Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Personal bike shop

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Personal bike shop

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-20, 07:55 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I've been dabbling for a while and built or flipped quite a few bikes and haven't found the need to purchase these as yet.

6-8 speed eyeball alignment is sufficient, on the few occasions on higher speed bikes I let the shop do it for $15 rather than buy the $75 tool. So far I'm still ahead.

You can true wheels just fine using zip ties. If I were building wheels that would be a different story.

I don't disagree with you and would go further and say that in many cases we can perform a fix on on just about anything without special tools just regular mechanics tools. Keyword "most". But you are correct as a general statement. And may I say that you are awesome because you can fix bicycles.

But that is not what the OP was asking. Here is a quote from the OP: " I'm not looking for an introductory toolset or things to keep in case of emergency, I'm looking for a full scale list of recommended assets to keep in my personal shop."

Just a quick scan of the responses to this thread would perhaps give the impression that some responders really didn't read the OP?

Food for thought. Where I live there is not a single bike shop that sells parts. Yes there is a retailer and they do repairs but if I want to buy parts I have to travel out of county and 40 miles or so. I work full time, arriving at my workplace at 06:30 leaving at 17:00 So getting to a bike shop is a hassle. Leaving my bike at a bike shop is a hassle. Paying for repairs that I can do by myself is a hassle and I prefer to be self sufficient. I rather work on my bikes than pay someone else to do it. I really don't think I'm in the minority here.

I purchased a 5" bench vice for my son at a flee market for $10. The one on my bench is a 4" that was my grandfathers and it was old when I was young 55 years ago. When I was a kid I laced up my own wheels using the brake pad as a guide to truing the wheels. It worked for me as a kid and it will work for me today but having a truing stand to true my wheels theses days is so nice!!!! Not mandatory but nice!!!

I purchased off Amazon a Derailleur hanger alignment tool for about $55 It is robust and very close to the blue one. In my charge I have 9 bikes every one of them had at least a slight alignment issue. Again not mandatory but the OP wasn't asking for the bare minimum.

Some people like to collect tools. Some people like to stock up on parts. Some people get enjoyment in having a nice well organized and well stocked place to work on their stuff. Can't speak for the OP but for me personally I've always been a DIYer and have a crap ton of quality tools and a few roll outs. Some of my tools I bought when I was a teenager, some were my Dad's and some were my GranDad's. There were many years when my kids were little when I couldn't afford to buy tools or even pay someone to fix my car. But now my kids are grown and me and the little lady have a little in the wallet and so I personally enjoy buying good quality tools even if I cannot see an immediate use for it.

But it is technically correct to say that some tools being mentioned by me and others are not mandatory.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 06-30-20, 08:18 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Some general guidelines from my experience. A stand, absolutely. There is a pretty big difference between a real shop stand (with the plate steel base for ballast) and a portable stand But even an inexpensive travel stand is better that trying to do stuff without a stand. In a pinch you can use a simple steel bar stand (a piece of bar stock that is bent into a U shape wide enough to fit around your down tube, then bent to cradle your BB, then splayed out to give stability). The bar stand gets the rear wheel off the floor and lets you cycle through your gears and such. Get something as rigid as you can afford.

Others have mentioned having enough space, and good lighting. A workbench with a vice is nice if you need to do old-school stuff like removing freewheels. But a sturdy workbench, with drawers if possible. Lighting should illuminate the bike stand area and the bench. If you want to do wheelbuilding, a bench that can hold a truing stand without wobbling is nice. Space is expensive, but if you want a hassle-free work environment, its necessary.

This brings up a point. Using hand tools as an example, there's a tradeoff. There's a difference between trying to do stuff with one multitool, and a set of separate wrenches, etc. The trade off is space and cost (mutitool) vs work efficiency (dedicated purpose tools). For tools you use frequently its often best to pay more and get dedicated purpose tools. Maybe an exception is a three-way hex driver like the Park tool. That three-way thing may be almost as easy to use (except for grabbing it in the wrong orientation and having the wrong size hex - every time!*). But generally, its much easier to have a dedicated tool (like each wrench in a set of box/open end combination wrenches rather than an adjustable).

As far as what to get, I'd almost say start with what you have now, and buy tools as you need them. Or get a tool set and be prepared for common tasks. I like Park Tools and you could get one of their sets (an AK-4 is about $350). Beware some of the cheapie tools sets, as they come with more "combination tools" e.g. a tool with folding hex drivers all in the same handle, vs a set of hex drivers each with dedicated handles.

As I said, I like Park tools ok, but I grew up in a machine shop and so for some things (combination wrenchs) I buy older vintage American tools. Just my personal pretentiousness.

