Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Identifying a "vintage" MAVIC Support Bicycle

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-28-19, 08:18 AM
jahue

Bikes: Centurion Le-Mans (Bought by my father in-law while in the NAVY in Japan in 1970s), Bianchi campione d'italia 78

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Guys, I need some help.

I am looking to figure out what frame is being used in a "vintage build". Short story to get you guys on the same page. I recently stumbled across an article about MAVIC neutral support which included a picture of a "70s period" neutral support bicycle. My curiosity got the better of me and I wondered what bicycle frame was used. Now I tend to keep up with the neutral support team and have enjoyed the developments and the controversy around the neutral support bicycle from the recent past. This is one of there reasons I was so curious. The question was what bicycle frame would have been used in the 70's.

This question has been rolling around for about a year no 70s pictures to be found.... fast forward to today and I still cannot nail it down.

Today I stumbled into a folder where I archived some images and this reignited the spark, so I though "I need some help". That gets me here.... hopefully thats enough background to get you guys up to speed.

So for what I know / don't know.

The pictures hopefully will help, if I need to I can get you guys back to the original articles the primary one being on theradavist.com (Yellow Carpet Tour).

My original though is Peugeot, it's French and would have been a contender at that time. The other possibility was Lejeune the frames are close but there are a few details that just don't match.

I know that most of these were likely custom and you could have a manufacture X that looks different from what was commercially available.

A couple of points that seem to be out of place: Straight forks, seatpost binder screw / bolt is straight in similar to the 3ttt version on the aero bicycles. The cables are also through routed which seems out of place. There are lots of other things that seem not period correct (modern KORE seat post etc) but this question just seems to gnawing at me what frame would have been used? Thanks for the help!
Likes For jahue:
Old 05-28-19, 09:01 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
I wonder if these were publicity pictures? It strikes me as odd--and perhaps I'm wrong---that racers would have used leather saddles around the time these bikes were made.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 05-28-19, 09:48 AM
jahue

Bikes: Centurion Le-Mans (Bought by my father in-law while in the NAVY in Japan in 1970s), Bianchi campione d'italia 78

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
That was kinda my thoughts. It's commonly known that MAVIC was supporting riders in the 70's but there is no mention of what services were provided outside of tire changes. I reached out to MAVIC for some clarification but since they company seems to be in turmoil I have yet to receive a reply.

I was also attempting to find out what the official MAVIC yellow is.
Old 05-28-19, 10:41 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
+1, these appear to recreated for display/publicity and not legitimate support. The pictures are definitely relatively recent based on the ATBs with suspension and disc brakes in the background. The bicycles themselves exhibit brazed-on MAVIC front derailleurs which didn't debut until the mid-1980s. The rear derailleurs are the 1986-1992 version of the 801. The frames have vertical dropouts suggesting indexing era. Colnago reintroduced the straight fork in 1987 but these have unicrown style, suggesting even later. The frames use a grub/set screw to secure the seat post, rather than the traditional cinch bolt. This in conjunction with the vertical dropouts may be the key to identification. My overall impression is early to mid 1990s frames. As noted there are several anachronistic features. The only thing I see that says 1970s, besides the leather saddles, are the exposed brake nuts on the one bicycle.

Last edited by T-Mar; 05-28-19 at 10:44 AM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 05-28-19, 11:11 AM
20grit
Curmudgeon in Training

Bikes: 1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Non-aero levers with the aero routing is really bugging me, aesthetically.
Old 05-28-19, 11:46 AM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
This is indeed an odd mix of eras - modern frame design, non-aero brakes, bulky saddle...
Old 05-28-19, 12:09 PM
jahue

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My first thought on seeing the post was that just doesn't look right. Hypothetically what are you guys thoughts on what it would have been?

I have a pdf catalog from the 70s there are parts of a groupset but nothing complete. The 80s catalog shows a complete groupset (most of the stuff pictured on the "vintage support bicycle") so you could put together a complete support bicycle but would the frame have been lugged early 80s vs late 80s?

I still wonder which frame would have been chosen if there was a support bicycle. Given they are French I assume a French frame, given the "free" support would you go mass market frame builder vs custom.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MAVIC_Cat_70s_small.pdf (1.70 MB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf
MAVIC_Cat_80s_small.pdf (5.38 MB, 7 views)

Last edited by jahue; 05-28-19 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Adding Attachments
Old 05-28-19, 02:00 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 215 Posts
Custom would be the only way to go. Mass market would require more people to sign off on the project. Making on the fly changes, say for a new component would be more difficult. Plus there would be the politics. End of the day, Mavic wants to sell stuff to big companies. The bike that gets visibility is a Peugeot? Forget getting your parts on Lejuene.
Old 05-28-19, 02:20 PM
kohl57

Bikes: https://www.ipernity.com/doc/286349/album/550107

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
An interesting subject. I attempted to research this in connection with my web article on the Vitus 979 frame. This was indeed used as a "neutral" support machine, Tout Mavic equipped, c. 1982-87. But photos are hard to come by. Also Vitus/Mavic supplied the machines used by the Colombians in 1984 in their famous Dauphine Libere triumph as the team arrived in France without any equipment whatsoever.

