Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Center Pull Brakes?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Center Pull Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-20, 04:32 AM
FREEBIRD1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
Center Pull Brakes?

I have an older bike with the center pull type brakes. I have installed new shoes, adjusted the cable tension etc. They will stop the bike, but not lock up the wheels like a v-brake set-up. Any ideas on what I am missing?

Thanks.
Old 06-21-20, 05:56 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
I don't think you are missing anything by not being able to lock the brakes. It's not something you would normally want to do. KoolStop pads should be sufficient but there is also the option of compressionless cable housing.
Old 06-21-20, 06:07 AM
FREEBIRD1

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I don't think you are missing anything by not being able to lock the brakes. It's not something you would normally want to do. KoolStop pads should be sufficient but there is also the option of compressionless cable housing.

Thanks, it's a 25 year old bike applying both front and rear from 15 mph will stop in about 10 feet, I did not know if there were anything special on these old systems that needed to be don to get them working better.
Old 06-21-20, 06:11 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Have you cleaned your rims?

Old 06-21-20, 06:26 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Which type of center pull brakes does the OP have? Bolt ons like the common Weinemann or attached to frame pivots like what are commonly called canti levers? Is the straddle cable length (and thus the angle it acts on the brake arm with) adjustable? What type of casing stop (cable hanger) are on the bike?

Some center pull brakes can be set up to be very effective with adjusting the straddle cable angle as example. Others have so much flex in the cable casing stop that less then full force makes it's way to the brake. Sheldon Brown's website has a very good description of all this. Andy
Old 06-21-20, 06:29 AM
krecik

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
​​​​​​​

Last edited by krecik; 01-14-21 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-21-20, 07:00 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Ditto on the straddle cable angle for cantilever brakes. There's a good explanation of that on Sheldon Brown's website.

Some canti brakes with post-type shoes can be difficult to set up correctly. It's a three-dimensional problem to solve with only one bolt, then you need to do it again on the other side. Then twice again on the other wheel.

Cable housing type was mentioned, but poor routing and incorrect length can make a difference as well. The cable itself must be clean, too. Inspect for hidden fraying as well as corrosion.

I agree the bike should be able to skid stop, at least with both brakes applied.
Old 06-21-20, 07:47 AM
FREEBIRD1

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Ditto on the straddle cable angle for cantilever brakes. There's a good explanation of that on Sheldon Brown's website.

Some canti brakes with post-type shoes can be difficult to set up correctly. It's a three-dimensional problem to solve with only one bolt, then you need to do it again on the other side. Then twice again on the other wheel.

Cable housing type was mentioned, but poor routing and incorrect length can make a difference as well. The cable itself must be clean, too. Inspect for hidden fraying as well as corrosion.

I agree the bike should be able to skid stop, at least with both brakes applied.

They are in fact the post type pads, I went down the same paths you guys did, clean wheel, min..i slack in cable etc. I think I'm about 80% there on these, I can pull the bike up on end, with either front or rears applied, it will almost skid. They do not lock-up like the v-brakes on my other mechanical brake bikes. This will be an interesting one to get 100%
Old 06-21-20, 09:09 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by FREEBIRD1
They are in fact the post type pads, I went down the same paths you guys did, clean wheel, min..i slack in cable etc. I think I'm about 80% there on these, I can pull the bike up on end, with either front or rears applied, it will almost skid. They do not lock-up like the v-brakes on my other mechanical brake bikes. This will be an interesting one to get 100%
They're not V brakes and never will be, but will be more than adequate.
Old 06-21-20, 09:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
center pull brakes have their own special followers.. because the lever arm pulls up from the side opposite the pivot they are very high MA.
these are Expensive. Note the framebuilder brazed on the posts..

Old 06-21-20, 10:33 AM
FREEBIRD1

I got them up and working correctly, one of the springs was dislodged and it was not retracting properly. I'm getting a dead stop in 3-5 ft at 15 MPH, when I apply both brakes it sucks the bike down pretty quick. It's hot out and I have some new fat sticky tires on this cruiser, instead of skidding it's sticking in place. Took the bike on a 5 mile trip through the trail, the cushy cruiser combined with the little hub motor up front makes for a relaxed breezy ride in this heat.
Likes For FREEBIRD1:
Old 06-21-20, 10:16 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I can lock mine up. Canti's on a gravel bike and salmon pads. I've got enough rim clearance to break spokes too. No complaints unless I get in the mud.
Old 06-22-20, 03:20 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
It's driving me a little crazy: centerpulls and cantilevers are not the same thing! It seems like more than a few posters are mixing them up.

fietsbob's post has some (very high end) modern centerpulls with frame braze ons (which are different than cantilever/v-brake)
krecik's post has some cantilevers.

I haven't worked on them a ton, but common mafac racers etc with a single mounting bolt work really pretty well--better, generally, than contemporary single pivot brakes, which enviable tire clearance. From everything I've read the centerpulls with braze ons work especially well.

Glad you go them working well OP.
Old 06-22-20, 04:29 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by FREEBIRD1
I got them up and working correctly, one of the springs was dislodged and it was not retracting properly. I'm getting a dead stop in 3-5 ft at 15 MPH, when I apply both brakes it sucks the bike down pretty quick. It's hot out and I have some new fat sticky tires on this cruiser, instead of skidding it's sticking in place. Took the bike on a 5 mile trip through the trail, the cushy cruiser combined with the little hub motor up front makes for a relaxed breezy ride in this heat.

Glad you figured that out. I always want to know the brakes are operating as well as they can. Having to stop quickly is something that happens suddenly, and, should be expected to happen.