Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

20" Folding bikes for 300lbs, also older models? Non electric

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-23, 01:32 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts

I thinking of getting a folding bike for the occasional use. But the bike needs to support around 300lbs. And NO ebike. Just a 5-9 speed pedal bike. Looks like both the Dahon HIT and Zizzo Forte would fit that bill.
I have seen mixed reviews on both but not really long time reviews. Especially no reviews from tall and heavy riders. I am 6'3" and close to 300lb. Any preference which one is better? People seem to complain about the low end drive train components on the Zizzo Forte. But I have not seen any reviews on the Dahon branded drive train components on the Dahon HIT.
There is also Bike Friday Diamond Llama but this is out of the price range I want to spend.

Also I don't really want to buy a new bike. Does anyone know of any other older folding bikes which can support up to 300 lbs? Most of the folding bikes max out at around 220-240 lbs. I don't mind buying a fixer upper if it supports the heavier weight.

Thanks
Old 04-11-23, 08:35 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 89 Posts
As someone about your size, I can vouch for the old Raleigh Twentys being able to handle 300#. However, they're only 3-speeds, unless you're willing to do some modifications. However, you'd be surprised at how far 3 speeds will get you.
Likes For arex:
Old 04-12-23, 05:13 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
You can customize a Raleigh Twenty to your heart's content. The biggest headache is the very wide bottom bracket, but once that is sorted (if one chooses to do so) stick a nice IGH in there and have fun. I have two R20s, one is largely restored (but becoming more and more custom slowly), the other is completely custom. It's got a set of new production Sturmey drum brake hubs; dynamo in the front, 3 speed in the rear. these days I'm wishing I went with the 5 speed, but I got the 3 speed hub super cheap. I swapped out the original Raleigh crankset for a Williams cottered unit, with the forward compatibility of using a newer 3/32 chainring if I choose to switch things up.
Anyway, the Raleigh Twenty (or any of the old identical TI derivatives) are extremely sturdy and worth it to find one to really deck out as your own.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 04-12-23, 02:19 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Thanks everyone. I keep an eye out for one these. What would be the "TI derivatives"? I am not that familiar with Legacy US brands. Thx
Old 04-12-23, 05:47 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
TI was Tube Investments, who owned many different British (and the commonwealth) bicycle companies in the late 40s into the late 80s. Raleigh made the most Twentys, but you can also find them (exact same bike) under the name BSA, Phillips, and a few other brand names. The late Sheldon Brown wrote a lot about them and how to customize them here: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/raleigh-twenty.html
I purchased my first from the big auction site, then literally a month later, another fell at my doorstep. The frames are very heavy duty (and reasonably heavy) but once they are set up, they ride so nicely. There's a few threads about Raleigh Twentys here in the folding bike subforum.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 04-13-23, 04:57 AM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Old 04-13-23, 06:25 AM
arex
Abuse Magnet

One caveat about Raleigh Twentys is that they're all 40-50 years old. Not a dealbreaker, they're worth rebuilding, but just so you know that you're not buying one "off the shelf".
Likes For arex:
Old 04-13-23, 09:08 AM
Harhir

Originally Posted by PhilFo
TI was Tube Investments, who owned many different British (and the commonwealth) bicycle companies in the late 40s into the late 80s. Raleigh made the most Twentys, but you can also find them (exact same bike) under the name BSA, Phillips, and a few other brand names. The late Sheldon Brown wrote a lot about them and how to customize them here: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/raleigh-twenty.html
I purchased my first from the big auction site, then literally a month later, another fell at my doorstep. The frames are very heavy duty (and reasonably heavy) but once they are set up, they ride so nicely. There's a few threads about Raleigh Twentys here in the folding bike subforum.
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate all the details. And yes Sheldon Brown's website is a treasure trove.
Old 04-13-23, 10:08 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Bike Friday does semi-custom made bikes here in the USA. Including a cargo bike and a tandem bike based on 20" wheels.

https://bikefriday.com/

They aren't cheap, but you should be able to get one built to your specs.

Their Diamond Llama is rated up to 330 lbs.
https://bikefriday.com/product/bike-...a-folding-bike

Their All-Packa looks similar, but only rated to 220 lbs. But, the company might be flexible with the design if you needed.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 04-17-23, 01:03 PM
Harhir

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Bike Friday does semi-custom made bikes here in the USA. Including a cargo bike and a tandem bike based on 20" wheels.

https://bikefriday.com/

They aren't cheap, but you should be able to get one built to your specs.

Their Diamond Llama is rated up to 330 lbs.
https://bikefriday.com/product/bike-...a-folding-bike
Yes I have seen the Llama as well. But at $2K it is way more what I am willing to spend for a bike that will only get used once a while.
Old 04-17-23, 02:56 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
Yes I have seen the Llama as well. But at $2K it is way more what I am willing to spend for a bike that will only get used once a while.
Used Bike Friday bikes show up regularly on Craigslist around here. However, I've only seen one with the double tube frame design, and I didn't realize it was the Diamond Lama at the time. And there would be no way of knowing whether it was the heavy weight version unless the original vendor mentioned it.

Still, the vintage bikes mentioned above may fit your needs including budget better.
Old 04-18-23, 09:13 AM
Harhir

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Used Bike Friday bikes show up regularly on Craigslist around here. However, I've only seen one with the double tube frame design, and I didn't realize it was the Diamond Lama at the time. And there would be no way of knowing whether it was the heavy weight version unless the original vendor mentioned it.

Still, the vintage bikes mentioned above may fit your needs including budget better.
Thanks. I always scan the local CL or FB market place adds for interesting bike finds. Bike Friday bikes are rare here. Dallas is not a hot spot for commuter bikes. But occasionally one can make a good deal. I have bough several older bikes in the past and fixed them up. This is fun as well.
There is currently an older Bike Friday Sat R Day (folding recumbent) for sale for $250. But I already have too many recumbents and a folding recumbent is not that compact as I like it to be.
I really need to get my weight down so that I can treat myself with a Brompton. lol. I just love their clever folding design.