Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Removing braze-ons for the sake of making a "perfect" setup?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Removing braze-ons for the sake of making a "perfect" setup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-20, 08:09 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,123 Times in 1,965 Posts
I'll take two perspectives:
1. You are not worried about restoration for the low-end Mercian. Once you paint it, it's no longer a Mercian. You are not looking for historic/monetary value, and anyone who might in the future, wish to buy it, won't care. Have at it, and do a nice job respectful of the heritage. Once you repurpose any antique, it is no longer the antique (steam-punk designs using vintage items). Once you remove stuff, it is no longer a Mercian, per se.

2. On the other hand, you can use a different frame for the fixie, and take your time restoring the Mercian and maybe find some personal intrinsic value to it.

If it were a vintage Italian steed, such as Rossin, Chesini, Faggin or Bottecchia, I'd scream sacrilege!!!!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 03-16-20, 08:09 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
I do not see a question here.
Set Fear aside.
Old 03-16-20, 08:12 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Curious what made you change your mind?
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-sun-wasp.html

This is one of those itches that I've had myself at times in the past. I agree with above. Throw some parts together and see if the ride works for you, then you'll have a bit more data to go forward with.

If I was looking for a fixed gear, I'd go for something like a Raleigh Pro Track like noglider's. But you ain't me, so whatever works best for you is best for you.
Old 03-16-20, 08:22 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Curious what made you change your mind?
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-sun-wasp.html
I changed my mind about setting it up as a geared bike because I picked up my uncle's Raleigh Professional, which was already equipped very similarly to how I had the Mercian planned in my head. I enjoy riding fixed gear but the last three of them that I've had were all pretty heavy and ponderous. I love DB 531 and know the Mercian frame is a rather perfect candidate for what I envision riding.

cudak888 I'll definitely set it up as a fixed gear ride with the original paint, but the photo I posted does not show the various faded areas, etc... It really doesn't look very good upon close examination. As mentioned, a fresh set of Mercian decals are already in hand!

JohnDThompson I don't want a track frame. Not trying to fool anyone! I'm after the feel of a post-war British fixed gear road bicycle but I plan to use an assortment of much more modern components to recreate the look without breaking the bank. I already have two beautiful frames c. 1950 that require a great deal of restoration and parts collection, so adding another to the list is not an option.
Old 03-16-20, 08:25 AM
Kilroy1988 

Anyway, thanks all for the perspectives. As I said, either way this frame deserves a fresh coat of paint and that's the plan. Maybe I'll paint it without removing any braze-ons, set it up as a 10-speed and sell it to fund another more suitable frame for my purposes. Maybe I won't remove them and set it up as a fixed anyway, or maybe in the end I'll just put it under the knife. I'm probably a few weeks out from getting started so I'm sure there will be more back and forth. Cheers!

-Gregory
Old 03-16-20, 09:08 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
Howdy folks,

I have a lovely 1979 Mercian Campionissimo frame set. It was meant to be a 10-speed and has a peg on the down tube to hold a shifter boss in place, three shift cable guides, and two brake cable guides. It has stamped dropouts with no derailleur hanger. It was the "low end" frame offered by Mercian at the time and has Prugnat lugs, but is still built fully from butted Reynolds 531 tubing.

The frame is just my size and I really want to keep it, but I have enough multi-speed bikes and other frame projects that are less suitable for modification. I am missing a fixed gear bike in my stable, and I specifically want relaxed road-going geometry and don't necessarily care about track ends. I would like to keep and enjoy this frame, and have a rather elaborate paint scheme in mind for it as well. I can only imagine being bothered by all of the unused braze-ons after taking the time to paint the frame and set it up specifically as a fixed gear.

Assuming I actually pour a lot of time and effort into the paint, and know that I'll surely keep and enjoy riding the bicycle for many years to come, would people be put off by my chopping all of those little bits off of a Mercian? It strikes even myself as sacrilege to some extent but the frame is otherwise perfect for what I want - not to mention the fact that I also just really want a MERCIAN!

What say ye all? Time to let some controversial opinions roll!

-Gregory

I don't understand how the braze ons will be a problem/hindrance to using it as a fixed gear. The pump pegs in particular, will be useful in any situation.
Old 03-16-20, 09:53 AM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by seypat
I don't understand how the braze ons will be a problem/hindrance to using it as a fixed gear. The pump pegs in particular, will be useful in any situation.
The pump pegs are the one thing I would leave. Ha. I bought the frame because it has the classic top tube pegs!

