Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why should tire labels line up with valves?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why should tire labels line up with valves?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-08, 01:36 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by sleazy
having changed hundreds of motorcycle tires...

Dunlop, Michelin, et al always put a mark- (a yellow circle, orange dot, something) on the sidwall of the tire.

this mark should always be put near the valve stem area.

the reason is- the mark is directly opposite the side where the carcase/belts overlap... marking the lightest part of the tire. because you are putting the stem across from the heaviest part of the tire, you are reducing the amount of weight you need to balance the wheel system.

maybe this whole bicycle tire label thing is a ******* myth from the above truth.

Unfortunately with bicycle wheels the heaviest part of the rim/tire assembly is the weld....not the valve. The weld is opposite the valve hole. You would....in theory....need to place the heaviest part of the tire over the valve in order to help balance out the "heavier" weld seam side of the rim.

BTW - balancing discussion really don't have much of a place with reference to bicycles.....coming from a man who manufactures finely balanced inertial engine components daily....

Old 06-11-08, 01:41 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by Pedaleur
I will agree to attention to detail, but it says nothing (directly) of the quality of work.

The quality of work stands on its own.
Interesting point. You seem more of an Engineer's engineer instead of the people's engineer.

Let me illustrate why I believe the two are the same.

I am the customer. My sepcification includes the details. If you miss the details then the quality of your work is poor/below my specification.

An acedemic exercise at best, but I think you probably understand what I am saying.

Put another way it would be like saying I went to a fine dining establishment and the food was amazing, but the dishes were dirty and the flatware was incorrectly set. I have to then wonder about the true quality of the food...regardless of its taste. For all I know that was actually the best tasting dog steak I ever had.

Same with mechanics.

Old 06-11-08, 01:52 PM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Interesting point. You seem more of an Engineer's engineer instead of the people's engineer.

Let me illustrate why I believe the two are the same.

I am the customer. My sepcification includes the details. If you miss the details then the quality of your work is poor/below my specification.

An acedemic exercise at best, but I think you probably understand what I am saying.

Put another way it would be like saying I went to a fine dining establishment and the food was amazing, but the dishes were dirty and the flatware was incorrectly set. I have to then wonder about the true quality of the food...regardless of its taste. For all I know that was actually the best tasting dog steak I ever had.

Same with mechanics.
Yeah, I get it. But I'll give a counter example: I built some wheel myself. I didn't get the label lined up correctly because I mis-calculated the offset and I wasn't going to go and re-lace the damn thing. Now, I know that there is no effect on the quality of the build (which may or may not be good), but if I tried to sell the wheel as "hand-built", then the label screams of inexperience, which is (usually) correlated to quality.

PS. The best restaurants are the ones with the most health code citations. (A joke, of course, but the best bakery in town nearly got closed down a couple months ago. Coincidence?)

PPS. I sent you an PM about your hand-built wheels.
Old 06-11-08, 02:01 PM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shuffles
You just didn't read quite far enough. Just two paragraphs later he explains what he has repeated now in this thread about finding the issue in the tire.
But what does it have to do with the alignment of the label on the hub? The _only_ thing that matters is the installation of the tube. Everything else is irrelevant to locating the stone/glass/whatever. And the tube orientation merely cuts the places to look in half. Hardly a huge time saver when changing a flat (but I'll admit it is a nice party trick).

I "get" the pride in workmanship. I understand OCP. I see what is going on with all the alignment gimmicks. But Psimet is right -- I'm an engineer who can do Laplace transforms and loves his HP calculator -- I see no _objective_ reason for it all.

Perhaps I'm just overcompensating for my wheel-building shame...
Old 06-11-08, 02:23 PM
Spreggy
King of the Plukers

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Anyone have tricks for knowing which way a tube was installed in a tire taking the 50/50 guesswork out of lining up tube hole to a potential item in tire.
Careful handing on removal is often not enough, especially with an impatient roadside 'helper' crew.

