Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Camera recommendations

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Camera recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-18, 08:07 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
other functions of the Polaroid I like is burst mode (10 frames pr second w the push of the still image button) still experimenting with this. helpful when you try to capture an exact moment but not sure when to press the button. you kinda ballpark it, then hope you get the frame you were looking for

& time lapse. you set the setting with your computer then start it using the still image button (I usually use 1 pic every 5 or 10 seconds when I am inspecting my gutters)

here it is mounted on my roof rake pole w a light for when the ambient light is fading

time lapse is also fun from a kite. it's kinda heavy for hanging from a kite, but it you get a strong wind at the beach, it gets airborne

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-01-18 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-01-18, 08:11 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
That's very cool, and good shock resistance, I imagine.
Old 03-01-18, 09:24 AM
Caddywumpus

Bikes: Scott Team Cyclocross, GT Transeo 3.0, 80's Bianchi Classica, Motobecane Jubilee 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got a SJCAM M20 for Christmas. So I'm still learning how to use all of the options. Right now we are essentially a one income family so I completely relate to your spending limit. I knew that if I was going to get an action camera. I needed to beg for the one with the most options per $. I narrowed it down to this one based on several factors... 1) It came with a plethora of camera mounts that also work with goPro mounts including a waterproof case. 2) It has built in digital image stabilization and motion sensor. 3) It can shoot 4k video (mpv 7 mov) and 16mp stills (jpg and raw). 4) It is super small. 5)It has built in wifi. 6.) It has an adjustable field of view, and digital anti-fisheye correction 7.) The phone app that works with it got higher than 3 stars (check this because almost all of the goPro knock off cameras have 2stars or less. The SJCAM app allow me to connect to it via wifi with my phone and use my phone as a display monitor and a remote.

I've been taking morning commute photos and posting them for a few years now. I've just started taking photos with my SJCAM recently.. and mainly use it for still's only. For me its been a huge learning curve.. that is learning the best angles to use takes advantage of the fisheye type lens. Currently I am completely satisfied that I have the most options for the least out of pocket expense.

I'm new and don't have enough posts for them to allow me to past a link so here's the address of my instagram account.. check out the photos i've taken so far with the camera. www.instagram.com/savannahbikecommuter/?hl=en

Here is the address for the camera on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Original-SJCAM...1&keywords=M20

Last edited by Caddywumpus; 03-01-18 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-01-18, 09:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by mcours2006
That's very cool, and good shock resistance, I imagine.
the kite? yeah until it comes down. can be tricky in gusty wind. rigging it was a fun challenge. needless to say zip ties & tape were involved. I also rigged a zip line cam situation at a family party. got a little dicey over the fire pit, but it survived
Old 03-01-18, 09:54 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Caddywumpus
I got a SJCAM M20 for Christmas
whoa! gonna check that one out!
Old 03-16-18, 08:31 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
the iON Camera 5007 Mount Pack includes these items. I bought it for the circled items only

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FWIW - got my new quick release helmet mount, mounted. only had white zip ties the right size. was getting ready for the last blizzard when I installed it, so the helmet cover ... looking forward to this mount because 1) it's lower & 2) provides the quick release I like so much for occasional hand holding. same easy in, easy out as the OEM Polaroid QR mount. I'm sure I will still feel ridiculous w the stupid thing on my head
Old 03-16-18, 12:24 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
FWIW - got my new quick release helmet mount, mounted. only had white zip ties the right size. was getting ready for the last blizzard when I installed it, so the helmet cover ... looking forward to this mount because 1) it's lower & 2) provides the quick release I like so much for occasional hand holding. same easy in, easy out as the OEM Polaroid QR mount. I'm sure I will still feel ridiculous w the stupid thing on my head
I bought a Polaroid XS100 new in box from ebay with the 20% off deal and used it for the first time yesterday. It comes with that same mount that you have pictured. I experimented with mounting the cam on my helmet, either top or off to the side with the straight and 90 degree mounts, but decided to just mount it on my bar for now (my wife kept joking about how I looked like I was equipping a head-mounted laser). Video quality was pretty good, unfortunately not good enough to capture the license plate of a car going straight through a greenway intersection by my house where cars must turn. For $60 I'm satisfied.

