Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Personal bike shop

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Personal bike shop

Old 06-29-20, 11:55 AM
Bikeboystephen
Dog Dad

Bikes: 1995 Giant ATX 760, 1997 CAAD3 R800, 2017 Trek Marlin 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Personal bike shop

I looked at the "new posters look here" and I tried to search for this to no avail. I'm looking into trying to assemble my own bike shop in my garage or in my shed in my backyard, and I'm on the mechanics page because I would like to know what tools, stands and otherwise bike-related pieces others suggest I have. I'm not looking for an introductory toolset or things to keep in case of emergency, I'm looking for a full scale list of recommended assets to keep in my personal shop. What tools come in the most handy for others, what would they suggest I use to make repairs and restorations easier. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-29-20, 11:57 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Don't forget the really important stuff like shop posters, a small fridge, and a music system.
Old 06-29-20, 12:08 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
You want to buy a bunch of tools you don't know how to use? A Campy tool set is always a good place to start
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-29-20, 12:31 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
All you need is a bike and a place to put it that has enough room so you can move around it. Good bright lighting helps too. You might want a work stand, but I've gone well over 50 years without one. And at one time I was keeping my bike, my two kid's bikes and several neighborhood kid's bikes running. Not all stands can hold all types of bikes without risk of bike damage though. So there is one of many gotcha's in the world of buying for your future bike room.

Some tools are more specific to the brand and even the exact model of a component you have. So to buy them before you need them might be money wasted. I've got some tools I only used once to remove a component and had to use a different tool to install the new component I replaced it with. I've since found that bike shops many times will just let me bring the bike or wheel in and loosen it for me. Then I can bring it back later to tighten it. Many times for just the cost of good conversation. But YMMV.

A pedal wrench and a hand full of metric hex keys is all you need to get started. Many pedals need a wrench that is slightly thinner than most normal wrenches. Many pedals though also have a place for a hex key though. So maybe all you need are three or four specific size hex keys. And a philips and flat bladed screwdriver.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-29-20, 12:36 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
I've assembled bikes without work stands many years ago. Young and stupid. You should get a work stand and hex/torx wrenches.

However, the list expands depending on your definition of assemble.

Youtube is great place to get a good idea what you need. Just search install bottom bracket, headset, crankset, etc.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 06-29-20, 02:26 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,740 Times in 1,498 Posts
pack pcs10 work stand as a starter......

then you could get kits of all ranges

https://www.amazon.com/Bikehand-Bike...s%2C197&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/BIKEHAND-Comp...4-3e7a9c0027d0

to my when I win the lottery vote https://www.electriccyclery.com/shop...YaArHYEALw_wcB

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-29-20, 02:28 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
I agree with buying tools as you need them and as you acquire skills.

You'll want basic mechanics tools like a set of metric Allen keys, combination wrenches, adjustable wrench and screwdrivers. Cone wrenches in 13 and 15 mm will be needed soon. Pedal wrench also, though I have a very narrow adjustable that works fine most of the time.

DItto the comment about part-specific tools, especially for the bottom bracket. There are too many "standards."

If it's an option where you live, consider volunteering at a bike coop or non-profit shop. You can get hands on most tools and figure out what's worth buying.

I also worked on my own bike for well over 30 years before I acquired a bike stand (given to me by a neighbor who was upgrading). I've built wheels without a truing stand or dishing tool, making do with primitive substitutions. A talented mechanic can make some tools from pipe, angle iron, threaded rod, etc.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 06-29-20, 02:29 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
- Nice Allen wrench set
- Phillips and flathead screwdrivers
- Bike stand
- All other specialty tools as needed. Re-packing hubs? Get cone wrenches. Need to cut a chain? Get a chain tool. I personally don't see the logic in buying a tool you have no use for or don't even know what it is.
Likes For FastJake:
Old 06-29-20, 02:46 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Best I can remember, some bicycle-specific tools in order of procurement:
- wrench for threaded headsets
- Shimano-style freewheel puller
- crank puller
- spoke nipple key
- cone wrenches
- cassette lockring tool
- cable cutter
- outboard bearing bottom bracket tool
- torque wrench

Although I started with a decent stash of generic tools, Allen, Torx, socket wrenches etc etc.
One tool I regret not buying earlier is the pro grade pedal wrench. It would have been cheaper buying that one straight off instead of damaging several regular wrenches first.
Likes For dabac:
Old 06-29-20, 03:02 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Get a good cable cutter. I have never regretted the money I spent on my Felco cutter decades ago; it still works like new.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 06-29-20, 03:45 PM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
OP: Any bike of any era? Wheel building? Shimano components? Campy components? Are finances of any concern? The list could get quite long! I've never gotten beyond 9 speed of the Shimano flight deck/dual pivot/octalink era (circa 2000). There have been many "improvements" since then that often have special tools. I'd suggest looking at Park or Ebay or Amazon for a general tool kit and buy specialized tools as you need.
Old 06-29-20, 04:59 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 594 Posts
You'll never stop buying tools with all the odd sized parts and components bikes have. There's a different tool for every part. And some of those tools will only be used once or twice. Ask me how I know.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 06-29-20, 05:04 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ontribute.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-c-v-shop.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ns-photos.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...g-cabinet.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ial-tools.html
Likes For dedhed:
Old 06-29-20, 05:09 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 1,110 Posts
Bikeboystephen,
At some point you will see the need to get liability insurance. In today's world it is a must! I own a golf club repair business, and have worked as a professional mechanic in a high end bike shop. We had a test ride go bad one day when a girl went on a test ride with her purse slung over her shoulder. It slipped and caught in the front wheel causing a crash and a $1500 ride to the emergency room, stitches and some other bills from the docs. In my golf business only one head coming off and hitting another person will result in close to a $1 million claim. Get insurance first. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 06-29-20, 05:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Good point Mad Honk

However I hope by personal shop, he/she meant just their own personal bikes.

