Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Looking for a hybrid bike

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-20, 02:03 PM
bikelessinSD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In February I was really close to buying a bike but a few $ short. Was pretty set on a Raleigh Redux. Then we all know what happened. Found myself stuck out of town for 2 months. Now I'm back and there seems to be no medium sized hybrid bikes anywhere in town. I'm in San Diego. I've called shops. Visited the one closest to me. Nothing. Now I've been reading more about bikes and ironically I'm more confused what I want. I think for me the weight is probably the most important because I want to be able to put it in and out of my hatchback with minimal effort. I like the 1x bikes for that because they seem like less potential maintenance and less weight. Secondly I want the bike to be comfortable. I'm looking to ride for fitness, but want a flatbar bike. My idea of fitness is probably ride 10-25 miles 2 times a week or so. I've been close to ordering a bike on bikesdirect. I'm somewhere between a Marin Fairfax and a Cannondale Quick4 or still a Redux if they are even making them. I guess my budget is $400-$800. Ideally I'd love to go test ride one out before I buy. Any ideas besides waiting for the boxes of bikes to come from overseas? Feeling discouraged so any ideas on how to get a new bike, be happy, and have my next post be a ride report would be great. Thanks for reading.
Old 06-01-20, 07:37 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Have you checked C/L in San Diego? You can usually find great condition used Hybrids for $300 - $400. Plus you can test ride them. I know now with the virus some people may be a little hesitant about this approach, but some gloves and a mask should make things good. And my personal opinion is if you're planning on only 1-2 rides a week I would stick with something used, good condition and affordable. A used $250 hybrid, and then possible another $100 to get it the way you want it isn't really than bad of an idea. Most LBS will do a somewhat complete overhaul for $120. So $250 + $120 and you've got yourself just what your're looking for.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 06-01-20, 08:01 PM
bikelessinSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Have you checked C/L in San Diego? You can usually find great condition used Hybrids for $300 - $400. Plus you can test ride them. I know now with the virus some people may be a little hesitant about this approach, but some gloves and a mask should make things good. And my personal opinion is if you're planning on only 1-2 rides a week I would stick with something used, good condition and affordable. A used $250 hybrid, and then possible another $100 to get it the way you want it isn't really than bad of an idea. Most LBS will do a somewhat complete overhaul for $120. So $250 + $120 and you've got yourself just what your're looking for.
Im totally open to buying a used bike. I’ve sold a few things recently to amass the money to buy a bike. I always meet people outdoors and with a mask, sanitize after, etc. But medium sized hybrid bikes in decent condition on local selling sites I have not seen. The shortage seems pretty real.
Old 06-01-20, 08:09 PM
TakingMyTime

Go get it... posted 2 hours ago. Lower end groupset but you can use the money you saved on upgrades.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...134286510.html
Old 06-02-20, 03:55 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Go get it... posted 2 hours ago. Lower end groupset but you can use the money you saved on upgrades.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...134286510.html
Seems fishy - the pictures are from at least two different bikes - a 7200 on the first pic, a 4300 on the second, and the close-ups of the derailleur and crankset are not from the first one, possibly from the other.
Old 06-02-20, 07:31 AM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by subgrade
Seems fishy - the pictures are from at least two different bikes - a 7200 on the first pic, a 4300 on the second, and the close-ups of the derailleur and crankset are not from the first one, possibly from the other.
You know, you're right. I wasn't looking that closely. Call and confront them with that fact and see what they say. Or just move on.
Old 06-02-20, 08:04 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by bikelessinSD
In February I was really close to buying a bike but a few $ short. Was pretty set on a Raleigh Redux. Then we all know what happened. Found myself stuck out of town for 2 months. Now I'm back and there seems to be no medium sized hybrid bikes anywhere in town. I'm in San Diego. I've called shops. Visited the one closest to me. Nothing. Now I've been reading more about bikes and ironically I'm more confused what I want. I think for me the weight is probably the most important because I want to be able to put it in and out of my hatchback with minimal effort. I like the 1x bikes for that because they seem like less potential maintenance and less weight. Secondly I want the bike to be comfortable. I'm looking to ride for fitness, but want a flatbar bike. My idea of fitness is probably ride 10-25 miles 2 times a week or so. I've been close to ordering a bike on bikesdirect. I'm somewhere between a Marin Fairfax and a Cannondale Quick4 or still a Redux if they are even making them. I guess my budget is $400-$800. Ideally I'd love to go test ride one out before I buy. Any ideas besides waiting for the boxes of bikes to come from overseas? Feeling discouraged so any ideas on how to get a new bike, be happy, and have my next post be a ride report would be great. Thanks for reading.
This is a good bike, it looks like a 17" so if you're on the shorter side of a M....
Old 06-03-20, 03:56 PM
bikelessinSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
This is a good bike, it looks like a 17" so if you're on the shorter side of a M....
Thanks for the links everyone. Appreciate you all take the time to search a bike! The 750 MultiTrack - I know it's high demand right now but $350 for a 10 year old multi-track? The seller describes it as "project bike" and mentions the brakes don't work well. If I'm going to have to sink another $100 into it that's $450 for a 10 year old bike. Am I wrong to think this is almost double the bikes normal resale value? Wouldn't even a bikedirect order be better? Or a REI CTY 1.1 for $550?
Old 06-03-20, 04:16 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
Regarding buying used....there are some great deals out there! Some Owners take very good care of their bikes both mechanically and cosmetically. I would not hesitate to buy one that falls into this category. However, with the choice between the 750 MultiTrack vs REI 1.1 I'd would go new.

