Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

If you made your own

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

If you made your own

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-20, 06:19 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
If you made your own

I like the idea of having an electric bike with one or more solar panels to charge the battery. However, if you put solar panels on a regular bike, it would make balancing more difficult. Some people put solar panels on a trailer, and that is an option, but it results in a long bike/trailer combination.

A good way to go would be to make a four wheel ebike, with solar panels forming a roof. You could start out with just that, but it would not be that difficult to add some kind of removable sides to protect the rider from rain.

I may or may not ever make such a bike. But if I did, that would be the type of bike I would like to make.
Old 04-12-20, 09:46 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
In some states, 4 wheels means it cannot be a legal e-bike. Something to consider.
Old 04-20-20, 02:14 PM
CigTech2

Bikes: Kent DIY Road Ebike build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I built a bike like what you are wanting. I seen on this web sit a build kit for a PVC pipe bike. 4 wheels a top and I made it look like a small truck. could ride 2 people and was Hub motor driven. all it need was a solar panel. I'll look it up and send photos later. at work right now.
Old 04-20-20, 04:04 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Do some google on "The Sun Trip", a race for solar powered bikes from France to China. These will be real machines that endured the rigor of mind numbing pedaling acrossthe Alps and thru deserts. You can see what people designed.

Old 04-20-20, 04:59 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Here I am on the way from Kansas to Utah. This involved riding over the Rocky Mountains. I am currently working on another trike, actually, a Rotovelo, to do a similar trip. However, this second time the solar panels will be on a trailer.
Old 04-20-20, 06:50 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
Grin (ebikesca) made their own, an interesting solar-powered three-wheeler for a 5700 km trip from Lyon, France to Iran. Interesting video on the site.

Edit: Probably them riding part of the "race" mentioned above.

Last edited by 2old; 04-21-20 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-20-20, 08:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
If I made my own it would have to have some way of connecting 4 Bosch Cargo Line Speed motors one at each wheel and the capability to run all 625wh batteries with 2 for each so 8 total and would make it recumbent and aero shaped with solar around the outside but also very important good cooling inside. Sort of a velo mobile type deal but way crazier.
Old 04-21-20, 09:50 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
I ride off road almost exclusively and constructed this bike about five years ago; pretty much what I wanted then and now. If I could have the same power in a lighter bike that would be ideal, but it can't get too much lighter with this much power.
Old 04-21-20, 10:22 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
making my own is on the list, but I want a mid drive and I'm not particularly happy about what I can buy right now