consider the file format the camera creates. for example mine saves ".mov" files so I can use my windows laptop to view them but I can't hear the sound & I can't edit them. for those things I need my MAC
I've found that you can hear .mov audio by using the free VLC media player on PC/Linux.
Old 03-16-18, 02:00 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by surak
quality was pretty good, unfortunately not good enough to capture the license plate & you can hear .mov audio by using the free VLC media player on PC/Linux.
I agree. I think I use 1080 at 30fps. was thinking of trying lower res but higher frame rate to see if that had any impact on still image quality. some kids squirted me w water pistols a few years ago & I extracted some frames which helped I.D. the car & the hands w toys out their windows but only showed a "resemblance" of the plate. one could use the image to combine w other evidence to I.D. the operator but it wasn't conclusive. I have the still frame on the forum somewhere ...

thanks for the application info, but I really just want to get a MAC laptop! ;-)

I really like the videos I get from the helmet perspective because you can turn your head, etc. but on smooth roads I prefer the bars, like you

let me know if you have any questions about the cam. here's a tip: don't delete still images from the card. leave the card untouched until sort of full, then either reformat it or store it & start a new card. I have found that when I start deleting images (to make more room on the card) the camera starts acting up, needing to be reset after every clip (meaning sticking paper clip in "reset hole") I now use only 8gig cards so I can start new cards more often. it makes searching for clips & pics faster than on a giant card. another thing I do is start the cam, let it record for a while, then after some event like a road crossing or a stop, or anything really, I stop it & restart it within a cpl seconds. this way I don't have to scroll thru one long clip to see something in particular. I just have to skip from clip to clip to find it. anyway I can go on & on about using it, just ping me any way you want w/ a question ... have fun with it, it's pretty darn versatile!

FOUND IT - see post #48 in this thread

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...-driver-2.html

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-16-18 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-24-18, 04:31 PM
rumrunn6

you can hear .mov audio by using the free VLC media player on PC/Linux.
hey wound up downloading it to preview what I took today. so THANK YOU. it will help decide what to share. def. have a new buz. I think I broke the internal mic loose so that it rattles & records a buz. wonder if I can take it apart to glue it back in place
Old 03-25-18, 11:02 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
hey wound up downloading it to preview what I took today. so THANK YOU. it will help decide what to share. def. have a new buz. I think I broke the internal mic loose so that it rattles & records a buz. wonder if I can take it apart to glue it back in place
You're welcome, glad to help. One thing I haven't figured out is whether VLC or some other player can step through video frames. Cars keep going through the turn-only intersection by my house every time I cross, kind of think I can barely make out license plate letters except can't control the playing fine-grained enough. Would switching from video to stills make for clearer pictures? I usually hit the light when I get there so I would have time to change recording mode.
Old 03-26-18, 07:19 AM
rumrunn6

You're welcome, glad to help. One thing I haven't figured out is whether VLC or some other player can step through video frames. Cars keep going through the turn-only intersection by my house every time I cross, kind of think I can barely make out license plate letters except can't control the playing fine-grained enough. Would switching from video to stills make for clearer pictures? I usually hit the light when I get there so I would have time to change recording mode.
I have wondered that myself. but I haven't done a scientific test. yes, it is easy to switch recording mode even while riding. I do that all the time. to record video & turn it on you slide the slide switch forward. to stop video you slide the same switch backward. the camera stays "on" for a period of time. while it's on & not recording video I can press the photo button to take a still photo. you have to wait a short while before taking another. there are other photo settings which you need the computer for. I usually leave set to take a single photo but I also like the burst setting where it takes 10 frames within 1 second. I suppose we can test it by staying put in one place behind a stationary car & trying video vs stills at varying distances. this doesn't include the movement factor while cycling or when a car is passing, which could be significant. now I want to this testing.

about stepping thru frames I think the quicktime player can do that with .mov files
Old 03-29-18, 07:07 AM
mcours2006

Recently I got a second camera for the rear. Pretty simple with a mount I already had. The camera is upside down, but it has auto rotation, so it works pretty well.