The rest is not a hindrance except aesthetically, only considering the idea that I would be investing a lot of effort in painting it. Hence my quandary.
Old 03-16-20, 10:04 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26414 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...I have a California built Masi that some previous owner wanted to fit with bar end shifters. I guess this was before those little fittings that pop on over the braze ons were available, and all he had was a strap around the tube adapter. He ground off the braze ons and put on some touch up paint where he removed the DT braze ons. I wish you had not reminded me of that, because it still chaps my ass.
Old 03-16-20, 10:16 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
The pump pegs are the one thing I would leave. Ha. I bought the frame because it has the classic top tube pegs!

The rest is not a hindrance except aesthetically, only considering the idea that I would be investing a lot of effort in painting it. Hence my quandary.
your bike, your choice, but if you remove things 1) it may be better to debraze to remove than grind, less risk to frame, way to easy to grind into frame too far 2) either way it will add a lot of time to the prep, because any bit of brazing material that is left will show a bump in final finish

bare metal, acid etch primer, sandable primer, multiple coats of coleor, multiple coats of clear so process may be a bit different than the hot rod process (not counting your cool paint job work)

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-16-20, 10:36 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
I say go for it if you really want to, except for the fender/rack braze-ons and the pump pegs. If you find yourself wanting a rear brake it's easy to use clamp-on guides that also look slick. Attachable pump pegs and p-clips aren't nearly as well designed to look pretty. I don't think it's unlikely you might want to throw a rack on the bike at some point, and it's nice to have the option.
Old 03-16-20, 10:43 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
I understand about the Raleigh Pro that you mentioned. I don't know that an altered Marcian like yours is going to break many hearts, and if so, it is your bike.

What about the paint scheme you have in mind? Wanna reveal any details?
Old 03-16-20, 10:55 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Out of curiosity, what do you think of the guys around here who specialize in adding lots of custom braze-ons for touring setups or extra bottle cage bosses, dimpling stays for 650b tires, etc? That's sort of where I'm coming from when I look for justification - whether things are being removed or added, the original frame specifications are being altered and quite a bit of work necessary to return them to stock again. I still see some beautiful results around here from the custom crowd! Sort of my inspiration for getting "just the right look," if you will.

-Gregory
That’s a totally fair question. I suppose I am more open to addition when customizing a frame. Fixed gear bicycles have never interested me personally, because I view them as less versatile. So, I have a bias to begin with.

My main reason against, is that you are removing function from that frame, for no real gain. What if you decide you love how it rides and want to make more versatile? What if you hate how it rides and you want to sell it? How well do you know the frame at this point? I’d give it some time, and some miles before committing either way.

With that said, my opinion really is worth what you paid for it. I’m in no position to decide what is right or wrong for anyone but me. There are many bikes out there, too many to be worried about what people do to them. As long as it is ridden and loved, what else is there? That’s why we all love bikes, right? Sometimes, rules just ruin the fun for everyone.

Last edited by mkeller234; 03-16-20 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-16-20, 11:10 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts

To be honest with you, after that new paint job, people will notice more what clothes you are wearing or type of facial hair you have while riding it. Your call, but taking away function strictly for aesthetics? Again, it's your call
Old 03-16-20, 11:18 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
If you're uncertain enough to ask opinions here, I would take the slow approach and build it as a geared bike first, just to get a feel for the frame. You can always move forward with the original plan if you're not impressed with it as a geared bike, but you can't replace the braze-ons. (Well, you can, but you know what I mean.) In the meantime, maybe a beater frame will come along that begs for a repaint (for practice) and maybe even has track dropouts. I love that color orange. And the gold decals. And imagining the original paint all shiny.

