Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Giant Crosscut sidewall leaking

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-20, 09:45 AM
zarbog

Bikes: Giant SLR GX1 Toughroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

Have had trouble since day one with the rear tire leaking a bit at the bead. Finish Line sealant might be to blame. Last few weeks I started to notice damp spots on the sidewall of one side of the rear wheel, as well as some damp spots down in the tread. Started to drop quite a bit of air the last few days. Today I was going to go for a ride and I was down 15 pounds from yesterday. There was white Finish Line bubbles on the sidewall. I pumped up to 65 pounds, and watched the sealant coming out around the rim again, and all along the sidewall. In many spots it was bubbling air right through the sealant. 2200 kilometers on the tires and run them at 55 psi rear and 50 front.

I live in a fairly large city but the only tires in stock at any of the shops are Gravel King sk's in 38 mm. For the expense I would like to install tan sidewall tires and have not settled on a brand yet.

Do you think the tire, which two hours later has stopped bubbling will be safe to ride out in the boonies while I wait weeks on end for new tires, or should I just have the Gravel Kings installed.

192 poound rider on a 2018 Toughroad, with 70 percent tarmac and 25 percent smooth rail trail, with occasional forest trail and actual gravel road.
Old 06-26-20, 05:52 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
You didn't mention what size your tire is, but double check that the pressure you are using is correct. You can find charts online. Beyond that, you could try a different brand of sealant or just put a tube in it. I don't understand waiting "weeks on end" for new tires. You could probably pay a little extra and get next day delivery if it really mattered. FWIW, you can't go wrong with GravelKings. You might even prefer the smooth ones.
Old 06-26-20, 09:11 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
Are they the original tires, and are they wire bead? I think Giant makes a folding and wire bead version of that tire, but if it's wire, that may be your problem. If there are any bends in the wire, it makes it very difficult for the bead to seat perfectly in the rim like a folding bead does. I am also curious if you used high pressure (compressor or booster pump) to set the tires up.
Old 06-27-20, 07:27 AM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Sounds like the casing is leaking. The tires that came on my Salsa where supposed to be tubeless and started leaking sealant out of little pinholes along the sidewall could not get it to stop. The tires where good at first but eventually the leaking started. Replaced the tires have not had a problem since over many different brands
Old 06-27-20, 10:06 AM
zarbog

These are the original stock tires that came with the bike, set up by the shop. Has had to go back once for a re-seal because of rim leak. The casing is leaking both sides of the tire, around the entire diameter. I am not sure if they are wire bound tires. Inflation range is 50 to 75 psi, I was 50 front and 55 rear. Sounds just like what happened to wsteve464. Lots of pin holes in the casing and a rim leak. The picture is after todays ride, I've lost confidence in the tire.
Old 06-27-20, 10:34 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by zarbog
Have had trouble since day one with the rear tire leaking a bit at the bead. Finish Line sealant might be to blame. Last few weeks I started to notice damp spots on the sidewall of one side of the rear wheel, as well as some damp spots down in the tread. Started to drop quite a bit of air the last few days. Today I was going to go for a ride and I was down 15 pounds from yesterday. There was white Finish Line bubbles on the sidewall. I pumped up to 65 pounds, and watched the sealant coming out around the rim again, and all along the sidewall. In many spots it was bubbling air right through the sealant. 2200 kilometers on the tires and run them at 55 psi rear and 50 front.

I live in a fairly large city but the only tires in stock at any of the shops are Gravel King sk's in 38 mm. For the expense I would like to install tan sidewall tires and have not settled on a brand yet.

Do you think the tire, which two hours later has stopped bubbling will be safe to ride out in the boonies while I wait weeks on end for new tires, or should I just have the Gravel Kings installed.

192 poound rider on a 2018 Toughroad, with 70 percent tarmac and 25 percent smooth rail trail, with occasional forest trail and actual gravel road.
Here is my opinion. Some tires weep on the sidewalls. Period. They require sealant to stop this weeping. Finishline is not the right product for your tires. Stans or Orange Seal with latex would be better. Don't get me wrong... I am using Finishline and I like it and it's working for me. My tires are Vittoria which do not weep from the sidewalls.
Also... IMHO it is best to put the tires on without sealant and make sure they seal WITHOUT sealant..... mine do. The Finishline is there just to seal flats, not seal the tire to make it usable.
Old 06-27-20, 11:19 AM
zarbog

Originally Posted by trailangel
Here is my opinion. Some tires weep on the sidewalls. Period. They require sealant to stop this weeping. Finishline is not the right product for your tires. Stans or Orange Seal with latex would be better. .
I think you are probably correct. Just read a review of Finish Line and it's main strength is ease of cleaning. Not it's sealing ability. I know the shop uses it, probably for that reason.
Old 06-27-20, 12:20 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Yep buy a new tire. While you have the tire off check the rim tape that it goes all the way across the rim and covers the flat part of the rim all the way to the side of the rim also check to make sure there are no creases in the tape. As said above the tire should hold air for at least a day without sealant most tubeless will go a lot longer with everything set up right.

Just read the bit about the GK tires. Compare the shop price to the online price, GK tires are relatively cheap compared to other name brands. If the shop price is reasonable have them installed.

Last edited by wsteve464; 06-27-20 at 12:29 PM.