I would be cautious of company contrived "displays" after the fact, too. My experience is that these are often the work of PR bright boys in their 20s rather than those actually familiar with what was used or folks grounded in the research skills to find out.

And time frame matters obviously in terms of what type of frames/components could have been used. Some of these photos show it all over the shop in terms of that. No one can possibly accept that Brooks leather saddles were used on neutral support machines in a professional road race for example. Well not one post 1965 at least. And that casts doubt on the whole effort frankly.

Anyway, the url for my article is

https://on-the-drops.blogspot.com/20...vitus-979.html

the bit on Mavic support machines is at the very end of the section on Vitus 979 equipped teams

Peter Kohler
Washington DC USA
Old 05-28-19, 02:26 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Totally off the subject, but not quite: I find the discussion fascinating, the pictures neat, and it brings back memories of one of my tackier things I did about ten years ago.

Totally fed up with all the local doctor's, lawyer's, and <insert other monied professional> hitting Ashland Coffee & Tea every Sunday on their factory replica Colnagos, etc., and matching team cycling clothing, I decided to build something out of the spare parts box for my comment on the trend. Having a Trek 2000T frame and fork available, as well as lots of pretty Shimano RSX, and access to a very good powder coater, I got busy.

Voila! If I can't afford a team replica, at least I could ride a neutral support replica. Rode it for 3-4 years, got tired of it, so I put the parts back on the shelf and sold off the frameset.

As to my inspiration, it came from a one-shot road race between Williamsburg and Richmond on April (it snowed that morning!) somewhere in the mid-00's. Here's the couple of pictures I had taken at the time for 'reference':

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Last edited by sykerocker; 05-28-19 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 05-28-19, 02:31 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,523 Times in 1,742 Posts
Looks like @La Brea Bike built those.

Oof!

Old 07-07-20, 10:17 AM
oleg232000

Bikes: Litepseed Catalyst Neutral Support Bike, La Pierre Spicy Team, Mercier Kilo TT, Cannondale Multisport2000, Goffa BMX, Haro Dave Mirra Freestyle

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Well I saw this thread, and was like i have to chime in. Here is my Mavic Neutral support bike. Sachs New Success Front and Rear Derailleur and cockpit, with Mavic brakes, hubs, wheels and the ninja star cranks on a 97' Litespeed. As to the talks regarding Mavics "Yellow", from what i just recently learned, it actually changes from time to time. Its not the same shade as it was in the past. Although I did not have this painted or cloned, this is an actual neutral support bike. But i did want to get touch up paint, and I would have to actually go to a paint center and have them laser it and color match that way.

Likes For oleg232000:
Old 07-07-20, 10:26 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
Which year did Mavic start supporting with bicycles?
Old 07-07-20, 12:11 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
Originally Posted by sjx426
which year did mavic start supporting with bicycles?
Old 07-07-20, 03:16 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by oleg232000
Well I saw this thread, and was like i have to chime in. Here is my Mavic Neutral support bike. Sachs New Success Front and Rear Derailleur and cockpit, with Mavic brakes, hubs, wheels and the ninja star cranks on a 97' Litespeed. As to the talks regarding Mavics "Yellow", from what i just recently learned, it actually changes from time to time. Its not the same shade as it was in the past. Although I did not have this painted or cloned, this is an actual neutral support bike. But i did want to get touch up paint, and I would have to actually go to a paint center and have them laser it and color match that way.

If you want any credibility on these forums, you're going to have to start shooting your photos from the drive side.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 07-08-20, 02:38 AM
JSL

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Definitely "modern" frames with vintage parts. The cable guides for integrated brake/shift levers on the headtube give it away. The seat lug should let some of the internet sleuths identify the frame. It has a unique pinch bolt tightened from the rear, which I don't recall seeing often. The fork and BB lugs look inexpensive, but it's tough to tell with the low-res pics, so I'm too interested to know what the frames might be.
Old 07-08-20, 07:20 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Filled with curiosity now, and also noted just how difficult it is to find photos of the originals.

As for the press replicas, there appears to be only the two "old-new" frames hanging off the back of the Peugeot. While the frames match, there are a few oddball differences between each build (seatpost, chainrings).

In the outdoor promo picture, it looks as if the B-position plate was missing off the 851 derailer, but it's fine in all the other pictures. The Brooks saddles barely look touched. Past the press benefits of this rig, I wonder if they have a second purpose to these. The immense setback of the seatpost suggests that it was set up for someone, specifically, rather than a pretty press thing.

Either that, or they had a hell of a time digging up their own NOS parts. I find it interesting that neither bike wears an authentic Mavic seatpost.

