Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Opening Snacks While Riding

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Opening Snacks While Riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-23, 06:54 PM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
I buy GuGel in bulk packs and put it into one of their squeeze tubes. Easy to grab the tube, twist to open and squeeze. No need to tear off a foil package.
Old 07-29-23, 07:00 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Clif Blocs are the worst.
Likes For teejaywhy:
Old 07-29-23, 07:03 PM
teejaywhy

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
...Whatever it is you bring with you to replenish your energy while doing your ride, it's not a snack.
Yes it is.
Old 07-29-23, 07:47 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Stop riding while you open the package?
When riding with others, I'm not going to cause everyone to stop and wait for me to do this.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 07-29-23, 07:50 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Originally Posted by datlas
If you KNOW you will be eating a snack on the ride, pre-tear it a bit so you can easily finish opening with your teeth.

Plan B is open at a stop sign or other convenient stopped sitch.
Yes. This is what I usually do, but it can get messy sometimes. Other times, I may be on a two or three hour ride without stopping, that's when it's really difficult. Pre-tearing it may be the best option.
Old 07-29-23, 07:53 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
When riding with others, I'm not going to cause everyone to stop and wait for me to do this.
Stop for 10 seconds, open the wrapper, then sprint briefly to catch up. Or, sprint off the front, stop for 10 seconds to open the wrapper, then jump back in with the group as they catch you.
Old 07-29-23, 07:55 PM
Bassmanbob

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
If you ride with folks who are faster, you may have to learn to eat on the bike. By the time we backmarkers get to a regroup, others are sometimes ready to roll. And yes, under the hem of bibs/shorts is a good place for sticky trash.
Agreed. This is what happens to me. I'm not a fast rider, so I don't want to get dropped and not be able to catch up.
Old 07-29-23, 07:58 PM
Bassmanbob

And yes. This is a first world problem, but I want to keep going without causing a crash.
Old 07-29-23, 11:13 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
Clif Blocs are the worst.
I just bite through the first segment, plastic and all, tear it off, separate the tasty little nugget from the plastic with my teeth and tongue, then grab the plastic and put it in jersey pocket. Usually I'll go ahead and squeeze the second segment into my maw, then stow the rest of the pack into my jersey pocket.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 07-29-23, 11:59 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
How not to:

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 07-30-23, 05:15 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Another way is to hold the snack with the same hand you leave on the handlebar and open it with the other. Give the package a bite to get it started. It could be worse. I once rode with a guy who had to stop to drink from his bottle!
I used to snip a notch into the Clif bar package. They are often hard to get started otherwise.
Now I do this:
Left hand on the bar tops, holding the top of the package with thumb and forefinger. Tear open with my right hand.

I wouldn't try this in a tight spaced group at speed. I drop back a few bike lengths to do the unwrap.
Years ago, I practiced pulling and replacing the bottle without looking. It's a useful skill. My stainless steel bottle cages make this easy -- they are grippy but easy to shove the bottle back in the cage.
Old 07-30-23, 05:40 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Serious question- is no handed that difficult? I find it’s pretty easy to sit up at any speed and open a package.

If solo- just stop obviously, but in a race or group just get far enough from the pack to take your hands off the bars, open, and hammer to catch back up.
Old 07-30-23, 05:49 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Obviously, the packaging is part of OP's conundrum, Cliff bars are meant to survive a nuclear war.

On most rides that require snacks, I just put the carbs in my sippy cup or I do snack time by opening the package enclosure with two hands on my TT bars.

Or, I stop and sit on a bench eating my oreos or lit debbies donuts
Old 07-30-23, 10:54 AM
Jack Tone 

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Serious question- is no handed that difficult? I find it’s pretty easy to sit up at any speed and open a package.

If solo- just stop obviously, but in a race or group just get far enough from the pack to take your hands off the bars, open, and hammer to catch back up.
(waiting for someone to insert video of Jonas Vingegaard on the Champs Elysee)
Old 07-30-23, 12:19 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
There's no reason to stop in order to have a cliff bar or a gel. You just have to figure out the strategy in advance, with a pre-tear in some cases.

on a longish ride, I consume something about every 10 miles after the first 60 miles. There's no way I'm going t stop each time. Particularly on a group ride.