Al
Yes, AND it provides a reason for keeping the stem nuts on. When you flat, take the wheel off and go once around it with eye balls and hand to find the offender. If not found, pop off one of the wheel beads, and slip the tube out without taking the stem out (leave nut on to hold it in place). Pump a few pounds into it and find the leak in the tube, and once located, find the source in the tire right next to where the leak is. Fast, easy.
Old 06-11-08, 02:42 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by Spreggy
Yes, AND it provides a reason for keeping the stem nuts on. When you flat, take the wheel off and go once around it with eye balls and hand to find the offender. If not found, pop off one of the wheel beads, and slip the tube out without taking the stem out (leave nut on to hold it in place). Pump a few pounds into it and find the leak in the tube, and once located, find the source in the tire right next to where the leak is. Fast, easy.
Thanks that makes sense. Basically keep the tube attached to the rim until the culprit has been found. I'll try that next time.
Al
Old 06-11-08, 10:16 PM
green814
Sneaky Fast....

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Epic Expert, 2005 Giant TCR C3, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2Comp, 1986 Raleigh Capri 10spd, 1982 KHS Turbo 12spd, Wife's: 2010 Specialized Safire Comp Komen, 2007 Specialized Dolce Elite, 2005 Giant OCR3, 2000 Trek 6000 WSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
..and yes, poor orientation says a lot about one's attention to detail/quality of their work.
I hadn't read the "Tip Of The Day" before I mounted my tires, but what does it mean if the tire label was centered on the Bontrager sticker on the wheels? https://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/IMG_0040.jpg

I did make sure I put the tube in correct though according to the directional arrow. Don't want the tube to blow out due to being mounted backwards!

Chris
Old 06-11-08, 10:34 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by waterrockets
...actually, with aluminum rims, the rim seam is heavier than the valve stem with the valve stem holes cut through the rim. If you lift the front off the ground, the wheel will reach equilibrium with the valve stem on top. So, leave the label at the valve stem
Correct, which is why I always put my wheel magnet on one of the valve's neighboring spokes
Old 06-12-08, 12:19 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Newbie (who I drag out in the mornings to ride in to work with me) got a new set of tires while I was on vacation. I was gleefully looking forward to scoffing his fred-ness when the labels were not lined up with the valve.

He didn't disappoint.

His next two questions were: Why should I do that? And; What's a fred?

Sheesh. Fred.

It took a while to explain, but he'll be fixing that tonight, so he claims.
Old 06-12-08, 12:23 PM
cocoasprinkles
Flatlander

Bikes: 94 Raleigh SP 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why does you belt buckle line up with the zipper seam? Cause it look good.
Old 10-15-08, 04:39 PM
teiaperigosa
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Surferbruce
actually for the hardest of core OCP- offset the valves from the labels just enough so in pics... the valve stems line up out of sight behind the fork/stays and the labels are prominently displayed (on the drive side obviously)

Old 10-15-08, 04:41 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by teiaperigosa
Yeah. Totally worth digging up a thread for.
Old 10-15-08, 05:35 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Back when I fixed truck flats, a standard piece of equipment was a piece of tire chalk, used to mark the valve stem location on the tire so you could find the offending object in the tire.
Old 10-15-08, 05:37 PM
KiddSisko
Has coddling tendencies.

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
but if you want the wheel to roll smoothly, you need the label 180 degrees from the valve so the weight offsets.
I made that mistake once. Once was enough.
Old 10-15-08, 05:40 PM
KiddSisko
Has coddling tendencies.

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by green814
I did make sure I put the tube in correct though according to the directional arrow. Don't want the tube to blow out due to being mounted backwards!

Chris
I made a face when I read that. You'd have approved.
Old 10-15-08, 05:40 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Find the hole. Use the valve as a point of reference. Search the tire casing in the proper location (using it's label - which was aligned with the valve as a reference). Remove debris or verify that the debris is no longer embedded in the tire. Inspect the tire casing for damage. Boot if necessary (use a $1 bill if you have no other suitable booting material.

Proper orientation speeds up this process.

...and yes, poor orientation says a lot about one's attention to detail/quality of their work.
+1000

And this is the correct answer on all counts.

