Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

In the market for a new bike - need input

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-20, 11:21 AM
500lbman

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL7 S-Works, BMC Roadmachine 01 Four, Specialized Diverge Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Alloy, SE Bikes Fast Ripper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 6 Posts

Hey all - I'm in the market for a new bike. Size 54-ish. Looking to make the one buy that I can live with for the next few years. Budget is $5k-$6k. Looking for a fast bike with electronic shifting, carbon wheels, newer aero/frame design. I'm used to riding an endurance geometry and am not looking to go super racey geometry on this bike, but will keep options open. I ride 30-60 milers typically on fairly flat trails. I usually do 1200 ft in elevation on a 40 miler. Considering the Tarmac and Roubaix (although the Roubaix seems a bit heavy), the Giant TCR Pro, Cannondale Supersix EVO. Not a huge Trek fan but would probably try it out. Open to both Sram and Shimano.

Any advice/experiences with these bikes is appreciated.
Old 05-12-20, 12:20 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I'm a big fan of Giant, love my 2020 Defy, and the 2021 TCR is def on my radar, the Pro 0 ticks all of your boxes and is in the middle of your price range, even comes with a power meter.

But I would def recommend test riding as many of the bikes that you're looking at as possible, sometimes a bike just speaks to you and feels right. The SL6 Tarmac, while being a "race" bike, is pretty comfortable, I had a 2019 Comp and had no issues doing centuries on it (28mm tires helped).
Old 05-12-20, 12:57 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
At that budget and with that flat ride profile, why not look at aero bikes instead of climbing bikes? Madone, Venge, SystemSix, Propel. Sure, the latest climbing bikes tout that they're more aero than ever, but they are still going to be slower than a true aero bike.
Old 05-12-20, 01:10 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by 500lbman
Hey all - I'm in the market for a new bike. Size 54-ish. Looking to make the one buy that I can live with for the next few years. Budget is $5k-$6k. Looking for a fast bike with electronic shifting, carbon wheels, newer aero/frame design. I'm used to riding an endurance geometry and am not looking to go super racey geometry on this bike, but will keep options open. I ride 30-60 milers typically on fairly flat trails. I usually do 1200 ft in elevation on a 40 miler. Considering the Tarmac and Roubaix (although the Roubaix seems a bit heavy), the Giant TCR Pro, Cannondale Supersix EVO. Not a huge Trek fan but would probably try it out. Open to both Sram and Shimano.

Any advice/experiences with these bikes is appreciated.
I currently have the TCR Adv Pro 0 and it is great. I had a Defy Adv 3 prior to that and it was also great, but I prefer the TCR over it. It feels a little more ''stable''. For 5-6k, you can either get a 2020 TCR Adv Pro 0 (Sram Force) or 1 (Ultegra DI2) or a 2020 Defy Advanced Pro 1 (Sram Force). For a reason I can't understand, Giant no longer offers a Defy equipped with DI2.

If you are looking for an excellent bike at a decent price, go with Giant. They clearly offer the best bang for the buck due to their business model. They produce their own CF from scratch (raw materials) that has a great stiffness to weight ratio.
Old 05-12-20, 02:00 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Canyon Endurace?
Likes For datlas:
Old 05-12-20, 03:03 PM
CerveloS5

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo S5 Di2

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts
Excelsports has a Cervelo R3 Ultegra Di2 in a 54cm on closeout at $2998. I don't have enough posts to paste URL link lol. While not an aero bike per se, this is a solid deal. Also, take a look at the Cervelo S3 with Ultegra Di2 I think it's within your budget.
Old 05-17-20, 06:12 AM
ckmak

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Rapid

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
I currently have the TCR Adv Pro 0 and it is great. I had a Defy Adv 3 prior to that and it was also great, but I prefer the TCR over it. It feels a little more ''stable''. For 5-6k, you can either get a 2020 TCR Adv Pro 0 (Sram Force) or 1 (Ultegra DI2) or a 2020 Defy Advanced Pro 1 (Sram Force). For a reason I can't understand, Giant no longer offers a Defy equipped with DI2.

If you are looking for an excellent bike at a decent price, go with Giant. They clearly offer the best bang for the buck due to their business model. They produce their own CF from scratch (raw materials) that has a great stiffness to weight ratio.
The TCR Advanced Pro 1 is Ultegra and the 0 is Ultegra Di2. Pro 0 gets my vote as that is my ride too. Though as previous poster said if you are mainly riding cflats an Aero bike might be more suitable.
Old 05-17-20, 09:41 AM
av8n

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you dislike about Trek?
Old 05-17-20, 06:22 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
I'd check out a CAAD 13. I bought a new CAAD 12 last year and it is awesome. Cost me $1350. Really a great bike.

Old 05-17-20, 09:16 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I've got a Venge. It's okay. One thing I don't care for is the aero handlebars, which aren't as comfortable to ride with your hands on the flats.
Old 05-18-20, 09:07 PM
NoseOyster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have a look at the Scott Addict RC-great bike and you will get much better components than you would on a Specialized at the same price
Old 05-19-20, 08:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
So it's been a week, what did you get? Or are you stuck like I sometimes get trying to make sure you found the "best". Your list is pretty much what my list was. However only the Specialized dealer had a bikes in my size range so I could try it out a couple. The Giant and Cannondale dealer didn't have any until after I'd already test road the Tarmac, found it more to be a great ride and put an order in for the Di2 version. Besides the others not having a bike for me to try out during my search window, I decided to go with the Specialized LBS simply because the salesman/mechanic had the gift of listening as well as the gift of gab. So my conversations with him made me feel like he actually cared. Plus, they are the oldest bike shop in my area. Been around since I was a teen.
Old 05-19-20, 03:04 PM
bigjulie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out Scott & Jamis. Generally better builds for the money.