Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

It's like new

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

It's like new

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-20, 02:50 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
It's like new

Today I finally took the plunge and did some modernizing on my late 80's Ochsner, I had been considering going to 9 or 10 speed STI drivetrain for quite awhile. I kept deciding against it and stayed with the DT levers in friction mode with a 10 speed cassette and the original DR's . That has worked fine, but I really prefer brifters now. I rode the bike yesterday and pretty much decided to do the change. I got it done today. I already had 4500 brifters and 5700 derailleurs. I left the IRD crank on as I really like the classic looks of it. It has 46/34 rings and I put a Shimano 9 speed 12-27 cassette on the rear. It still has the original brake calipers.

I got everything mounted with new cables and housing, got it all dialed in and took it for a quick spin around the neighborhood. Everything is working as it should and I am quite pleased with the outcome. My mechanic skills have definitely improved and all I had to redo was to shorten the housing for both brakes. Maybe I have learned to focus more on the details and not just say that is good enough for now. Once I got it all to where I wanted it, I cleaned it all up and polished it. It looks new again! I am really looking forward to getting a real ride on it tomorrow morning. I know I have posted pictures of the bike before, but I guess I want to show it off and get some extra pleasure from my work. I also thought Mad Honk would appreciate it.

Almost new bike day. I like!

Ready for some miles!
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 07-12-20, 05:54 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
delbiker1
Good on ya! It still has the classic look and some newness to the group. I'm beginning to like the look of the burnt orange paint. It reminds me of the Plantenga I had in the early 80's that came in that color.
My rebuild is in a stall mode after going to work on a 70's Raleigh that went out for new paint. From a six dollar bike to a money pit! I have installed Record and NR for the drive train. Campy brakes from Haztyguy. Wheels are NR hubs with Wheelsmith spokes laced into a set of Torelli satin finish rims. A set of Conti's will be the first tire set. Since this old Record frame has eyelets for fenders,I am thinking it will ride like a touring geometry, which should be good for my brittle old bones.
As always it is good to see your progress as a mechanic, and your success in the bike build. Have a great first ride tomorrow! Smiles, MH
Old 07-12-20, 06:52 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
That is a beautiful bike. It caught my eye with an Oh ! Few years ago, I updated my 80s Ciocc to 10 speed STI , just love it now. KB
Old 07-12-20, 07:29 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
The looks really nice. All of my vintage upgrades have left the DT shifters on it, but I was tempted to add brifters to my latest try. Ultimately I left the DT on but put new brakes levers on that are comfortable on the hoods as a compromise.
Old 07-13-20, 06:08 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,375 Times in 720 Posts
The Ochsner frames we sold back in the 80's were blue or red and had the O name on the down tube as well. Yours is different from what I have witness before. Which model frame is this? The tubing is SL or seamed Columbus.
Old 07-14-20, 03:39 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
TiHabanero, this was originally blue. I believe the red Ochsner's were the higher end model. I stripped it, had it powder coated and rebuilt it last year. I purchased a new decal set from Velocal, but I messed up a couple of them. I may just remove all the decals and leave the frame/fork unadorned. When I purchased the bike new in '92, I knew it was a previous year model and it was discounted. It did not have frame material sticker on it. After doing some research, I was under the impression the tubing is Aelle. I got that from a post from Tmar showing that a seat tube of 26.2 is Aelle. There is almost no info available on these bikes. At least, not that I could find. I contacted the Ochsner museum in Chicago a couple of times, but got no response. I do not know what year it was produced.

It is a wonderful riding bike. In '92 it was a decision between this bike and a Specialized aluminum frame, maybe an Allez, and I liked the ride of the steel Ochsner much better. I did a 25 mile ride on it yesterday and I do like the change to the brifters.
Old 07-14-20, 09:12 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Good looking ride.. I like the color.