Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Any problem with using road caliper brake pads in V-brakes?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-20, 06:45 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts

I’ve had great performance from SwissStop green V-brake pads on my tandem bikes, but those pads are no longer available. SwissStop has replaced that green pad compound with a blue GXP compound, but it is only available in road bike format. Is there any problem with fitting road bike pad holders and pads in a V-brake? Seems like the mounting slots are similar. The pads for V-brakes are longer and curved, but I don’t see why that matters much. The V-brake mounting hardware allows toe-in adjustment, but that becomes moot after some wear anyway. Anything I’m missing?

Also, my Shimano road caliper pad holders have a shark fin protrusion with a screw in it coming off the bottom of the holder below the pad. Anyone know what that’s for? Thanks.

Old 07-05-20, 09:55 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 362 Posts
There might not be enough thread, and it might not fit the mounting hole. V-brake pads take a long threaded post and road brakes use a short one. Check if KoolStop has something similar. I've used both brands with good results. I put BXP pads on my road bike recently.

I guess for a tandem you need all the stopping power you can get.
Old 07-06-20, 12:49 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by reburns
Also, my Shimano road caliper pad holders have a shark fin protrusion with a screw in it coming off the bottom of the holder below the pad. Anyone know what that’s for? Thanks.
The "shark fin" you ask about is a tire guide to direct the tire between the brake pads when mounting the wheel. It is not necessary, but does save some fiddling.