IMG_0276.jpg

I am still not trusting the mounting holes on the bottom of the camera to hold, so I've got some elastic bands holding it in place just in case the mount fails.
Old 03-29-18, 08:31 AM
rumrunn6

got a second camera
Old 03-29-18, 12:13 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
On VLC, pause then use the E key to single step. Look in the help and menus, there are a lot of controls.
Old 03-29-18, 12:43 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
On VLC, pause then use the E key to single step. Look in the help and menus, there are a lot of controls.
thanks!
Old 03-29-18, 01:15 PM
rumrunn6

still not trusting the mounting holes
just watched 2 youtube videos w DIY fixes. both are pretty crude, bulky & ugly

I think the easiest solution would be to glue one of these in place

Old 03-29-18, 02:45 PM
mcours2006

just watched 2 youtube videos w DIY fixes. both are pretty crude, bulky & ugly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVTEEpgyRw8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue1Wb-BTJEg

That's a lot of work for the first one. And that second one just looks awful.
Old 03-29-18, 02:47 PM
mcours2006

That still doesn't work if it has to be screwed onto the camera's mounting hole.
Old 03-29-18, 06:08 PM
rumrunn6

That still doesn't work if it has to be screwed onto the camera's mounting hole.
stuff the hole in the camera w glue then screw this in. your screw hole works you just don't trust it. so instead of a cord or rubber band, you use glue. no?
Old 03-29-18, 06:54 PM
mcours2006

stuff the hole in the camera w glue then screw this in. your screw hole works you just don't trust it. so instead of a cord or rubber band, you use glue. no?
Yeah, I thought about doing that too. I'm going to wait until the warranty expires before doing that...just in case.
Old 03-30-18, 03:29 AM
rumrunn6

Yeah, I thought about doing that too. I'm going to wait until the warranty expires before doing that...just in case.
maybe you can get it replaced now under warranty for the stripped screw hole?
Old 03-30-18, 04:32 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Pros on gopro style cameras

1) convenient form factor
2) first in class accessories

Cons
Not good for handheld photography/video
Old 03-30-18, 05:32 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
My absolute minimum requirements are: 3+ hour battery life, loop recording, and able to turn it on with at most two button/switch presses with gloves on.
this is what I use:

Garmin Virb Ultra 30 .... connected to a small powerbank that sits in a top tube bag .... get the remote control switch that mounts on your handlebar. Get a 128 GB Micro SD card and you can record in HD for 17 hours before it starts looping (thats what I've been told, but not 100% sur of the 17 hours).. you also need the other cage ( VIRB Ultra Cage) so as to connect to the powerbank

plus:

when it rains, you cannot connect to the powerbank, as you need to use the waterproof cage (which comes supplied with the camera when you purchase it)

(on the back, I use the Cyclique Fly 6 camera (6 hours battery life, but the newest version can connect to a powerbank)

I use Sony Vegas Pro software to combine the fly 6 and Garmin Virb videos

I also use the K-Edge Garmin Go Pro Mount (my Garmin Edge 1000 ontop, and below, the Garmmin Camera:

Last edited by dim; 03-30-18 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-30-18, 07:00 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
your screw hole works you just don't trust it.
That's what she said.

Also you're right. The screw hole can be made tighter (I'm dying here...dying!!! ) with either glue or a matchstick. Cut a matchstick in half longways so it's a thin strip of wood, put it along the threads and tighten the screw and it'll add enough resistance that it'll be nice and tight. You may have to go thinner than half a match width, but you get the idea.

I use this trick on loose screws all the time. Never did it on a bike, but it's been holding a door hinge on my bedroom door for 12 years now.
Old 03-30-18, 07:16 AM
mcours2006

maybe you can get it replaced now under warranty for the stripped screw hole?
Yeah, right! I could use the recent receipt and the older camera...nah. I thought about returning it when the thread stripped last June, but after mounting it on the helmet with the zip ties I thought it worked pretty good, and the quality of the footage was good, and the battery was decent, and the price was good. So I decided not to. It's been working fine for almost a year now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.