Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike rack broke rear wiper

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike rack broke rear wiper

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-23, 10:37 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
You worked in glass shop 40 years ago, right? That’s more than 2 decades before Seasucker even existed, so your experience is not with Seasucker, it’s with glass from around 1985, a time when when rear window defrosters and power windows were optional extras on most American cars.

I think it’s important people understand that context to your comments, because the way you state it, “As someone who worked in a glass shop….just say no to Seasucker,” implies you have some work experience with Seasuckers breaking glass, which you do not.

And you also intend to mislead when you say Seasucker modified their instructions because of glass breakage, but that was not a general revision and was done only for Tesla Model 3 because of what they attributed to rare problems with Teslas roof glass and was actually a recommendation to move the front piece of the Talon rack off the roof and onto to the back glass. Yet, you rail on about Seasuckers and back glass…
Old 07-06-23, 08:10 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I don't really understand why my comment is causing so much grumbling. There isn't a kit available for my car in the link above, but they do make one for older models that looks like it might work. It's nearly $600 (plus tax) and described as 10/10 installation difficulty. Steps required include:
  • Remove the interior side panels of the trunk, remove the rear bumper/facia, both tail lights, both rear wheel well liners and the rear factory reinforcement beam.
  • Disconnect and pull the hands-free trunk opening sensor out of the rear facia (it's embedded inside).
  • Use a saw to cut out and remove an 11" x 4" section of the rear facia, which is also the location where the hands-free trunk opening sensor is embedded by the factory.
  • Re-attach the hands-free trunk sensor to the outside of the facia around the hole using zip ties
  • Bolt the hitch kit onto the chassis using the bolt holes for the factory reinforcement beam. The beam gets installed on top of the hitch kit, using longer aftermarket bolts (is this safe?).
  • Re-install the tail lights, rear facia/bumper cover, wheel well liners. Hopefully those panel gaps all line up OK. Note says that parking/self driving sensors may need to be recalibrated by a dealer.
The installation photos show the use of a hydraulic lift to access the bottom of the car. I doubt the ground clearance on my car is high enough to use ramps, so I'd probably need some kind of floor jack and stands to access the underside of the rear facia? I'd also need an electric saw, a set of torx drivers, a file and a bigger torque wrench.This is not a cheap or easy solution, even assuming I can successfully DIY this in my driveway. There is also a potential that I have to pay the car dealership to re-calibrate sensors. I'd also likely void my car's factory warranty on anything related to the rear sensors, bumper and tail lights.

I stand by my original post: If your car isn't designed to accommodate a hitch from the factory, I'd proceed with caution on getting one installed. Just because someone makes a kit or says they can do it doesn't mean it's a good idea. I'm sure on some cars it's no big deal.
Even if there's a factory hitch, it can be very difficult and expensive. Our 2015 Subaru Outback has a similar complicated installation required. $1,000 at the dealership and a similar price at other shops. But as others have said, it's common for it to be an easy DIY for a lot of cars
Old 07-06-23, 08:15 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Oh good, an argument over something trivial.
Yeah so unusual here Let's see who works hardest at "being right".
Likes For Camilo:
Old 07-07-23, 11:17 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I don't really understand why my comment is causing so much grumbling. There isn't a kit available for my car in the link above, but they do make one for older models that looks like it might work. It's nearly $600 (plus tax) and described as 10/10 installation difficulty.
I sometimes take those installation difficulty ratings with a grain of salt. I've installed two of their hitches and they were both described as "10/10" and both were very easy. I'm not sure what words they'd use to describe for one that's actually a bit challenging.
Old 07-07-23, 01:05 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I don't really understand why my comment is causing so much grumbling.
Just because someone makes a kit or says they can do it doesn't mean it's a good idea. I'm sure on some cars it's no big deal.
part of that is probably my fault. I misinterpreted your original post and came off stronger than needed. Sorry

One thing to keep in mind is Curt Manufacturing has been in business for a lot of years. Mine has been on the car for 9 years now. If their stuff has been used to tow boats and trailers without them being sued into oblivion one has to guess they probably got the engineering right. Our little bike racks can't be stressing their product too horribly.
Old 07-07-23, 03:31 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
We carry a Trek e-assist bike and a recumbent bike (SWB) on a Yakima Two Timer tray mount hitch rack (Receiver installed on our Mazda5 by U-Haul.) It's been fine, but the Curt Cam Buckle Stabilizer which cuts down on sway and bounce does get in the way of the wiper. Hasn't broken it yet. Guess I should take the advice in the review video and attach the stabilizer up high on the rack instead of down low! https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...0aAl29EALw_wcB

Last edited by JanMM; 07-07-23 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-07-23, 08:03 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
I installed a hitch on my car following the University of YouTube. It involved removing the bumper cover, and bolting up the hitch assembly to the chassis and using a dremel to cut a rectangle out of the bumper cover. Took about 4 hours and saved me a bit from installation fees.

Old 07-07-23, 09:18 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
One thing to keep in mind is Curt Manufacturing has been in business for a lot of years. Mine has been on the car for 9 years now. If their stuff has been used to tow boats and trailers without them being sued into oblivion one has to guess they probably got the engineering right. Our little bike racks can't be stressing their product too horribly.
I imagine some folks indulged that same logical fallacy when the Takata airbag fiasco emerged. In 2013, Takata had been around 80 years, and making airbags for 26 years, so by your “reasoning,” that should have meant they had the engineering right. Well, we all should know how the Takata story goes.

Seasucker has been around 14 years…at what age do they earn your “I can only assume the engineering is good” pass? And what about GM? Good gravy, can you imagine how many lawsuits they’ve survived? Corvair alone brought them 294 lawsuits with over $100 million in claims. Some of those lawsuits they lost, too, for lousy engineering. Has GM earned your Lifetime Engineering Inviolability Award?
Old 07-08-23, 11:52 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I imagine some folks indulged that same logical fallacy when the Takata airbag fiasco emerged. In 2013, Takata had been around 80 years, and making airbags for 26 years, so by your “reasoning,” that should have meant they had the engineering right. Well, we all should know how the Takata story goes.

Seasucker has been around 14 years…at what age do they earn your “I can only assume the engineering is good” pass? And what about GM? Good gravy, can you imagine how many lawsuits they’ve survived? Corvair alone brought them 294 lawsuits with over $100 million in claims. Some of those lawsuits they lost, too, for lousy engineering. Has GM earned your Lifetime Engineering Inviolability Award?
Man you don't give up.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 07-08-23, 02:25 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Man you don't give up.
It’s a discussion forum, and should be no surprise that outrageous comments engender spirited responses.
Old 07-13-23, 08:57 PM
MindDbike

Bikes: One suited for commuting and potentially for touring.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you can manage lifting your bike on the car roof, maybe considered bike roof rack.
Old 08-13-23, 11:54 AM
GetUpnGo

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
And yet it breaks car parts like rear wiper arms, that cost more than the cost of the rack itself. While you like your product so much, it caused the problem for you to start this thread.
The wiper arm with blade cost $16 to replace. I paid $116 for the rack in 2017. One mishap in 6 years isn't too bad, and it's at least 50% human error. I've driven all over 4 states with this rack without incident.