Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

I'm not going out on Memorial Day

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-20, 07:36 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts

It's going to be a day off. I'm thinking there's going to be a huge spike of people wanting to get out for the first time in a long time and stretch their legs. I'm predicting that it won't be pretty tomorrow. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Old 05-24-20, 08:00 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
sounds like a potential move to the covid sub-forum? regardless, it's never a mistake, to make a safe choice
Old 05-24-20, 08:23 AM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
sounds like a potential move to the covid sub-forum? regardless, it's never a mistake, to make a safe choice
Yeah, I wasn't sure if it would get moved or not. I hope not. I really meant for this to sort of stand as a record of who was going out and then what they experienced.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 05-24-20, 08:55 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Yeah, I wasn't sure if it would get moved or not. I hope not. I really meant for this to sort of stand as a record of who was going out and then what they experienced.
I went to the garden center, yesterday. got some dirt & plants. I wore mask & gloves. other customers wore masks. the employees wore masks & gloves. I chatted w/ ppl as I normally do, except everyone had to speak thru masks. the new normal isn't so bad. also went to the grocery store & spent an all time high of $350. I got 3 kinds of cheese & Wifey got another the other day. oops. I am still struggling with the one-way aisles
Old 05-24-20, 10:59 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Got into desert landscaping the past two mornings. Lowes is busy! Definitely heading out real early at 0400 AM Memorial Day to beat the heat and people. Will be back by 1100 to kick back the rest of the day. Will start from home and likely do a long loop using SART, SGRT and PCH and finish up through La Habra Hgts and Whittier Hills.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-24-20, 11:43 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,438 Times in 988 Posts
Like CAT7RDR I'll be out starting at pre-dawn for a few 'neighborhood loops' then onto the SART when the sunlight starts appearing in the eastern horizon. Probably home by 8AM at the latest, and that should be well before the SART fills up.

FWIW: I'm not riding today. Did 25 miles yesterday, then took advantage of the cool weather and spent 2 hours trimming shrubs and pulling weeds in my back yard. Kind of sore and a little tired and stiff this AM, so took a 2 mile walk and "just chillin" the rest of the day.
Likes For skidder:
Old 05-24-20, 11:45 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
was going to drive up to palos verdes peninsula and do a 50-miler since there are precious few holiday destinations (bluff cove, abalone cove) there
but still all the views and coastal feel. somehow tweaked the back yday on a ride tho and gonna shut it down at least till tuesday. may be a blessing in disguise.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 05-24-20, 02:09 PM
TakingMyTime

I just think there's going to be a bunch of knuckleheads out on the road this Monday. People seem to be rushing into the "pandemic is over and everything's ok" mode a little faster than I would have expected. It just takes the mentality of "there won't be a lot of people out so let's go out and hit our favorite spot".to have things at capacity in no time.

The wife and I have a small 2 person bbq setup for Monday. I finished all the backyard trimming, weeding and cultivating, so tomorrow we can enjoy the place.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 05-24-20, 04:38 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
The wife and I have a small 2 person bbq setup for Monday. I finished all the backyard trimming, weeding and cultivating, so tomorrow we can enjoy the place.
heartwarming
Old 05-25-20, 10:44 AM
TakingMyTime

We took a walk through El Dorado Park this morning. The SGRT runs adjacent to the park. There were a lot more riders on the SGRT than I have seen in a long time. It actually looked a little too crowded. Good day for a walk.
Old 05-25-20, 11:31 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

^now it's bbq time!
Old 05-25-20, 11:46 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
My dad was born on Memorial Day; the real Memorial Day, May 30th. He passed 10 years ago 2 weeks short of his birthday. I will honor my dad and the day in my heart next Saturday. Today is just a long weekend Monday. And no, I do not have to go out and join crowds to honor the day. (Either one)
Old 05-26-20, 03:04 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
I do not blame you. I am not shy about public gatherings or busy roads, but the past 6 weeks has seen an incredible increase of traffic in outdoor areas. Last weekend (the one before Memorial Day), I saw an insane amount of traffic on the 39 and East Fork. When I got to Islip Saddle on the 39/2 junction, the parking lot was overflow. The 2 was closed east of Islip Saddle (towards Wrightwood) A month before, ACH/2 was packed from La Caņada to Newcombs (my ending point). I love our roads, but I have never seen then this busy.

I was lucky enough to have Friday off, so I did my weekly big ride on that day in the Santa Monica Mountains. Very little traffic. Spent the rest of the weekend in Palm Springs (little traffic on all days), but I stayed in a house all weekend and did not venture to outdoor activity sights such as Joshua Tree.
Old 05-27-20, 10:17 AM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
was going to drive up to palos verdes peninsula and do a 50-miler since there are precious few holiday destinations (bluff cove, abalone cove) there
but still all the views and coastal feel. somehow tweaked the back yday on a ride tho and gonna shut it down at least till tuesday. may be a blessing in disguise.
I really miss living and riding in the South Bay. I grew up in Wilmington and used to take Anaheim into PV Drive North to Redondo and back. That was my go to ride during the week and then PV Drive East up to Crest Road and down PV Drive West to Redondo and beyond.... Can't beat the ocean breeze. Seems like you can do that ride any time of year and day...
Likes For Genaro:
Old 05-28-20, 01:00 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by Genaro
I really miss living and riding in the South Bay. I grew up in Wilmington and used to take Anaheim into PV Drive North to Redondo and back. That was my go to ride during the week and then PV Drive East up to Crest Road and down PV Drive West to Redondo and beyond.... Can't beat the ocean breeze. Seems like you can do that ride any time of year and day...
totally. i try to get back 3-5 times a year.