The same goes for everything. If you can dedicate a space for your "personal shop" you don't have to put away all of the tools/bikes/parts every time you stop work. If your workbench is "bikes only" you don't have to worry about moving blades from your woodworking table saw around to do bike work. It may not be feasible, but a dedicated space and workbench is really nice if you use the shop frequently. If infrequently, this is overkill. Set up your stand in your garage after moving the car out, lay your tools on a card table, and go to it.

Last, it's really convenient to have a pegboard or other setup where the tools can be hung, visible to you. Even better: outlines of the tools drawn on the pegboard. You can reach for the right tool without fussing around in a drawer, and you can tell in a glance if a tool is missing.

So
1) Good stand
2) Adequate space (Dedicated if possible)
3) Adquate lighting for entire workspace
4) Bench, ideally with drawers and a pegboard back to hold tools
5) Tools, dedicated purpose for frequently used tools

If I ever move from this house, I'd sure like to have a three-car garage, with one bay dedicated to bike stuff. That would be really cool.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 06-30-20 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-30-20, 08:27 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
I bought the derailleur alignment tool when I got frustrated with my noise in the rear, and it hit the spokes on the largest cog. I used it that once, got everything in perfect alignment and my bike has been dead quiet ever since (well almost, see below). I tried to use it on another bike but found the thread was different enough that I didn't want to force it. I used it on one other bike that didn't really need alignment, and then just last week again on my main ride, where it was still in alignment from the first time a few years ago. The noise that I had was actually cassette spacers in the wrong place after I removed and cleaned it.

So, why do I say all that? You just don't need that tool for personal use except for that one time. If you think you need it let a shop do it. The cassette tool OTOH you will use often enough that you probably want the one that fits your bike. Luckily they are mostly only in 2 flavors, Campy and Shimano. I have both because I have bikes with both. The Campy one serves as the crank tool too, except that Ultra Torque is totally different than the crank it was used for. I have the Campy bearing puller that I doubt will ever get used again. Oh, a chain whip if you have the cassette tool is essential. Yes, you can wrap an old chain around your hand and do it that way, I did it for years, but the tool costs under $10. You don't need the Park one. A tube of grease is needed but I bought a tube of Phil grease in 1980 and I'm still using it! Cup and cone bearings use more of that than anything else, but who still has cup and cone bearings? Only on vintage, which I did just last week. I have enough to last another 20 years it looks at the rate I use it, or more like 40 as I'm winding down here at 65 years old and won't use much. I have cone wrenches from that same period, headset tool, old hook style bottom bracket tool, pin spanner. I bought all that when I took a bike mechanics course. A lot of it is still barely used.

And unless you work on vintage bikes, and I have a few, you don't need much more than allen wrenches. Threadless headsets? Allen wrenches. Derailleurs and shifters? Allen wrenches. Pedals? Allen wrenches. Seatpost and rails? Allen wrenches. All the bolt ons? Allen wrenches. Crank extractors? Allen wrenches, at least on some. You get the picture.

Edit: Add on a chain tool for when you need to swap chains, but use quick links when you do, and a spoke wrench for an occasional true up if you know how to do it. Neither are expensive.

Last edited by zacster; 06-30-20 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-30-20, 09:58 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
as to OP comments not about kits etc a) OP has not really provided enough information as to what is intended to provide an such a detail list. as an example: working on new and carbon bikes torque wrench is a must.......old vintage steel less so

IMHO a good kit of tools is a great way to start for a new person beginner and then build from there as needed

and a good stand is essential

of course if money is no object a mere $8k or so will get you everything https://www.parktool.com/product/mas...ry=Tool%20Kits

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-30-20, 10:50 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
lots of things are a given, like metric allen wrenches / hex keys, good lubricant, typical stuff.
Here's what I use *a lot* that is specific to bikes and only bikes:
- portable stand from feedback sports
- small torque wrench with hex key sockets, 2-14nM (such as BBB btl-73)
- chain cleaning rig (such as Park CM 5.2)
Lots of folks will say "you don't have to have this or that..." and I don't have a lot of exotica. But these are things that I do use a lot, over and over.
Chain whip? Bearing Puller/press? Spoke wrenches? Like, almost never.
Old 06-30-20, 11:04 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
and a good stand is essential

of course if money is no object a mere $8k or so will get you everything https://www.parktool.com/product/mas...ry=Tool%20Kits
Not quite everything. I don't think it includes a work stand! But I guess you might have covered that with the
or so
Old 06-30-20, 11:14 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Get a good cable cutter. I have never regretted the money I spent on my Felco cutter decades ago; it still works like new.
A really nice dremel works a lot better for me than a cable cutter when it comes to housing (but I still use the cable cutter for the cables).
Old 06-30-20, 12:15 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Perhaps I'm old-school and favor an empirical, pragmatic approach.. If you're working on lots of, or at least some, bikes now then you should have a fair idea of the basic tools needed. As you wrench deeper into bikes you'll need some specialized tools..research them and pick them up as required. You'll gain a better understanding of what's needed and why.

