Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A de-zombied thread about bike racks

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A de-zombied thread about bike racks

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-22, 06:50 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Keep in mind that the tongue weight allowable on a particular receiver is considering that there is a trailer behind preventing it from increasing much over bumps. With a bike rack, the weight is simply hanging there, and the rack acts as a lever multiplying the weight as it bounces over bumps. You are simply trying to do something that is beyond what you car and any associated receiver is built to handle. Yes, you can buy a rack for a 2 inch receiver, and use an adapter, but you will not be increasing its load capacity, in fact you will be lowering it slightly since the tongue weight is cut in half when using an adapter. So a normal 2 bike rack would work, but not a 4 bike rack.

The only reason I would use an adapter for a bike rack is if I already owned a rack made for a 2 inch receiver, and it was a 2 bike rack with normal weight bikes. I would also be very apt to simply buy a different rack. There is no way I would use a 4 bike rack on a 1 1/4 inch receiver, ever.

Good luck.
Old 10-19-22, 07:24 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
We have a U-Haul 1 1/4 hitch receiver on our Mazda5 and regularly haul my wife's e-assist Trek (40 pounds without battery) and my Bacchetta recumbent (about 30 pounds with seat off). Forgot the battery key last weekend and drove home from a ride with the 5 pound battery on the bike. No problem - but rack is a Two Timer and will never have a third or fourth bike on it. I do always use a support strap from top of rear hatch to rack.
Old 10-19-22, 08:10 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I'm not buying an adapter, someone else brought that up. A significant part of the reason I want 2" is to make it more stable and that would be defeated by an adapter.
I really like the 2" hitch for the Prius. I have to decide if it's worth 3x the money though.
Old 10-20-22, 08:00 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I had 4 bikes on a hitch rack on a previous prius and it really wasn't a problem. Except I was driving into a major headwind with 4 adults in the car, that was less than ideal
I think it's unlikely we would have more than 2 on a regular basis though
Ditto to all the above on our old 2006 Prius. Mileage dropped by almost a half with four adults and four bikes into a headwind, but that was only once. One or two bikes was never a problem. That hitch bolted on to the frame where the tie-downs had been.
Old 10-20-22, 08:37 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Your original post is the solution you do not like. Get an after market 2” solution from a reputable company and have it installed on the car of your choice or both. RacknRoad https://racknroad.com/trailer-hitches/ is a company I have used for roof rack solutions but also offer custom trailer hitch solutions installed in store. I find racks and attaching arms or hitches annoyingly expensive. And in general, it is a solution for that specific make and model year car and has to be repeated for each new car.

My current rack solution was to include as a factory installed option a 2” trailer hitch to a car I custom ordered from the factory and purchased a lighter weight Kuat rack. It is a very clean safe solution that holds two bikes. And Kuat has a lot of options for racks. I financed the hitch and rack with a small initial public offering. Good luck.
Old 10-20-22, 09:12 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Is a custom hitch a common thing? So far everyone that does it has been on the west coast, so somewhat problematic to get it done on our car.

It does stink that we have to do it for each car. Hopefully both cars will be around for a while.

Last edited by unterhausen; 10-20-22 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-20-22, 09:57 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I think customization question is a function of the size of the market. Silicon Valley, LA, Orange County and San Diego are very large cycling markets with a lot of cyclists. When I go to Fiesta Island to ride, I see a lot of cyclists with cars that have hitches and bike racks of all different solutions including bikes in pickups.
Old 10-20-22, 11:18 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Is a custom hitch a common thing? So far everyone that does it has been on the west coast, so somewhat problematic to get it done on our car.

It does stink that we have to do it for each car. Hopefully both cars will be around for a while.
Conceivably, you could take the hitch off and sell it when you sell or trade the car, or mention that it's there to hopefully pad the selling price by a bit. Depends of course on how badly the winter salt rusts it. And how much of a pain it is to remove it, store it, list it for sale, etc. And yeah, hitches are pretty much custom designed for each car model. Your Camry for example won't use the same hitch as, say a Honda Accord or probably not even a Corolla.

Last edited by Reflector Guy; 10-20-22 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-20-22, 01:30 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I have put hitches on my cars in the past, it's really nice they come with everything fit to the car. They are mass produced for that single model car. I'm talking truly one-off custom here though, I posted a link to a place in Seattle that will do that and so did Hermes.
I think I posted up-thread my thought of getting the 1 1/4" that fits the Camry and having it modified for 2"
Old 10-20-22, 01:37 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
A few experiences that might be of help to someone:

The U-Haul dealer refused to install a hitch on my 2010 Prius.
I installed a Curt brand 1¼ hitch myself. Not hard, didn't take long. Saved some money.
I have a 1Up Quick Rack single. The 2" model is just the 1¼ model with an "L" shaped spacer. Rated 1 bike + 2 optional extenders, 50#/bike, 150# total
The U-Haul dealer was happy to rent me a trailer to tow with my Prius and self-installed hitch.
But usually:

Last edited by tcs; 10-20-22 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-20-22, 02:13 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Ride ------------------------------------------------> there.

Old 10-20-22, 02:44 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
I have put hitches on my cars in the past, it's really nice they come with everything fit to the car. They are mass produced for that single model car. I'm talking truly one-off custom here though, I posted a link to a place in Seattle that will do that and so did Hermes.
I think I posted up-thread my thought of getting the 1 1/4" that fits the Camry and having it modified for 2"
You're a bike builder/welder right? Do you have the stuff to cut off the box for a 1.25" receiver and weld on the box for the 2" receiver (assuming you could find/fabricate such a box)?
Old 10-20-22, 02:56 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I can cut off the 1 1/4" cleanly, but I would have to take it to a welder to have a new one welded on. The capacity of my torches is just big enough for bikes, I don't think I could weld 1/4" wall. I have had enough trouble with 1/8" wall square tubing. The heat just runs away from the joint.
Although I have brazed 1/4" wall square tubing. But that was a pain.
Old 10-21-22, 06:13 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 84 Posts
I had 4 bikes on a hitch rack on a previous prius and it really wasn't a problem. Except I was driving into a major headwind with 4 adults in the car, that was less than ideal
I think it's unlikely we would have more than 2 on a regular basis though
I was there, but I remember nothing.