Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Classic De Rosa 'swooper' (TT/ track frame with swooping shape)?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-05-20, 09:10 AM
hannhann00

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I wanted to ask if anyone knows if De Rosa made any (many?) swooping style frame designs back in the day - both TT and/ or track/ pista frames? If so, what were the model names, and any info pertaining to such frames today in terms of rarity, value, where to find, etc. I'm a fan of De Rosa frames but would like to find a nice vintage swooper (and want a De Rosa vintage to match my King RS). *Apologies as I realize swooper is a completely made-up term, but i don't know what you call this tubing style, so I've attached some pics of a Daccordi and Colnago with the "swooper" frame style I'm referring to. I've have actually seen a couple of pics of De Rosa "swoopers", but very rare to find even pics of them when scouring through vintage De Rosa pics (so not sure if there were only a very few produced or what).

Thanks for anyone's input!

Old 07-05-20, 09:15 AM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 530 Times in 165 Posts
It's called Lo Pro or funny bike. They were a craze of the 80's. All builders made one. That's all I know. I want to get one some time. I just think they look so cool.
Old 07-05-20, 09:16 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
They were in general known as time trial bikes, in track form, pursuit bikes.
small production numbers.
as the riding position for them was pretty extreme, the interest as a serviceable bicycle is low. For the young and the flexible.

they do show up, the demand is thin.

as likely to find them as a frame/fork than a full bike. Be aware often the seller’s have no idea as to if the front wheel should be 650c or 700c.
Old 07-05-20, 09:57 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
"funny bike" is what I usually hear for bikes with the now-illegal larger wheel in the back.

I've seen some with 24-inch tubulars at the front which are basically impossible to source anymore, so parts availability might be an issue. I think the curving seat-tube was found on a lot of pursuit bikes as well, which didn't necessarily have the lo-pro front wheel size.

e) Classic Cycle has this on display, used for team time trials in the Olympics. The bike is now impossible to ride, because the fork will only clear an 18mm tire, and nobody makes 24''/18mm tubular anymore, for Some Reason.

My favorite feature - the hand-twisted Campy shift lever. Think of how many watts you save!!!!!

Last edited by sheddle; 07-05-20 at 10:02 AM.
Likes For sheddle:
Old 07-05-20, 03:06 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Calling VintageTTfan and Lattz
There is a BF thread see it here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ycles-why.html
But be careful reading it because you might get the TT bug, I did after looking!
Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 07-05-20 at 04:20 PM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 07-07-20, 04:15 AM
hannhann00

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cool, thanks to all for the input,,, will do more digging now i know what other ppl actually call them.