I would say just give yourself a little time to judge whether this is an impulse or a plan. Impulses pass.
Old 03-16-20, 12:48 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
How about braze in some new adjustable or track dropouts before you do the new paint? That would great.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 03-16-20, 01:08 PM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
How about braze in some new adjustable or track dropouts before you do the new paint? That would great.
I thought about gugie and asking to do just that, with the classic "road/path" frames in mind. Robust track dropouts with fender eyelets look pretty cool!
Old 03-16-20, 01:37 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I say do it. Especially if you’re going to have a nice respray. Fixed gears are fun and those bits WILL annoy you.
Yeah, I'll second. (But this frame doesn't have the cursed braze-ons for fix gear riding - DT shifter bosses. I purposely did not have those bosses put on my Mooney so I could go clean later if I wanted - and now do. Anyone who notices the little plate under the DT is getting a little too obsessive!)

And the rest of those braze-ons: top of BB cable guides never looked super elegant and collected grime. Drilling a small hole in the future, tapping and adding a plastic below the BB cable guide is easy (and far nicer). OK, you might have to use a chrome stop on the chainstay. Rear brake cable guides should be on top ala the early '80s. Even chromed guides are better than what's there (in my opinion). The good pumps are frame fit so that's not an issue.

This bike is a super road fix gear. Sweet, long road dropout that can handle a real mix of cogs on a flip-flop hub so you can ride the hills like the old days and stop and flip the wheel. This can probably handle a 16-22 swap. That's real. Yes, the Bob Jackson track frame can probably do more, but track ends suck for quick, easy road flips. Also, rear brakes are nice, especially in serious hills. The levers for standing - something we do a lot of, rear brake for speed control and alternating brakes for cooling. (Between that and the fix gear, I run cooler rims than anyone else on really steep hills.) And again, for those really steep hills, good old redundancy. I would much rather be telling my grandkids about that scary descent where I had only my rear brake and the pedals after the front failed. Road dropouts mean that the rim can stay withing the brake pads as you play with wheel flip and big cog differences. (Also far easier to deal with if you ever go to fenders. Edit: keep the eyes. Fix gears are sweet rain bikes.)

The real roadies of England, when that bike was made, would not cringe at you turning it in to a fix gear specific ride. In fact, they might applaud a good job.

Additional edits for typos

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 03-16-20 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-16-20, 01:44 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
FWIW, I'm in the don't drew it camp. I like fixed riding and used my Sakai tri-bike as one for years but I'm glad it's unmolested as it's now being rebuilt up for road again.
Somehow I think adding bits to a frame is improvements. Removal is unnecessary and generally bad.
Old 03-16-20, 02:52 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Kilroy1988 Like others, your bike your decision. I bought a Trek610 that had been rattle canned and drewed. I didn't have any problem with stripping and adding bits to support the intention of the bike which is sport touring. So adding bits is a bit different than removing them and is dependent on what you start with. Finding something close that has already been abused is not that hard and is easy to justify mods. IMHO.
104_PaTrek., on Flickr
125_PaTrek, on Flickr
119_PaTrek, on Flickr
PaTrek STI 043_Cable Stop_01, on Flickr
Old 03-16-20, 03:17 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Howdy folks,

I have a lovely 1979 Mercian Campionissimo frame set. It was meant to be a 10-speed and has a peg on the down tube to hold a shifter boss in place, three shift cable guides, and two brake cable guides. It has stamped dropouts with no derailleur hanger. It was the "low end" frame offered by Mercian at the time and has Prugnat lugs, but is still built fully from butted Reynolds 531 tubing.

The frame is just my size and I really want to keep it, but I have enough multi-speed bikes and other frame projects that are less suitable for modification. I am missing a fixed gear bike in my stable, and I specifically want relaxed road-going geometry and don't necessarily care about track ends. I would like to keep and enjoy this frame, and have a rather elaborate paint scheme in mind for it as well. I can only imagine being bothered by all of the unused braze-ons after taking the time to paint the frame and set it up specifically as a fixed gear.

Assuming I actually pour a lot of time and effort into the paint, and know that I'll surely keep and enjoy riding the bicycle for many years to come, would people be put off by my chopping all of those little bits off of a Mercian? It strikes even myself as sacrilege to some extent but the frame is otherwise perfect for what I want - not to mention the fact that I also just really want a MERCIAN!

What say ye all? Time to let some controversial opinions roll!

-Gregory

I'm digging all the artwork from Middle Earth for obvious reasons once you see my location,

It's your call on the frame but you know that most here wouldn't do it for what it's worth.
Old 03-16-20, 03:29 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
If the finish were trashed, nobody would bat an eye. However, it IS your bike, and you do intend to do it more than justice when you refinish it.