-Kurt

Old 07-09-20, 11:01 AM
oleg232000

Bikes: Litepseed Catalyst Neutral Support Bike, La Pierre Spicy Team, Mercier Kilo TT, Cannondale Multisport2000, Goffa BMX, Haro Dave Mirra Freestyle

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
If you want any credibility on these forums, you're going to have to start shooting your photos from the drive side.
Oops So sorry. Didnt know that was the protocol. And in hindsight, makes alot more sense to post drive side. Note the latest addition, a classic Litespeed seatpost. Now just want to find a vintage seat post binder clamp to match. oooh and it will be hard to see from this angle, but the wrap pucks are litespeed. Got them off ebay. Thought it would be a trick little addition

Last edited by oleg232000; 07-09-20 at 11:08 AM. Reason: additional info
Likes For oleg232000:
Old 07-09-20, 11:48 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by oleg232000
Oops So sorry. Didnt know that was the protocol. And in hindsight, makes alot more sense to post drive side....
It's #1 of the Ten Speed Commandments, "Thou shalt not post photos taken from the non-drive side."

First time offence is a warning. Second time, you get a visit from the Cinzano squad.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 05-25-21, 09:10 AM
BrechtH

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently purchased a bike fully equipped with Mavic and it seems to have some remarkable similarities with the Mavic bikes on the Peugeot car. For example the seattube bolt, cable routing... However not the same fork and mine has a more recent Mavic groupset. The blue is definitely not it's original color but I can't see any left spots of yellow. I tried to identify but still have doubts what brand it could be. The typical rearbrake-bridge and frame numbering is something I have seen before on a Peugeot so I would point that direction. Any thoughts or remarks could be helpfull for me to. It will get a new Yellow jacket ;-)
Apparently I can't post any photos, need to have 10 activities on this site first? Any suggestions, sorry I'm new...
Old 05-25-21, 09:24 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar

But a drive-side would obscure that sweet exposed titanium lower frame.

Mmmmm, titanium.

I remember a magazine article around this time talking about "Why would anyone want to paint a ti frame?". Litespeed was releasing a mtb that was yellow to match a Rockshox Judy. I wonder if they used the same yellow.
Old 05-25-21, 10:03 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by BrechtH
I recently purchased a bike fully equipped with Mavic and it seems to have some remarkable similarities with the Mavic bikes on the Peugeot car. For example the seattube bolt, cable routing... However not the same fork and mine has a more recent Mavic groupset. The blue is definitely not it's original color but I can't see any left spots of yellow. I tried to identify but still have doubts what brand it could be. The typical rearbrake-bridge and frame numbering is something I have seen before on a Peugeot so I would point that direction. Any thoughts or remarks could be helpfull for me to. It will get a new Yellow jacket ;-)
Apparently I can't post any photos, need to have 10 activities on this site first? Any suggestions, sorry I'm new...
Whenever I see a grub screw for seat post retention on a steel frame, I think Motobecane or Peugeot. Your serial number format is consistent with Peugeot and indicates January 1985 manufacture. Based on the other stampings, I'd say it might be a PX10M. Now, I haven't been able to find this designation for 1985 but there was a lot of variation between markets. The cloesest is a French market PY10M but there are no photos. I see you're in Belgium but I don't know if they used the French market models or designated their own. Regardless, it appears to have been entirely rebuilt as I haven't found any Mavic equipped Peugeot from this era. It has a Reynolds repaint decal, so presumibly it's Reynolds tubing. The seat post diameter may allow us to determine the actual tubeset. Picture assist. More photos here, https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/21490677

Old 05-25-21, 10:14 AM
BrechtH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great! Thanks for the reply, the additional info and to add the photos! I bought it in France, seatpost diameter is 27.2mm.
Old 05-25-21, 12:13 PM
BrechtH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For your info: found some pictures on the internet of a Peugeot Professionnel 1000 (mid nineties), seems to be a close match with the ones on the Mavic Car (straight fork). Apparently seatpost diameter 27.2mm, Columbus Neuron Tubing.
Old 05-25-21, 05:49 PM
T-Mar

Great! Thanks for the reply, the additional info and to add the photos! I bought it in France, seatpost diameter is 27.2mm.
For your info: found some pictures on the internet of a Peugeot Professionnel 1000 (mid nineties), seems to be a close match with the ones on the Mavic Car (straight fork). Apparently seatpost diameter 27.2mm, Columbus Neuron Tubing.
I wouldn't expect a 27.2mm post on a 1985 Peugeot, as they were stilll using metric standard, 28mm outer diameter seat tubes. That post size falls more in line with a imperial standard, 28.6mm outer diameter seat tube. I hadn't considered that it might be from another decade, such as 1995. We didn't see many Peugeot road bicycles in North American by that time, as the lineup being dominated by ATBs and hybrids and what we did see was being manufactured in Canada. Now that I think of it, the mid-1980s seat post set screws were typically placed lower on the back of the seat tube.

27.2mm seat posts are a common size for higher grade steel tubesets with imperial standard seat tubes.. They were used on multiple Columbus tubesets, as well at least a couple of Reynolds tubesets. Please confirm the outer diameter of the seat tube and remove the front wheel to see if there are five helical ridges, on the inside of the fork's steerer tube.
Likes For T-Mar:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.