/thread

Last edited by Bob Dopolina; 10-15-08 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-16-08, 07:07 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1262 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 717 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
wow - i've been cycling since 1984 and never heard of this valve stem/tire label alignment theory.
Don't feel so bad; I've been cycling since 1967 and only learned about the valve stem/tire label alignment theory in 2006.

Then again, if there'd been one of these here interweb things in 1967, I suppose I'd have learnt sooner...
Old 10-16-08, 07:22 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

poor orientation says a lot about one's attention to detail/quality of their work.

I wonder if you (or anyone else) would extend this concept to include the Rotation Direction indicators that some manufacturers put on their tires? Especially considering that those same manufacturers (eg, Conti) admit that there is no performance benefit, or demonstrable difference, to orienting the tire one way or the other.
Old 10-16-08, 09:40 AM
BananaTugger
CPM M4

Bikes: Light.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DDYTDY
And for the really OCD you should be able to read the hub brand through the valve stem hole.
Pretty much.

Old 10-16-08, 11:05 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
I wonder if you (or anyone else) would extend this concept to include the Rotation Direction indicators that some manufacturers put on their tires? Especially considering that those same manufacturers (eg, Conti) admit that there is no performance benefit, or demonstrable difference, to orienting the tire one way or the other.
Interesting. Normally yes.

I recently ran into this with some Michelin Mud2 tires for cross. They have directional arrows that require one to mount the tire on the rear in such a way that the label no longer lines up on the drive side. *shiver*....

Old 10-16-08, 11:05 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by BananaTugger
Pretty much.

Nice. I have a few shots like that on my computer at home.

Old 10-16-08, 03:21 PM
steve_wmn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice. I have a few shots like that on my computer at home.
I have a few shots like ******.cx on my computer at home. Same thing really.

I've been riding road bikes since 1976 or so and first heard about the label/valve stem thing in 2005 or so. I immediately shrugged it off as OCP bull**** and haven't read anything that'd change my mind. When I get a flat I inspect the outside of the tire, pull out the old tube, run my thumb around the inside of the tire if I didn't find anything on the outside, put the new tube in and go on my way. Localizing the puncture seems like a waste of time since I'll inevitably check the entire inside wall if the puncture had no obvious source from the outside.

I swear, some of you folks paint your garage doors white just to have the proper backdrop for a BF.net picture.
Old 10-16-08, 03:34 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Originally Posted by steve_wmn
Localizing the puncture seems like a waste of time since I'll inevitably check the entire inside wall if the puncture had no obvious source from the outside.
Wait, so you're saying it's a waste of time, because you're still going to waste your time doing the very thing that this waste of time is designed to eliminate?
Old 10-16-08, 04:19 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by steve_wmn
I have a few shots like ******.cx on my computer at home. Same thing really.

I've been riding road bikes since 1976 or so and first heard about the label/valve stem thing in 2005 or so. I immediately shrugged it off as OCP bull**** and haven't read anything that'd change my mind. When I get a flat I inspect the outside of the tire, pull out the old tube, run my thumb around the inside of the tire if I didn't find anything on the outside, put the new tube in and go on my way. Localizing the puncture seems like a waste of time since I'll inevitably check the entire inside wall if the puncture had no obvious source from the outside.

I swear, some of you folks paint your garage doors white just to have the proper backdrop for a BF.net picture.
Why do you hate doing a good job?

Old 10-16-08, 05:16 PM
green814
Sneaky Fast....

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Epic Expert, 2005 Giant TCR C3, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2Comp, 1986 Raleigh Capri 10spd, 1982 KHS Turbo 12spd, Wife's: 2010 Specialized Safire Comp Komen, 2007 Specialized Dolce Elite, 2005 Giant OCR3, 2000 Trek 6000 WSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KiddSisko
I made a face when I read that. You'd have approved.
You would have loved the look on my cousin's face when he told me he couldn't find the arrows on his mtb tube when he was trying to figure out why he kept getting a flat. I just started laughing!!!!! His look was priceless! I had mentioned that maybe the tubes were in wrong, check the direction arrows,and that was maybe why he kept getting flats .

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.