You say you want to retain the pump peg (which I actually might not have decided to keep). I would advocate for also retaining the fender eyelets and the brake cable guides (yes, it's going to be a fixed gear, but I mount brakes on all my bicycles that are going to be used in traffic with the general public). This really doesn't leave very much to be removed though. lol

Eager to see how this ends up. Re-imagining bicycles can be a very sweet (if not entirely linear) adventure.
Old 03-16-20, 03:35 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
If the finish were trashed, nobody would bat an eye. However, it IS your bike, and you do intend to do it more than justice when you refinish it.

You say you want to retain the pump peg (which I actually might not have decided to keep). I would advocate for also retaining the fender eyelets and the brake cable guides (yes, it's going to be a fixed gear, but I mount brakes on all my bicycles that are going to be used in traffic with the general public). This really doesn't leave very much to be removed though. lol

Eager to see how this ends up. Re-imagining bicycles can be a very sweet (if not entirely linear) adventure.
good point here....maybe you stay fixie, maybe you go single speed.....and i know you can to a front only brake, but front and rear give more control....... and fixie is passe anyway

Old 03-16-20, 03:47 PM
Kilroy1988 

I'm not sure about the brake cable guides yet but I'll definitely retain the fender eyelets. Removing them is not an option if I'm going for a proper British look from any era!

Clip on cable guides were common for when riders did choose to use both front and rear brakes. I'm not advertse to that at all assuming I'll mostly just run a front brake anyway, as I always have in the past with my fixed gear bikes.

The wheelset I have for the bike has double fixed cogs. No single speed for me! That seems counter-produxtive considering the advantages in strength and cadence gained from riding fixed.
Old 03-16-20, 04:30 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I thought about gugie and asking to do just that, with the classic "road/path" frames in mind. Robust track dropouts with fender eyelets look pretty cool!
Don't go track ends! Living up to peer pressure is their only asset on the road. When I had my custom road fix gear made, I had road fix gear dropouts made. 11 degee angle, a compromise between perpendicular to the seatstay for pad alignment and horizontal to maintain BB height with large cog changes. Slot running forward, then down so I could use the entire slot and have the tire near brushing the seattube and still get the wheel out fast and easy. The only issue with fenders is that with a 2" long slot, I had to modify the rear to be longer. (And I made a small oval hole at the nearest tire to seatstay point so there is no fender there and the entire slot can be used. I can run 12 and 23 with the fender changing nothing.)

If you want to mess with the dropouts, get 1/4" steel plate and make yourself a road "L" dropout. Just a little work with a bandsaw and file. The rest is identical to a 3rd party track end.

I had adjusting screws fitted for my dropouts which I love on my winter fix gear (brainless wheel fits after late night flats coming home in the rain) but quickly stopped using the screws on the custom because flipping was so much fun. (Spend the money for a track quality crankset. The roundness makes setting correct chain slack very easy. My custom has a Sugino 75. Well worth it just for the time and work it saves on wheel flips. (Chain barely lightens and loosens as I go through the pedal stoke. Set the 1/2" slack - and I don't even need to be very close) and the bike is ready to ride. Cheaper or road cranksets and you may find you have to spin the pedal several revolutions to find the tightest and loosest points. The makers of road cranksets hae zero incentive to keep things round. Slightly oblong cranksets shifter better and faster.

I know people are fans of track ends with stops but again, I ask why? They are not needed to keep the wheel in place. Very strong velodrome riders have been riding sprint races for a century without them. (Look at photos of Nelson Vails - he didn't use them. I'll bet his nemesis, Mark Gorski, didn't either.

I was riding fix gears on the road 20 years before they became popular; on road bikes like most of us from those days. The track bike as a popular option for road fix gear fix gear riding started in the '90s with the hipster crowd. Yes, some have always ridden them as road bikes. But never large numbers until it became the thing to do. Peer pressure is an impressive force. Completely overrides decades of experience.

(Now I get to sit back and watch myself get blasted.)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-16-20, 04:34 PM
Kilroy1988 

Ben,

I just like the look but am well aware that many British riders simply used road frames with regular drop outs for their fixed riding. It'll certainly be easier not to change that aspect of the bike! I just meant to mention that I did in fact consider it since I know we have some local talent who could make that happen!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.