Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Waxing chain vs oiling - not looking back

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-05-18, 10:43 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts

In the olden days, degreasing a chain and soaking it in paraffin was a common thing to do for winter conditions.
Seems there is a new awareness of using wax products in lieu of traditional oil, and I'm all for it. One of my pet peeves is a dirty, black drivetrain, and I'm finding the speedwax treatment I've done on my chain to provide the smooth operation and cleanliness I relish. For me, anyway, I am happy to have a smooth running chain that is dry to the touch and, more importantly, CLEAN. No greasy accumulations on idler wheels or chainrings. I'm digging it so far.

Anyone else who has made the switch?
Anyone who has gone back to oil after trying it (and not finding it to their liking)?

Discuss.....
Old 10-05-18, 10:45 AM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Likes For 99Klein:
Old 10-05-18, 11:04 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
The clean / quiet / long-life benefits of waxing the chain has been working well for me also.

This reply shows my heated ultrasonic cleaner. I use three jars in the heated bath, the first w/ soapy water, then mineral spirits, finally denatured alcohol.

This reply shows my modified wax warmer that permits me to apply 93°C Molten Speed Wax to my chains.
Old 10-05-18, 11:37 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I use molten speed wax throughout the dry months, I do love the cleanliness of it, but longevity in wet weather and commuting is subpar. I switch to a wet lube in the fall/winter/spring
Old 10-05-18, 12:01 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Once you go dry lube you'll never go back. Except when I run out.

Last edited by KraneXL; 10-05-18 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-05-18, 12:05 PM
Jack Tone 

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
I've been using this:
https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Chain-...aver+lubricant
Old 10-05-18, 12:22 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
When I was a teen in Montreal I played with paraffin on my bike (I used to tour a little). But it was awfully messy if I remember right. I have no wet conditions where I live, dry and dusty 99.9% of the time. Guess I should go back to looking at this as an option! Seems like I'm always ruining rags and cleaning my drive train of gunk.
Old 10-05-18, 12:26 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I've been a fan of Boeshield T-9 for years. A couple of months ago I swore off all oil based lubes for my drivetrain and bought a 32 Oz. bottle of White Lightening Clean Ride. So far so good.

I'll never go back to oil. NEVER!!!!
Old 10-05-18, 03:22 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Not good in rain. And way too messy and time consuming for this kid. I just try to keep my leg away from my chain. I actually don't care what my chain looks like, just how long it lasts.
Old 10-05-18, 07:06 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by canyoneagle
In the olden days, degreasing a chain and soaking it in paraffin was a common thing to do for winter conditions.
Seems there is a new awareness of using wax products in lieu of traditional oil, and I'm all for it. One of my pet peeves is a dirty, black drivetrain, and I'm finding the speedwax treatment I've done on my chain to provide the smooth operation and cleanliness I relish. For me, anyway, I am happy to have a smooth running chain that is dry to the touch and, more importantly, CLEAN. No greasy accumulations on idler wheels or chainrings. I'm digging it so far.

Anyone else who has made the switch?
Anyone who has gone back to oil after trying it (and not finding it to their liking)?

Discuss.....

i converted to mspeedwax and no no changing back. Stuff is awesome, smooth, quite and clean. Love it. Once changed over it’s easy to keep the set up going. 300-350 miles is easy in the dry.
Old 10-05-18, 07:09 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Took my kid's bike to the shop. The wax chain came back with some sort of oil. Grrr.
Old 10-05-18, 08:25 PM
cycledogg

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts

say what you may, but I have been using this for years with good results.
Old 10-05-18, 08:55 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Agree that on a commuter that sees rain it's probably not going to work out, but otherwise MSW I find is not a big deal to use and the results are very good.

scott s.
Old 10-05-18, 09:09 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Went back. Needed something to last longer then my days planned ride if there is a chance of rain or water around.

Last edited by u235; 10-05-18 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-05-18, 09:15 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
I've been a fan of Boeshield T-9 for years. A couple of months ago I swore off all oil based lubes for my drivetrain and bought a 32 Oz. bottle of White Lightening Clean Ride. So far so good.

I'll never go back to oil. NEVER!!!!
Not sure why anyone would choose otherwise unless they just like being nostalgic?
Old 10-05-18, 09:39 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Here in the Land Without Rain, wax is the only way to go. I might feel differently if I lived where there's weather, but all of our bikes are on waxed chains (hot wax.)
Old 10-06-18, 11:35 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
I built up a commuter some years ago with a Gates belt drive and Alfine 8 speed hub. Totally maintenance free driveline.