If you're not continually working on a number of bikes..then I'd get started. Metric allen wrenches, cone wrenches, pedal tool, chain tool, spoke wrench, and some grease can take you a long way.

Of course if you're taking a survey of what tools people have, or think is required, that's different.
Old 06-30-20, 01:03 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I'm going to assume that you're talking about a pro or semi-pro quality setup, and not about a budget one.

If you're spending money, spend on a very good stand. If you don't need portability, a shop stand is worth it. Park stands with metal plates are pretty good. If you REALLY want to get the good stuff, upgrade the clamp with an EVT: https://www.efficientvelo.com/tools/...m-repair-clamp they are a joy to use. If you do need the stand to fold to save space or to move, I like the Feedback Elite stands.

Get a good work bench with a mounted vise. If you don't want to build your own, I got https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for my personal shop and it's nicer than I expected.

Get a good tool cabinet, and think through your storage system for spare parts.

Also note that a fair quantity of bike maintenance is washing bikes and parts. If possible, it's great to have an outdoor space (and preferably a stand) that you can use to hose down and wash entire bikes, and a sink you can wash parts in.

I'm an actual pro mechanic and have developed some pretty specific tool preferences so I prefer to pick and choose individual tools, but Park tools are generally acceptable at the minimum, and if you want to make shopping easy and save a little money on a pro quality set, https://www.parktool.com/product/mas...ry=Tool%20Kits will cover nearly any possible eventuality, though I could probably put together something cheaper hand picking tools (generally buying non-bike branded general tools is cheaper and often better). Really though shipping is fast these days, so unless you need to turn around things in a couple days it's usually more sensible to get the most basic and commonly used tools and buy more as they are needed.
Old 06-30-20, 02:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I help out @ the LBS when needed (i'm Old worked in them in the 80s in the City..)

so they let me use some shop tools other than what I've bought over the past decades..
Old 06-30-20, 08:13 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts

Likes For billnuke1:
Old 06-30-20, 09:57 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Good point Mad Honk

However I hope by personal shop, he/she meant just their own personal bikes.

Though whether you do your own maintenance or none at all, it still makes sense for many to have an umbrella policy to act as a catch all if you have significant assets to protect from potential lawsuits. Ask your home insurance agent about them.
I haven't read beyond this post, in this thread, so please excuse me if I repeat what's been said since.

This and Mad Honk's advice is at the foundation of what a professional shop starts with. The understanding of the responsibilities and social obligations we live by in a society like our current one. So many good meaning people forget that the chance of a loss of income or personal injury goes beyond the person you are dealing with. It's not always the customer who crashes on your repair job that will sue. Their family or the secondary injured party can too.

"But this will never happen because I am really careful and won't do the bad work that harms someone..." Sure and if you believe this I have a piece of water front property to sell you, it's a deal.

Good people with the best of intentions make mistakes (after 47 years in the LBS I know this so well). People with the best dreams and goals make mistakes while seeking those goals. People make mistakes, bottom line.

Then there's the question of what liability insurance is for. If you believe it is to shelter your assets then you don't get it. It's to make good to those who were hurt. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Of course when the OP decides to take the ethical high road they will find out that most all insurance companies want the business to be legally registered, established with any government rules (like sales tax collection and if a friend helps out they are an employee and also in the line of liability too). Why is this? Because they feel (have experienced before) that a person who slips by the various regs and requirements might also skimp on the easy stuff like building a front wheel with proper spoke tension. Or reusing a brake cable that is already damaged. Andy
Old 07-01-20, 12:00 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
My thoughts are this, buy really high quality tools especially in those that you will use often. Hex Wrenches, Screwdrivers (JIS please it is what Shimano uses and works better on Phillips head screws anyway), Torque wrench...are all important candidates for high quality. Life is too short of cheap shoddy tools you have to replace.

Park Tool and Pedro's make decent tools that are good enough for most home mechanics but for some stuff upgrading to Wera, PB Swiss, Snap-On, Abbey Bike Tools...might be the ticket if you value a quality tool and plan on using it more often.

I personally don't recommend buying pre-packaged sets with multiple different tools in it. Buy slowly and get quality stuff and get what is most practical for you and your usage.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-01-20, 12:07 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Don't forget the "crank remover"......

