Masi's were ridden to victories. The set with the American flag is the Masi "America" set post 1973. The original European set did not have the American flag. Also the early Italy flag set has a black line separating the "compartments" as well as the one outlining the whole downtube decal.

As noted some of the vinyl reproductions are not entirely correct.

Mike Kelly
Hayward, WI USA
Likes For Mike_Kelly:
Old 06-22-20, 05:23 PM
repechage

I did a quick bit of referencing on the British flag side-

Belgium is Black ,Yellow, Red - ooops. Both the sheet and the bike have it wrong.
Italy is Green, White, Red in this case the sheet is correct, and the bike is in error.... Well, it was not made in Italy.
Original transfer on one of my Carlsbad bikes has those two flags flipped too.

The Flags line up kind of "suggests" the Grand Solon emblem as Oldsmobile used perhaps.
All in the marketing.

During the time the white bike was originally built, the Masi would be filled in yellow, a brighter more true hue yellow, and the Gran Criterium in white.
There was also a version on a blue field, Masi in white, GC in yellow. Masi in a darker Blue, GC in white.
In Italy, an option of red field too.

Last edited by repechage; 06-22-20 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-22-20, 06:35 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Reminds me of the MB-0 decal, which apparently included the flags of the countries who made the various parts of the bike (and California, for good measure)

Old 06-22-20, 08:47 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,894 Times in 930 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_Kelly
The flags represent countries Masi's were ridden to victories. The set with the American flag is the Masi "America" set post 1973. The original European set did not have the American flag. Also the early Italy flag set has a black line separating the "compartments" as well as the one outlining the whole downtube decal.
Good info. Do you have a source for that or just something you know?

Do you think Tommasini flag decals were for the same reason?

Old 06-22-20, 09:12 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Yeah, I was just trying to figure that out. I hadn't realized that I have a different set of flags on the other side, and the German flag is there, but within the very limited scope of my heraldry knowledge the flag I previously thought was Germany doesn't seem to be quite right for Belgium either (I think the stripes are in the wrong order). May this is a flaw in the decal used when my bike was refinished?

Spain
Spain flag is incorrect too; the yellow should be thick and the reds thin.
Old 06-22-20, 09:35 PM
Mike_Kelly

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
Good info. Do you have a source for that or just something you know?

Do you think Tommasini flag decals were for the same reason?

I have no idea of any other maker like Tommasini. My info is from personal experience with the Masi's I own and have owned and going to the Vigorelli a number of times to Masi's shop.
Old 06-22-20, 10:10 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by Mike_Kelly

As noted some of the vinyl reproductions are not entirely correct.

Mike Kelly
Hayward, WI USA
John Barron of Velostuf had a group of NOS, NIB 1972 Masi bikes- the link is no longer active. I vaguely recall there being a change after or with the “cross hair” downtube graphic.
the first generation is my favorite - an odd graphic as the name of the brand is subordinate to the model name and the flags are grouped at the top reading right to left on the bike. The head tube herald was also a silk screening tour the force. Registration I could see being a nightmare, that initial year graphic package was used for a bit over a year. Late 1969, if one believes Ken Denny, 1970 and part of 1971.

the “crosshairs” design was also delicate to apply. It did not last long.

lots of other migrations over time for the balance of the elements.
Old 06-23-20, 04:27 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
I'm not global enough to help much here, but I DO have it from a reliable source that....

Your flag decal won't get you into heaven any more.

N'yuck, n'yuck, n'yuck. We miss you, John.