I'm curious about the wet weather performance of wax (I'm mainly a fairweather cyclist, so not really an issue) - I would think the wax would repel water. What have folks found? Sounds like it doesn't hold up as well.
Old 10-08-18, 12:04 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I use the worst of all worlds. I have an old crock pot with wax, an oil-based substance (slick 50?) that's about 15% of the volume, some teflon, some graphite and some molybdenum sulfide. Every 4-800 miles, I plug the crock pot in, turn it on high and drop the chain or chains in while I go about other activities. If I remember, I may swirl the thing. Eventually I unplug the crock pot, wait fifteen minutes or so for the wax to cool and take the chains out.

They're a bit black, not as pretty as when one just uses wax. However, it lasts longer between cookings and still doesn't put chain ring marks on legs that rub up against them.

Sure, it takes some time from start to finish, 30-45 minutes, but I'm only involved with a few moments of that time so it doesn't take much of MY time.
Old 10-08-18, 07:40 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I switched to dry lube last year and I'm not ever getting grease or oil again.

You do have to relube the system more often with dry lube, but it's MUCH easier. To the point where doing it more often is a non issue.

I just wipe down the components to get what little grime there is off (and its WAY less grime than grease or oils collect) and reapply the dry lube. 2 hours later it's ready to ride.

It's not messy. It doesn't leave marks on your legs that take 3 hours to remove. It doesn't pick up grit and grime. I love it.

Now this is with the bottled stuff. I don't bake my chain in the crock pot full or wax. That's a more involved procedure. For the amount and type of riding I do, the bottled stuff that wipes on/wipes off is fine.
Old 10-08-18, 10:06 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
For those using dry lube, how often are you using it? I guess it depends on the conditions. I don't ride in the rain (yet), but the roads are occasionally wet/damp, so it's not always completely dry on my rides.
Old 10-08-18, 10:14 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
For those using dry lube, how often are you using it? I guess it depends on the conditions. I don't ride in the rain (yet), but the roads are occasionally wet/damp, so it's not always completely dry on my rides.
If I get caught in a downpour, I probably need to relube with dry lube.

But I don't seek out those conditions so it doesn't happen much.

If I'm riding on a wet road, and by wet I mean residual surface water not 2 inch deep puddles, it usually doesn't get soaked enough that it's a problem.
Old 10-08-18, 10:46 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
If I get caught in a downpour, I probably need to relube with dry lube.

But I don't seek out those conditions so it doesn't happen much.

If I'm riding on a wet road, and by wet I mean residual surface water not 2 inch deep puddles, it usually doesn't get soaked enough that it's a problem.
Thanks. That's pretty much what I ride in, either completely dry, or some residual surface water, I try to avoid the big puddles.
Old 10-08-18, 10:46 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless
The clean / quiet / long-life benefits of waxing the chain has been working well for me also.

This reply shows my heated ultrasonic cleaner. I use three jars in the heated bath, the first w/ soapy water, then mineral spirits, finally denatured alcohol.

This reply shows my modified wax warmer that permits me to apply 93°C Molten Speed Wax to my chains.
i’ve have Seen your previous posts & appreciate your attention to detail. I was wandering if getting the temp up to “93C” helps it get into the interior of the chain any better?
Old 10-08-18, 10:54 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Thanks. That's pretty much what I ride in, either completely dry, or some residual surface water, I try to avoid the big puddles.
Think about how the water gets onto your drive chain.

Either it's falling from the sky or splashing onto it.

The residual surface water is being picked up by the tires and thrown in the direction of the tire rotation, not sideways to where the drive train is. Sure, some will get on the drive chain, but not the vast majority of it.

The front tire will splatter some back at the drive chain, especially when turning slightly left, thus aiming the front wheel at the crank. But again...most of it is going somewhere else.

And how much surface water are you really picking up? If you could manage to collect every drop of it on a long ride I doubt you'd fill a beer can. And then only a fraction of that is being flung into your drive chain.

(Keep in mind we're talking about residual surface moisture after a rain. Not puddles with any kind of depth.)
Old 10-08-18, 11:18 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
i’ve have Seen your previous posts & appreciate your attention to detail. I was wandering if getting the temp up to “93C” helps it get into the interior of the chain any better?
Thanks for the nice feedback.

The short answer is I don’t know.

My observations are that when I immerse the room temperature chain into the 93C wax, the bath temperature immediately drops. I swirl to mix the wax elements and to help cavity penetration.

With my setup, the temperature returns to 93C in about 15 minutes. During that time I do periodic swirls.

The chain is then yanked, hung and permitted to cool.

Once cooled, I manually flex each of the links, to change it from a rigid sword back to a chain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.