Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New here. Got a problem lookin for some advice

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-20, 06:27 PM
beantownryder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hiya! So I casually ride. Especially as I’ve gotten older with less free time but I like to work on bikes as a light hobby and I’ll keep it resell. So I usually have and work with mountain bikes. So I came across a broken down single speed abandoned in train station so I took it aligned the wheels, reattached the handlebars and I noticed the seat was broken off. See where I’m going? So I managed to pull at the nub of seat til it popped off. Seems the last owner “glued” the seat into the post. Now I see the post has grooves so I can’t put another seat into it. It must come out. I suspect it’s been glued in too cuz wtf why not with whoever had it b4! It’s aluminum shaft in steel frame. It could just be corroded in but I bought some spray to help that and tried pulling n twisting. All regular stuff. It’s seized real good. I need creativity. IS IT WORTH IT? Ugh. I’d like to overcome this challenge and have a new single speed to play around with for low money. I haven’t tried the caustic soda method yet but that’s how extreme it is. I was thinking of gettin the jack out my car, putting a screw thru the pipe and trying to jack it up. Thoughts? It might warp the frame b4 I realized tho. I’m currently looking for some1 I kno to lend me a reciprocating saw. I’ll cut it but it’s about 9-10 in deep. I think I know why they tossed it. Is there a mechanical genius out there that knows exactly what I should do? Lol
Old 05-08-20, 06:28 PM
beantownryder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the way if I did this wrong... my bad.
Old 05-08-20, 06:37 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by beantownryder
By the way if I did this wrong... my bad.
You managed to eventually belabor the point across, despite beginning three of the first four sentences with a superfluous "so,"
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 05-08-20, 07:31 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
Paragraphs are wonderful.
I might have even read your post if you used a few.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 05-08-20, 07:59 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
This is a not uncommon problem and has been covered many times over the years.
Do a search on this thread for ‘stuck seatpost’ and the Wisdom Of The Ages shall be yours!
Old 05-08-20, 09:06 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
You can put the seat post in a vise, then try twisting the frame.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-08-20, 10:12 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I came across a broken down single speed abandoned in train station
I am conscious that some bikes have been stolen, trashed by the person who stole them, then abandoned. There may even be a situation where someone rode to the train station, caught the train, and hoped to ride the bike home again when they return.

You may have a stolen bike. You may be accused of stealing a bike. They even have you on video.

I don't pick up bikes if there is a possibility that they might be stolen.

I rescue bikes from the trash. If there is any doubt, I ask.

From time to time, there are abandoned bikes near where I live. Sometimes broken. I don't pick them up.

You could even have a situation where someone puts out a heap of trash, and a child comes along and leaves their bike near the heap of trash. If you take it, you are stealing.
Old 05-09-20, 04:54 PM
beantownryder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
I am conscious that some bikes have been stolen, trashed by the person who stole them, then abandoned. There may even be a situation where someone rode to the train station, caught the train, and hoped to ride the bike home again when they return.

You may have a stolen bike. You may be accused of stealing a bike. They even have you on video.

I don't pick up bikes if there is a possibility that they might be stolen.

I rescue bikes from the trash. If there is any doubt, I ask.

From time to time, there are abandoned bikes near where I live. Sometimes broken. I don't pick them up.

You could even have a situation where someone puts out a heap of trash, and a child comes along and leaves their bike near the heap of trash. If you take it, you are stealing.
almost as useful as the complains about punctuation.
Abandoned bikes are cut from their chains if left for a long time I was told by the person working there. Then put where I got this one. It was not the only one. It was a pile of rusted parts near a large dumpster.
There is an obvious place where people have bikes locked n “parked”. This was the trash. It was not in rideable condition.
Do u feel better? Cuz it don’t matter. I’m not a thief and I dnt appreciate being lowkey accused of being one. I didn’t feel the need to include
Old 05-09-20, 05:01 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Caustic does nothing if the seat post and frame are both steel. Caustic soda is also pretty dangerous and I would not recommend it for home use.
Old 05-09-20, 05:02 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Are you saying that the seatpost is stuck inside the frame of the bicycle?

What held the saddle/seat to the post?

Knowing that might help us help you.

Cheers
Old 05-09-20, 05:47 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
almost as useful as the complains about punctuation.
Abandoned bikes are cut from their chains if left for a long time I was told by the person working there. Then put where I got this one. It was not the only one. It was a pile of rusted parts near a large dumpster.
There is an obvious place where people have bikes locked n “parked”. This was the trash. It was not in rideable condition.
Do u feel better? Cuz it don’t matter. I’m not a thief and I dnt appreciate being lowkey accused of being one. I didn’t feel the need to include
Nobody complained about punctuation specifically. And he wasn't so "lowkey" about it, was he?