If I already owned a fully functioning bike I may consider a "project bike"...but probably not.
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 06-03-20, 04:30 PM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
750 MultiTrack $350 is nuts.
Great bike but patience they pop up for $100 or so.
Old 06-04-20, 05:37 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Originally Posted by dmark
750 MultiTrack $350 is nuts.
Great bike but patience they pop up for $100 or so.
Agreed; but that was before, this is now. Does OP want a good bike to ride now or a great deal to brag about?

Some points to consider:

1/ What new bike can you get for 350? Is it handmade in the USA?
2/ This was a Suntour equipped bike, it has newer Shimano wheels that allow it to go to 10sp easily. This is the most expensive part of an upgrade. Seems to be a 9sp now
3/ Haggle
Old 06-04-20, 07:56 AM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate. It looks like it's in pretty decent shape, my read on 'project' is that the guy is saying that it could be rebuilt into a cool gravel bike or something similar, not that it's shambolic. But then I'd want to see it in person to be sure. A bike similar to this but new would easily cost more than $1000. I have a Trek 730, which is similar but lower on the food chain, and I love it. Also, FYI, this is likely an early 90's model. He only says that he's had it since 2010, so he's the second owner.
Old 06-04-20, 08:49 AM
DorkDisk

Thanks for the links everyone. Appreciate you all take the time to search a bike! The 750 MultiTrack - I know it's high demand right now but $350 for a 10 year old multi-track? The seller describes it as "project bike" and mentions the brakes don't work well. If I'm going to have to sink another $100 into it that's $450 for a 10 year old bike. Am I wrong to think this is almost double the bikes normal resale value? Wouldn't even a bikedirect order be better? Or a REI CTY 1.1 for $550?
If you can get the CO_OP and you don't want to fix an old bike, its a good option. CO_OP make good bikes.

IMO Multitrack is a better bike with more potential, but all used bikes need work. Bicycle mechanics is not difficult. 90s Made-in-USA bikes were high quality, and this one is in great condition. If you don't like it, Multitrack will sell easier to someone who knows bikes; they are popular for n+1 builds.
Old 06-04-20, 02:09 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
The bike today closest to that very nice Trek 750 is likely the Jamis Coda, probably the $599 Coda S2. It has rim brakes, a 3x8 drivetrain, and full chromemoly steel frame and fork. The next nicest Coda, the $799 Coda S1, still has a 3x8 drivetrain, but adds hydraulic disc brakes.

You're otherwise not going to find really nice butted chromemoly steel bikes for much less than that. I agree that the 750 in San Diego is higher than you can often find them listed for, but I think that's because the guy knows what he has. Most of the time, these bikes can be had for $100-200, and they don't last long at that price.

In fact, even the 750 in San Diego appears to be gone...Craigslist says the posting has expired. I don't know if that means the seller took it down or if it truly timed out from being online for so long.

