Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's the cheapest popular-brand multiuse bike one can get w/o sacrificing quality?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's the cheapest popular-brand multiuse bike one can get w/o sacrificing quality?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-20, 07:16 AM
CaptainPlanet

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

So far the cheapest named brand bike I saw was Trek FX 1 for $400, and the review for this bike is very stellar, but I want to know if there are other bikes cheaper than this that's also worth a buy.

A tech example I always give is logitech. When I just need some quick and cheap tech to get things going, say I need a 10 dollar keyboard and mouse right away without doing any research, I will pretty much always default to logitech. logitech makes some really good high end stuff, but they also make low end stuff with more consistent quality than their competitors. They don't compromise on quality no matter it's their low end or high end.

So I was trying to see if I can find a bike equivalent of that. A bike company that will compete for the low end market share but also known for their all around quality.
When I was looking at the poppular brand bikes,
Kona/Trek/Marin/Giant/Specialized/GT/Cannondale/Norco, and etc
it seems they only go as low as 400. The only bikes I saw below 400 are generic retailer bikes that cut a lot of corners and reuse ancient tech.
Thing is I don't know if I missed any other brands than the ones I have listed. Maybe there are cheaper bikes from big braneds I haven't heard of.

Is there a named brand bike cheaper than Trek FX-1 that's worth buying?
Trek FX-1 is only this price becuase it has no disc or front suspension, and that's fine. It just means you paied for a well-buiilt basic model with a path to future upgrade.

Last edited by CaptainPlanet; 05-25-20 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-25-20, 07:24 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
My general feeling is, anything under $400 is usually a toy store bike.

If you want cheap... buy used.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-25-20, 07:38 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
If your a new rider and not capable of doing your own basic bicycle maintenance then I definitely recommend that you only buy a name brand bike from a local bike shop that will support you with checkups and after sales service.
$400 isn't expensive for a basic new bike in my book in Australia anyway. They may be cheaper in the USA. What's the price on a Giant where you live?

Really cheap bikes won't necessarily outright break on you but the gears and brakes can be difficult to adjust and if you don't know how to adjust the brakes and gears yourself yet they always need adjusting then you can see how cheap bikes just get left in a shed or abandoned.
Old 05-25-20, 07:47 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
Buy used > save 50+%
Old 05-25-20, 07:48 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Actually after thinking about it, you most likely won't be able to find the actual bike since most stores are sold out for the year.
Old 05-25-20, 08:15 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet
So far the cheapest named brand bike I saw was Trek FX 1 for $400, and the review for this bike is very stellar, but I want to know if there are other bikes cheaper than this that's also worth a buy.

A tech example I always give is logitech. When I just need some quick and cheap tech to get things going, say I need a 10 dollar keyboard and mouse right away without doing any research, I will pretty much always default to logitech. logitech makes some really good high end stuff, but they also make low end stuff with more consistent quality than their competitors. They don't compromise on quality no matter it's their low end or high end.

So I was trying to see if I can find a bike equivalent of that. A bike company that will compete for the low end market share but also known for their all around quality.
When I was looking at the poppular brand bikes,
Kona/Trek/Marin/Giant/Specialized/GT/Cannondale/Norco, and etc
it seems they only go as low as 400. The only bikes I saw below 400 are generic retailer bikes that cut a lot of corners and reuse ancient tech.
Thing is I don't know if I missed any other brands than the ones I have listed. Maybe there are cheaper bikes from big braneds I haven't heard of.

Is there a named brand bike cheaper than Trek FX-1 that's worth buying?
Trek FX-1 is only this price becuase it has no disc or front suspension, and that's fine. It just means you paied for a well-buiilt basic model with a path to future upgrade.
You probably won't find anything less expensive than that. Remember that China is paying tariffs on those bikes now. 11% currently on complete bikes and 5.5% on road bikes. There used to be less expensive bikes but that tariff that China is "paying" drove the price up. Quality came down a little as well.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-25-20, 08:35 AM
Freerojo

Bikes: 1997 Specialized Hardrock GX, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Triple 105, 1996 Cannondale RT2000 tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You probably won't find anything less expensive than that. Remember that China is paying tariffs on those bikes now. 11% currently on complete bikes and 5.5% on road bikes. There used to be less expensive bikes but that tariff that China is "paying" drove the price up. Quality came down a little as well.
China doesn’t pay “the tariff”, the consumer does.
Old 05-25-20, 08:41 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
IDK if it is tariffs, or the industry pushing things like hydraulic disc brakes, or interrruptions in the supply chain, but prices of new entry level bikes have gone up. Generally, Giant is the value leader among quality bikes. I had to look it up in archives to see if my memory was correct. In 2017, you could get a 7 Speed Giant Escape 3 for $340 retail, an 8 speed Giant Escape 2 with 8 speed drivetrain for around $400, and an upgraded Escape 1 with 9 speed and carbon fork for $600. Today, the non disc escape 3 is the only option for Giant under $450, and the Escape 1 disc, with 9 speed and carbon fork is now $800.