Though whether you do your own maintenance or none at all, it still makes sense for many to have an umbrella policy to act as a catch all if you have significant assets to protect from potential lawsuits. Ask your home insurance agent about them.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-29-20 at 05:19 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-29-20, 05:16 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
The first thing you should get is a good bike repair manual like Lennard Zinn's "Zinn and the Art of Road (or MTB) Bike Maintenance" or the Park Tool's "Blue Book" and read them cover to cover. They will familiarize you with the range of bike repair and maintenance procedures and the required tools. Then decide what types of bikes you want to work on and what level of complexity you want to tackle. At that point you can begin to assemble the needed tools.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 06-29-20, 05:30 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
A bench mounted vice, heavy duty. Also, two tools that are somewhat expensive and you could do without but if you have them you will use them are a Derailleur hanger alignment tool and a wheel truing stand.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 06-29-20, 05:35 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
All you need is a bike and a place to put it that has enough room so you can move around it. Good bright lighting helps too. You might want a work stand, but I've gone well over 50 years without one. And at one time I was keeping my bike, my two kid's bikes and several neighborhood kid's bikes running. Not all stands can hold all types of bikes without risk of bike damage though. So there is one of many gotcha's in the world of buying for your future bike room.

Some tools are more specific to the brand and even the exact model of a component you have. So to buy them before you need them might be money wasted. I've got some tools I only used once to remove a component and had to use a different tool to install the new component I replaced it with. I've since found that bike shops many times will just let me bring the bike or wheel in and loosen it for me. Then I can bring it back later to tighten it. Many times for just the cost of good conversation. But YMMV.

A pedal wrench and a hand full of metric hex keys is all you need to get started. Many pedals need a wrench that is slightly thinner than most normal wrenches. Many pedals though also have a place for a hex key though. So maybe all you need are three or four specific size hex keys. And a philips and flat bladed screwdriver.
You can live without a work stand, but it's not a happy life Makes a huge difference in convenience and enjoyment. I thought it was a bit of an extravagance when I bought a low-end Park stand ~~25 years ago, but I can't imagine trying to maintain bikes now without it
Old 06-29-20, 07:26 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
.....a Derailleur hanger alignment tool and a wheel truing stand.
If he is just getting started and doesn't know either bike repair or what tools to buy, these are WAY in the future.
Old 06-29-20, 08:14 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
If he is just getting started and doesn't know either bike repair or what tools to buy, these are WAY in the future.
I agree but read the OP
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 06-29-20, 08:19 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
I have a shop in my basement, but the mechanic is kind of a dork.
Old 06-29-20, 08:34 PM
funbuffalo24

Bikes: '09 Jamis Aurora elite, '01 Jamis Quest, '97 Trek Y3, '87 Bianchi Sport SX, '96 Bianchi San Remo

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
To start? High quality 4, 5, and 6mm hex/allen keys, a small In lb/nm torque wrench(very useful), a chain whip, 13-17mm cone wrenches, a bbt-9 bottom bracket tool, a crank puller and a decent set of cable cutters. With avid online shopping searches, you could score all in new or like new condition for under $50. Anything like metric sockets or an adjustable wrench you can utilize from your everyday toolchest for now.

Oh, and get some good grease! You can get a 4 oz tube of park tool polylube or any other urea base grease for under $10, a good calcium grease like Lubriplate 130-AA (10oz) for about $15, and a good lithium grease like Mobil SHC PM460 (14oz) also for about $15. I use all 3 for different applications, and those three tubes of grease would last you probably close to half a year, or way longer depending on how many bikes you're servicing.

Also as others have stressed, invest in a stand. Cringe once, enjoy the time & frustration savings well after the purchase; $40 or less for new off brand models.
Likes For funbuffalo24:
Old 06-29-20, 10:30 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
If you are asking the question for your own personal use, a set of allen wrenches. Everything bike related is metric. Get a cassette tool that fits your cassette, probably one big adjustable wrench. Go around your bike and see what parts it uses and get tools to work on those parts.

If you are looking to work on other people's bikes, fuhgeddaboudit. If you don't know what tools you need you aren't up to the task. I looked at a neighbor's bike last week and my hands got so dirty I swore I'd never touch another bike other than my own.
Likes For zacster:
Old 06-30-20, 12:48 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
+1 for everything everyone suggested.
I will add, a shop apron. Way more useful than you can imagine.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 06-30-20, 06:51 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
A bench mounted vice, heavy duty. Also, two tools that are somewhat expensive and you could do without but if you have them you will use them are a Derailleur hanger alignment tool and a wheel truing stand.
I've been dabbling for a while and built or flipped quite a few bikes and haven't found the need to purchase these as yet.
6-8 speed eyeball alignment is sufficient, on the few occasions on higher speed bikes I let the shop do it for $15 rather than buy the $75 tool. So far I'm still ahead.
You can true wheels just fine using zip ties. If I were building wheels that would be a different story.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.