Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Montage freewheel...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-20, 02:50 AM
Coedwards90

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all!
I’m currently restoring a Raleigh Montage and would like to remove the freewheel so that I can work on it, but can’t locate the tool I will need to do this. Most of the information that I can find is for either the two prong or four prong tools whereas I need a 12 splined tool. I am wondering if this means that I’m dealing with a Cassette and not a freewheel? Any advice and information would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-14-20, 03:56 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Shimano, and certainly some other, use a splined tool for their freewheels. It’s a little bit smaller in diameter than the cassette lockring tool but very similar in overall appearence.
Maybe the f/w has already been replaced.
sheldonbrown.com has a good article on how to differentiate between cassettes and freewheels.
Old 06-14-20, 04:10 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
Likely a freewheel rather than a cassette.

Atom, Normandy Maillard are all possibilities(as well as Shimano) for this freewheel.

I have all of these tools available for sale.

What brand are you looking for? The name should be on the face plate of the freewheel.
rusty
Old 06-14-20, 04:24 AM
Coedwards90

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to Sheldon’s description I’m thinking that it is a freewheel.
I did think that maybe some part of it had been replaced as all of the splined tools that I’ve found are Shimano compatible. What’s confusing as the faceplate is branded Suntour FL.
The rest of the groupset is branded Suntour Accushift 3040 other than the chain ring and cranks which are Sakae Ovaltech.
Old 06-14-20, 06:18 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
https://www.yellowjersey.org/Suntour21.pdf
Old 06-14-20, 07:23 AM
Coedwards90

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, that’s a really useful document! And it does state that the “a” series 6 speed freewheel was very similar to the “perfect” which was my initial thought. I think I’ll try and get hold of the FR 1.3 socket that park tool produce and try it in. The specifications say that the diameter is approx. 23mm which would match up with the one I have here.