Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

7 spd Grip shifters with SunTour XCM ?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-02-20, 06:35 PM
jacksbike

Bikes: Trek 7.5 Hybrid, Trek 1.1 Road, Holdsworth touring,Raleigh International,Ritchey Commando,Italvega Speciallissimo,et.al.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Hi folks,
I have a bike with SunTour 7 speed XCM derailleurs and triple crankset. Can I replace the existing shifters with a set of SRAM 7 speed Grip Shifters ? I know that there are different pull ratios using Grip Shifters with either a Shimano or SRAM rear derailleur, but I don't know if this will work. Open to any and all mechanical suggestions ! Thanks.
Old 07-02-20, 07:40 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
SRAM, Shimano, and Suntour 7 speed cassettes all have 5.0mm center to center gear spacing so it should work. Personally I would not go to twist grip shifters as in my experience they may work when new but soon they all work poorly and are much harder to maintain than other types of shifters. They typically only come on lower end bikes.

Just my opinion, but I fix up a lot of cheaper donated bikes for a couple local charities and I have seen many twist grip shifter thrown in the garbage.
Old 07-02-20, 07:55 PM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 141 Posts
No. The derailleur pull is different. Grip Shift had Sun Tour models 30 years ago but not anymore.
Old 07-02-20, 08:15 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
You need to check eBay and save a Suntour Gripshift search so if one comes up you can go after it. But one may never show up. Other option would be Suntour thumb shifters.

Or you can go to Shimano RD and Shimano compatible twist shifters “if” your freewheel/cassette has the same cog spacing as Shimano. I think the left front twist shifter is not indexed so it might work with your Suntour FD.

John
Old 07-02-20, 08:35 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeaddiction1
SRAM, Shimano, and Suntour 7 speed cassettes all have 5.0mm center to center gear spacing so it should work. Personally I would not go to twist grip shifters as in my experience they may work when new but soon they all work poorly and are much harder to maintain than other types of shifters. They typically only come on lower end bikes.

Just my opinion, but I fix up a lot of cheaper donated bikes for a couple local charities and I have seen many twist grip shifter thrown in the garbage.
I think your claim of 5mm c-c cog spacing for SunTour cog sets is not correct. Perhaps for the more current ST stuff that does mimic Shimano's lead. But the ST stuff from the 1990s had cog spacing that varied across the cog set. Andy
Old 07-02-20, 08:45 PM
bikeaddiction1

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I think your claim of 5mm c-c cog spacing for SunTour cog sets is not correct. Perhaps for the more current ST stuff that does mimic Shimano's lead. But the ST stuff from the 1990s had cog spacing that varied across the cog set. Andy
Sheldon says they are the same. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html
Old 07-02-20, 08:55 PM
Synack42

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
If you're just looking for a cheap solution and don't care about indexed shifting...go retro with friction shifters: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007QMJH86/

They're totally my go-to for any budget project. And because they're friction they basically will work with anything...
Old 07-02-20, 09:36 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by bikeaddiction1
This is news that thousands of riders will find hard to believe as they have lived with poor indexing with Shimano freewheels replacing their worn out SunTours. Sorry but shop experience proves this claim is not correct often . SunTour made many different versions of their freewheels with evolving indexing attempts over the years. Cog to cog spacing, tooth profiles, chain plate shaping, pulley wheel profiles all changed as ST tied to catch up to Shimano. ST's initial design on cable tension "steps" as opposed to pulley movement amounts is said by some to be their mistake. Andy
Old 07-02-20, 10:36 PM
bikeaddiction1

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
This is news that thousands of riders will find hard to believe as they have lived with poor indexing with Shimano freewheels replacing their worn out SunTours. Sorry but shop experience proves this claim is not correct often . SunTour made many different versions of their freewheels with evolving indexing attempts over the years. Cog to cog spacing, tooth profiles, chain plate shaping, pulley wheel profiles all changed as ST tied to catch up to Shimano. ST's initial design on cable tension "steps" as opposed to pulley movement amounts is said by some to be their mistake. Andy
Good to know, thanks.
Old 07-04-20, 03:49 PM
jacksbike

Bikes: Trek 7.5 Hybrid, Trek 1.1 Road, Holdsworth touring,Raleigh International,Ritchey Commando,Italvega Speciallissimo,et.al.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks to all who replied. I figured that it would be a problem because I have had previous problems with SRAM grip shifters not working with Shimano rear derailleurs ( pull ratios). I am fully aware that Suntour made very many different freewheels with different spacing. I know that I can use friction thumb shifters but I would rather use indexed. Most likely the solution is to use 7 speed grip shifters and change to Shimano indexed rear derailleur, front derailleur and , most importantly, shimano indexed and correctly spaced freewheel. I do not believe, in this case, that I would have to change the SunTour XCM triple chainwheel set, but I am open to opinions on that also.
Old 07-04-20, 04:55 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Re front set up- If you use a "micro index" GripShift unit it will work with pretty much any ft der and crankset as it isn't indexed. Much like Campy Ergo front shifters.

Grip Shift makes Shimano compatible rear shifters too. Under the MRX name.

There's a lot of miss information and confusion out there concerning cog spacing and shifter/der/spacing/cable pull ratios stuff. Andy
Old 07-11-20, 05:22 PM
FelixScout
Rider who can know more

Bikes: 1995 Trek 850 Mountain Track turned trail and road bike, 1989 Centurion Le Mans RS, 1993 Bianchi Advantage. Dead: 1982 Schwinn Traveler

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Do you have a source for "micro index" grip shifts? I keep finding microShift stuff instead unless that is what you meant?
Old 07-11-20, 05:44 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Micro index is a non-index shifter. It just has ratchets/clicks as you turn the shifters. For a number of people the little ratchets, micro adjust, make it easier to shift.

You just need to find a non-index left shifter that has micro index/adjust. I think most left Gripshift front shifters are micro index.

John