I used to advice newcomers to look at the $400 to $500 price point as where to start, because you got past the entry level 7 speed drive trains into at least 8 speed, but now you need to spend at least $600 just to get 8 speed, and over $800 to get 9 speed. And there is no quality brand that goes below these price points.
Old 05-25-20, 09:15 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Out of LBS bijes, Giant seems to be the best value.
Better value with direct brands.

All the low level bikes are garbage for if you ride a lot.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 05-25-20, 02:33 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
The names, "Gravity, Mercier, Motobecane, & Windsor" are not really known to the general public as a popular non-supermarket bicycle, but in my experiences thus far, those brands are worth a look for how much they're priced at. Goodluck trying to obtain a bicycle currently though.
Old 05-25-20, 03:18 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Freerojo
Um...""
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-25-20, 03:52 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

That's not what the current resident of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. told us.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-25-20, 04:28 PM
Freerojo

Bikes: 1997 Specialized Hardrock GX, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Triple 105, 1996 Cannondale RT2000 tandem

Um...""
“...companies in China do not pay U.S. tariffs directly. Tariffs are a tax on imported products and are paid by U.S.-registered firms to U.S. customs when goods enter the United States. Importers often pass the costs of tariffs on to customers - manufacturers and consumers in the United States - by raising their prices. U.S. business executives and economists say U.S. consumers foot much of the tariff bill.“
Old 05-25-20, 04:51 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
One thing you can do is wait until the end of the season when everything's on sale. Springtime is usually the worst time to buy a bike, and we're in a bike shortage right now to boot. I don't think anybody's going to discount a decent bike. The brands you mention are all reputable.

A few years ago I bought a new bike in the spring, but I figured that a summer of fun was worth paying a bit more for the bike. Sure enough, the store marked it down in the fall, but I have no regrets. Right now I'd pay it to get some exercise, blow off steam, and avoid the covid.

Diamondback, Raleigh, and Fuji are interesting brands that seem to have somewhat different dealer networks, and occasionally good prices. I'm quite happy with my Diamondback. They seem to save a few dollars by using a reasonable mixture of brand-name and generic parts.

Below that $400 level (give or take), you may have to do more of the quality control yourself, such as checking the tension of the spokes and lubrication of the bearings. At the same time, gaining at least some basic bike maintenance skill greatly improves the practicality and enjoyment of cycling.
Old 05-25-20, 08:16 PM
cyccommute 

“...companies in China do not pay U.S. tariffs directly. Tariffs are a tax on imported products and are paid by U.S.-registered firms to U.S. customs when goods enter the United States. Importers often pass the costs of tariffs on to customers - manufacturers and consumers in the United States - by raising their prices. U.S. business executives and economists say U.S. consumers foot much of the tariff bill.“
Um...””.

As in rolly eyes. As in sarcasm. Reread post 6 with that in mind.

Old 05-25-20, 08:24 PM
Freerojo

My apologies.
Old 05-25-20, 11:10 PM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Depends on what you mean by 'multiuse' but I reckon there are some quality single speed bikes under $400.
Old 05-26-20, 03:48 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
The price of the bike doesn't determine it's quality, you just have to shop around , if you limit yourself to one specific bike style you will be restricting your options .
Old 05-26-20, 08:33 AM
cyccommute 

My apologies.
No problem. I’ve been known to be kind of dense at times as well.

Old 05-26-20, 01:55 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
The price of the bike doesn't determine it's quality, you just have to shop around , if you limit yourself to one specific bike style you will be restricting your options .
Well, it kind of does. At least at the entry level.
Old 05-26-20, 05:51 PM
Freerojo

No problem. I’ve been known to be kind of dense at times as well.
Actually, it wasn’t density, it was the fact that your emoticon was too small to be properly understood.
Old 05-26-20, 07:23 PM
cyccommute 

Actually, it wasn’t density, it was the fact that your emoticon was too small to be properly understood.
That’s the size that we are given.