There's a similar Univega on the SD Craigslist, for $250. Given the condition (some rust) and 7-speed freewheel, I think it's overpriced, despite the seller's claim of all the new parts. Having said that, San Diego may be a really hot market for bikes, I don't know. So much of bike valuation is the influence of your local market...you could probably buy two or three bikes in central Virginia for what you'd pay for one bike in the same condition in DC.
Old 06-04-20, 05:55 PM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Agreed; but that was before, this is now. Does OP want a good bike to ride now or a great deal to brag about?

Some points to consider:

1/ What new bike can you get for 350? Is it handmade in the USA?
2/ This was a Suntour equipped bike, it has newer Shimano wheels that allow it to go to 10sp easily. This is the most expensive part of an upgrade. Seems to be a 9sp now
3/ Haggle
I just browsed the San Diego Craigslist and OUCH! More expensive than NY metro area.
Old 06-04-20, 08:32 PM
CyclingBK

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
I picked up a cty 1.1 in August and love it. Been hammering away and so far it’s great.

I’m generally riding 15-20 miles now and it’s comfortable, could go more...as I get more fit ; )

It’s got 24 speeds but I haven’t really used more than the 8 on the middle ring. Shifting is smooth, brakes are good.

I haven’t had any issues but REI seems to offer one of the best guarantee/return policies.

Here it is,

Last edited by CyclingBK; 06-04-20 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-05-20, 06:30 AM
DorkDisk

Wink

Originally Posted by dmark
I just browsed the San Diego Craigslist and OUCH! More expensive than NY metro area.
This is NYC. We do everything better than anyone else . We have the highest COVID cases, the worst looting, and the highest prices on 30 years old Multi-Tracks.
Old 06-05-20, 12:51 PM
bikelessinSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't discount the fact that you have a lot of good pizza and a beautiful diversity of people which brings a richness of art and culture.
Old 06-05-20, 12:51 PM
bikelessinSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
The bike today closest to that very nice Trek 750 is likely the Jamis Coda, probably the $599 coda s2 It has rim brakes, a 3x8 drivetrain, and full chromemoly steel frame and fork. The next nicest Coda, the $799 coda still has a 3x8 drivetrain, but adds hydraulic disc brakes.

You're otherwise not going to find really nice butted chromemoly steel bikes for much less than that. I agree that the 750 in San Diego is higher than you can often find them listed for, but I think that's because the guy knows what he has. Most of the time, these bikes can be had for $100-200, and they don't last long at that price.

In fact, even the 750 in San Diego appears to be gone...Craigslist says the posting has expired. I don't know if that means the seller took it down or if it truly timed out from being online for so long.

There's a similar univega for $250. Given the condition (some rust) and 7-speed freewheel, I think it's overpriced, despite the seller's claim of all the new parts. Having said that, San Diego may be a really hot market for bikes, I don't know. So much of bike valuation is the influence of your local market...you could probably buy two or three bikes in central Virginia for what you'd pay for one bike in the same condition in DC.
That one sold too apparently.

Last edited by bikelessinSD; 06-05-20 at 12:53 PM. Reason: missed quote
Old 06-06-20, 06:02 AM
DorkDisk

This is a good option for a low weight, potential 1x; IF the headshok works, AND the boot is not torn, AND if you are about 5-8 to 6'. You can ride it as is and then swap out the crankset or chainrings for a 1x down the road. It looks like she rode it once, transported it to the other side of the country, and then parked it for 20 years.

I have a '99 F1000 for the wife; 1x and fat slicks for a fun urban shredder; IMO better than the Redux you wanted.
Old 06-06-20, 11:11 AM
bikelessinSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'm more in the market for medium size. I'm 5'8 but have found I usually don't like to ride bikes that are any sort of stretch for my size. I would probably go check it out, but I'm also dubious of the headshok. In general I don't want suspension because it's an added maintenance/repair. I read people were having trouble fixing those headshoks (getting parts or mechanics) 10 years ago, I'm guessing it's not better today. The lightweight frame is appealing. I really don't want a project. I'm open to buying a used bike but not one that I have to take to the shop to be worked on. I actually got my old beach cruiser tire fixed so I can at least get out and ride for the time being.

This one seems priced pretty fair and is my size. Looks ok from pictures. Any idea what model or year it is? I'm no expert so for all I know this is a steal or it's crap.
edit: I can't post links yet. It's a blue cannondale on offerup posted today