Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Which lock for an ebike

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Which lock for an ebike

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-20, 12:29 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Which lock for an ebike

Looking for lock suggestions for the Specialized Turbo Vado 4 SL EQ. Needs to lock rear wheel and frame to stationary objects.
Old 07-11-20, 02:19 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
No lock is perfect. Buy the best one you can afford. No swiveling arm on one side. Abus top of the line or maybe Tigr-lok (as it's not familiar to most bike thieves). Best protection: insurance.
Likes For linberl:
Old 07-11-20, 08:51 PM
paulmalva

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would suggest a high-quality U lock from Abus or Kryptonite and an extra extension cable in case you find yourself without a good obstacle to connect to.
Still, no lock is unbreakable if the thieves have the privacy and time to work on it.
So, I always try to park my bike in a way where they can't have that.

Let me know what you pick. I am also looking for another lock for my latest bike.
Old 07-11-20, 08:54 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
I talked to the technical individuals for Kryptonite and at least one other lock company at Sea Otter a couple of years ago, and their systems are good, but no match for a circular grinder. If you need to leave it for any length of time, buy the best cable lock and U-lock that you can find then pray a lot.
Likes For 2old:
Old 07-12-20, 06:58 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
That bike is really no different than any other bike when it comes to locks.

Lots of reading material out there. too much actually

I just bought an Abus Granit plus 640 mini lock that I really like.
Old 07-12-20, 03:15 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
In reality, if a pro wants your bike, forget it (I have a friend who owned a large machine shop and used a $600 (AIR) padlock to secure the rear door. The lock was defeated by an angle grinder). However, for the more garden variety criminal with maybe only bolt cutters, probably the best locks will be sufficient. Another trick, if possible, is to situate the lock so the individual can't use the ground to brace one handle of the bolt cutter and lean on the other. I had a decent Master lock ($20 or so) with a "hardened" shaft on a shed, and the lock stopped working (something must have broken internally, so the key wouldn't open it). My friend's bolt cutter cut it like it was cheese.
Old 07-13-20, 09:43 AM
BEC111

Thanks for the replies, so far. I agree with the comments:
  • best I can afford
  • No lock is really secure. They all can be cut, broken or otherwise opened
  • the best brands do make the best locks
I think I didn’t ask my real questions which are related to carrying the lock. I don’t need one most of the time. I Iive in a relatively low crime area. I’ve left my bike unlocked in outside supermarkets and other stores, unlocked on a group ride with a dozen other bikes, outside a bike shop. I need the lock for those occasions where having one is either mandated, a group ride to a bar or restaurant, or when I ride on a trail that ends in a public place, such as the Mont Vernon trail that ends at G. Washington’s home.

From reading the product literature, I guess I need a mid-level model.

The remainIng question requires figuring out how to carry the lock on my bike. Can it be attached to a seat post bottle mount? Will it fit in my Geigerrig backpack? Guess I have to find an LBS with a decent stock that allows shopping. Not that easy at the moment

Thanks everyone
Old 07-13-20, 11:37 AM
DukeO

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BEC111
Thanks for the replies, so far. I agree with the comments:
  • best I can afford
  • No lock is really secure. They all can be cut, broken or otherwise opened
  • the best brands do make the best locks
I think I didn’t ask my real questions which are related to carrying the lock. I don’t need one most of the time. I Iive in a relatively low crime area. I’ve left my bike unlocked in outside supermarkets and other stores, unlocked on a group ride with a dozen other bikes, outside a bike shop. I need the lock for those occasions where having one is either mandated, a group ride to a bar or restaurant, or when I ride on a trail that ends in a public place, such as the Mont Vernon trail that ends at G. Washington’s home.

From reading the product literature, I guess I need a mid-level model.

The remainIng question requires figuring out how to carry the lock on my bike. Can it be attached to a seat post bottle mount? Will it fit in my Geigerrig backpack? Guess I have to find an LBS with a decent stock that allows shopping. Not that easy at the moment

Thanks everyone
I carry my Kryptonite U-lock and cable along with a bunch of stuff in my seat-post bag. https://www.amazon.com/Ibera-PakRak-...GQF218JG0DTCRF
I manly ride streets and paths and not hardcore mountain biking. The setup works great for full-suspension and the bag pops on and off real easy.

Last edited by DukeO; 07-13-20 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-14-20, 05:26 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Originally Posted by DukeO

I carry my Kryptonite U-lock and cable along with a bunch of stuff in my seat-post bag. https://www.amazon.com/Ibera-PakRak-...GQF218JG0DTCRF
I manly ride streets and paths and not hardcore mountain biking. The setup works great for full-suspension and the bag pops on and off real easy.
Have that same bag and matching panniers. Love it. Pops right off and easy to carry in a store. Holds the Abus lock and a small cable for the wheels quite well, plus 99 other essentials.

Many locks have the option of some sort of frame mount. Results are mixed on how well those work.

By the way you are kidding yourself that your bike won't disappear because of where you live.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 07-14-20, 10:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,957 Times in 2,645 Posts
I would fagettabout the junk and go for ABUS. German quality, family owned, high quality and more importantly they have invented a lot of locks we use today. I would go with the Bordo Granit X-Plus 6500, it is a strong lock and has their highest bike rating and is easy to carry. Chain locks are great but a pain to carry and U-locks can be strong but no flexibility in comes the folding lock.

Yes LockpickingLawyer did use a speciality tool not common amongst bike thieves and got into it destructively and with decent risk to himself.

However if you want a u-lock the Granit X-plus 540 is a great option and certainly a tough one to break. I personally have both but really only use my Bordo locks as they are way easier to use and I do trust them with my babies.

Any lock company that makes a super thick lock probably is covering up for the fact they are using cheap non-virgin steel and probably aren't that great at tempering and hardening. A lock shouldn't need to be ridiculously heavy unless it is ridiculously high security. If it is just heavy because it is cheaply made and weight is strength to them then it is not worth your time.

If the lock has a bunch of ratings from "secure" organizations you better hope they are exceeding those tests as a lot of lock companies are barely squeezing by.

Also nice bike! I want one myself but it is not quite the bike I want for my purposes.
Old 07-20-20, 07:37 AM
BEC111

I went Abus

Thanks everyone.

I bought a ABUS ulock. They didn’t have a cable the right size for me in stock so I still have shopping to do.
Old 07-20-20, 03:28 PM
Pop N Wood

Originally Posted by BEC111
Thanks everyone.

I bought a ABUS ulock. They didn’t have a cable the right size for me in stock so I still have shopping to do.
You don't need a high quality cable to use with your U lock, it is just a secondary deterrent. Walmart has cheap ones.
Old 07-20-20, 03:41 PM
BEC111

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
You don't need a high quality cable to use with your U lock, it is just a secondary deterrent. Walmart has cheap ones.
Thanks, it’s what I was thinking.
​​​​​​​