Likes For branko_76:
Old 07-01-20, 02:07 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
I posted this a while back in another tool thread. One thing that the OP hasn’t really given much information on is their budget. How many tools needed depends on the variety of bikes that need service, and the depth of service needed. I could probably run a small shop with the tools in my collection. I maintain all of my family’s bikes (more than ten), neighbor’s bikes, and I refurbish kid’s bikes for a local non-profit.

I would not underestimate the need for shop supplies. You need to invest in rags, lubes, grease, tubes, cables, housing, ferrules, tips, bolts, and a collection of small parts that will prevent you from running to the shop every time that you need a brake pad, grip, or tire.

The arrow ( → ) In the list below is my opinion of increasing quality. It also generally denotes increasing price. The list is somewhat USA centric on the lower end, as I don’t have a ton of experience with XLC, Cyclus, etc. The list is intended to be a resource for buying tools one-at-a-time and making decisions on cost vs quality across the spectrum. Whether fixing bikes is intended to be an enjoyable hobby or a source of income, having good tools will make the work more enjoyable and more efficient. While I agree that you can make do without a work stand, bench vise, truing stand, third hand, bearing press, and other various tools, having these greatly increases efficiency and decreases frustration.

Hex keys:
Pedro’s → Park → Bondhus → Wera, PB Swiss, Wiha, Beta

Cable Cutters:
Pedro’s → Park → Knipex, Felco

Tire Irons:
Park → My own hands → Pedro’s → Schwalbe

General Bike Specific tools:
Birzman, Ice toolz → Feedback → Pedro’s → Park → Hozan, Var → EVT, Abbey

Ratchets, Wrenches, Sockets: Too many to list, but in general:
China → Taiwan → USA, Germany

Pliers:
Harbor Freight, Walmart → Crescent, Irwin, Channel Lock → Klein → Knipex
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 07-01-20, 02:36 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
Don't forget the "crank remover"......
I see that folks are getting specific here, so let me put in a plug for the Wizard's favorite fine adjustment tool. (Seriously, this model Garland hammer in a moderate size, Garland 31002 or 31003 is a really good non-marring rawihide-faced tool. )
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 07-01-20, 03:44 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
As others have mentioned, this is a really strange thread. Sort of like someone who can't drive asking what's the "best" car to buy. I wonder if OP might be setting this shop up as a gift to someone? That would be cool!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-01-20, 04:19 PM
zacster

Between this thread and the guy that bought a carbon frame to build up himself when he barely knows what a wheel is, I feel like we've hit ultimate boredom from staying at home. Neither of them seem to know which end of a hammer to use.
Likes For zacster:
Old 07-01-20, 08:40 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
First tool for any bike shop work area...

...bench vise.

Lost count of how many times I've said that to countless people....

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 07-02-20, 10:16 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Spoke wrenches? Like, almost never.
How can you possibly live without spoke wrenches?
Old 07-02-20, 10:53 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
square wheels, well dished.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 07-02-20, 05:55 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
How can you possibly live without spoke wrenches?
Funny, but I used mine today on a bike that belongs to my daughter's friend. She was trying to get the rear brakes to work better, and between suicide levers, flexy levers, flexy calipers, bad pads and steel rims they were almost useless. I put newer pads on, and then tightened the cable, but when I did that it rubbed. I then trued the wheels so they wouldn't rub and now the brakes work better. She can at least press the brake hard without bottoming out.
Old 07-02-20, 06:09 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Bikeboystephen,
At some point you will see the need to get liability insurance. In today's world it is a must! I own a golf club repair business, and have worked as a professional mechanic in a high end bike shop. We had a test ride go bad one day when a girl went on a test ride with her purse slung over her shoulder. It slipped and caught in the front wheel causing a crash and a $1500 ride to the emergency room, stitches and some other bills from the docs. In my golf business only one head coming off and hitting another person will result in close to a $1 million claim. Get insurance first. Smiles, MH
I assumed the OP is wanting to work on his own bikes.
Old 07-02-20, 06:39 PM
jacksbike

Bikes: Trek 7.5 Hybrid, Trek 1.1 Road, Holdsworth touring,Raleigh International,Ritchey Commando,Italvega Speciallissimo,et.al.

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
You are not kidding. I have quite a few tools in my workshop that I only use once or twice a year. But if I need them, I really need them !
Old 07-02-20, 07:06 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
I assumed the OP is wanting to work on his own bikes.
branko,
Even more reason to have some kind of insurance (smiles!). I was helping out tonight with a friend on a Holley four barrel that had 15 years of old gas varnished up in it. Gm 454 with HEI ignition and I told the story we got at GM tech school about not pulling the plug wires off the spark plugs because it would weld your zipper to the fender. It left a lasting impression on all mechanics who passed through the school. Same kinda stuff applies to bike mechanics. Smiles, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 07-02-20 at 07:16 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.