My onboard fuel is a mixture of energy chews and gels. I can open the gels with my teeth, and the chews, depending on the brand, may need a pre-tear.

That's all.....
Old 07-30-23, 08:32 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Tone
(waiting for someone to insert video of Jonas Vingegaard on the Champs Elysee)
That's what I was thinking.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-30-23, 09:14 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
i cut the top off the wrapper of my fruit strips before the ride, all the way across. i put them in my shorts pockets open end up. easy to pull one out and squeeze it out with one hand. i prefer to stop as few times as possible on a long ride.
Old 07-31-23, 12:03 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Another vote for pre-opening.

I can and do ride no-hands but even so, it's quicker if the package is open on one end. One go-to item is rice crispy treats, which are super easy to eat especially if one end is open.

I rode a recumbent for many years due to a low back injury, and inability to ride no-hands was a major drawback imo.
Old 07-31-23, 05:34 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I like rice kispies too. They get pre opened or a put a handful in a ziplock bag.

Long distance racers often use a feed bag and put opened stuff to eat there. So, they would stop and buy crap to eat, open it, stuff it one of these bags and eat on the run. Often they run two of these bags. My rides generally are 4 hours max, and so, I don't need to eat usually.

https://bikepacking.com/gear/bikepacking-stem-bags/
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-31-23, 05:38 AM
toncoto
Trying to race myself

Bikes: Merida 900 Lite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wanna go serious on this one? Practice no-hands!
Old 07-31-23, 07:31 AM
RJC1811

Bikes: Giant Defy 1, Univega Viva Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
As a kid I could ride a wheelie around the block and no hands was second nature. When me and my buddies stopped for pizza we would take the last slice and eat it as we rode. Now it’s a couple things. First I think my old road bike is easier to ride no hands. My Giant Defy seems a little harder to balance. I never measured the rake of the front forks but that may have something to do with it. Then a year and a half ago I had a brain bleed. I have a condition called a cavernous malformation (diagnosed when it bled) basically a cluster of poorly formed blood vessels in my brain. Nothing to do about it, just live healthy and monitor it. Anyway when it happened I had severe vertigo. That is much better now. I’ve been cleared to ride and getting some good miles in. The downside is my balance isn’t what it used to be. I just try to be more cautious on fast descents and I’m working on riding no hands again. I can do it but wouldn’t trust myself when riding next to someone or near traffic. I stop and eat a bar and enjoy the scenery if I need to fuel.
Likes For RJC1811:
Old 07-31-23, 12:37 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I avoid buying "food products" and beverages that are in single use plastic packaging. Only metal cans get efficiently recycled and the rest end up in a landfill dump or in the ocean. I helped briefly at a recycle center when in college and became quite aware of how expensive it was to ship glass to a plant to be made into new glass and know now that 95% of plastic ends up in incinerators or landfills either in the USA or overseas or is dumped into the ocean.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 07-31-23, 01:16 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Metal cans still go to the land fill and sit there forever if just throw them in the trash.
Old 08-01-23, 01:42 PM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Bikes: Specialized Crux, Winspace SLC 2.0, Giant TCR Alliance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
I avoid buying "food products" and beverages that are in single use plastic packaging. Only metal cans get efficiently recycled and the rest end up in a landfill dump or in the ocean. I helped briefly at a recycle center when in college and became quite aware of how expensive it was to ship glass to a plant to be made into new glass and know now that 95% of plastic ends up in incinerators or landfills either in the USA or overseas or is dumped into the ocean.
More broadly this reminds me how we can think about the environmental impact our sport has. Although we're not driving a car, we can still leave a bigger negative footprint than we think. Might this be a good argument to drink your calories from a re-usable water bottle instead? It's not perfect (you still get the mixes in plastic containers) but potentially the impact is less than the single use plastic wraps.
Old 08-01-23, 04:29 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
Can't imagine riding non stop on a bicycle or anything for 3 hours.
if you race endurance events then you’ll be on your bike for 3 consecutive hours or more. Even if you’re doing long events that have stops, you want to be eating consistently in hard multi hour rides. If you wait to eat only at rest stops, then you’re either going to be stopping a ton, or you’re going to fall behind on food intake.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.