Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shimano going weird with 8 & 9 speeds

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-30-20, 01:40 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts

I've seen many bikes lately with a combination of Tourney, Altus or even Acera. But the lineup lately seems inconsistent to the point of being weird. I mean if they sell Tourney rear derailleurs in 6, 7 or 8 speeds, then why can't they sell front and rear derailleurs in their M2000 or M3000 series in 8 speeds? Or even 2x8 front derailleurs in Altus or Acera to go with their fantastic new Tourney 2x8 30/46T sub-compact cranket? I'd like to buy a sub-compact crankset but found out the only compatible front derailleur is a Tourney. Yes, I know the Tourney can shift but assuming I want the new Altus SL-M315 shifters, I wish I could pair them with the new M2000 or M3000 front AND rear derailleurs (in 2x8 speeds specifically). And why are the new Altus shifters called M315 and not M2015?

I also wouldn't mind seeing a square taper Acera crankset with replaceable chainrings on another 30/46T sub-compact (with chainguard).

By the way, Shimano did come out with another cool thing, the BB-UN300 square taper bottom bracket. First, they have a metal cup with no "lip" on the non-drive that won't cause issues if you use a spacer. Second, there's a metal part that prevents you from torquing the drive side too far that could change your chainline.
Old 05-30-20, 03:04 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
6, 7 and 8 speed are all cross-compatible. If a chain, derailleur or crankset says it is compatible with 8 speed then it will work with 6 and 7 speed systems too.
Old 05-30-20, 03:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
What is weird is Shimano makes some really nice groupsets and then you see stuff like Tourney and you are like, HUH? Why would you make such quality and then such absolute crap? I get it they are a company and they probably make a ton of money on the crap because it is widely spec'd but still.

If they just stuck to making the cheap stuff clones of old XT derailleurs (m735 or m737) and Dura-Ace (7400) it would be great even with cheaper pulley wheels.
Old 05-30-20, 03:37 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
All those groups are so confusing, overlapping and mostly indistinguishable. The are primarily sold as OEM, so thankfully most of us don't have to try to figure out the differences.
Old 05-30-20, 03:55 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
What is weird is Shimano makes some really nice groupsets and then you see stuff like Tourney and you are like, HUH? Why would you make such quality and then such absolute crap? I get it they are a company and they probably make a ton of money on the crap because it is widely spec'd but still..
Kind of how a full line manufacturer works. Sort of why Chevy makes a $15K Spark and a $100K Corvette.
Probably sell a heck of a lot more Tourney than Dura Ace. They're in business to make money, not please you.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-30-20, 09:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Kind of how a full line manufacturer works. Sort of why Chevy makes a $15K Spark and a $100K Corvette.
Probably sell a heck of a lot more Tourney than Dura Ace. They're in business to make money, not please you.
I know that if they were trying to please me they would make a dedicated 3x9 (or 10) touring group for drop bars and their RX and GRX lines would clear larger cassettes and there would be a new DA Track group that uses external bottoms brackets. As well as a few other things.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-31-20, 07:54 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
What's more, Shimano have mixed up their groupsets and their nomenclature with the latest versions. For example, up until recently, Deore had M6xxx in the code, Alivio M4xxx, Acera M3xxx, Altus M2xxx. Now the newest Deore 12speed RD is M6100, Deore 11speed RD is M5100/M5120, Deore 10/11speed RD is M4120. Meanwhile Alivio RD has been demoted to M3100, and furthermore, as far as I can tell from pictures, it is the exact same RD as Altus M2000.
Old 05-31-20, 11:16 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
They play around to limit your upgrade paths, it's DRM for bikes.