Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Opening Snacks While Riding

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Opening Snacks While Riding

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-23, 04:34 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by sir_crash_alot
More broadly this reminds me how we can think about the environmental impact our sport has. Although we're not driving a car, we can still leave a bigger negative footprint than we think. Might this be a good argument to drink your calories from a re-usable water bottle instead? It's not perfect (you still get the mixes in plastic containers) but potentially the impact is less than the single use plastic wraps.
A big tub of a sports drink mix that will fill 50 bottles or so, to me is more environmentally friendly,cheaper, and more convenient than single use bottles.

However, I want some of my energy from solid food. If you’re willing to put in the effort making your own sandwiches and bars, wrapped in foil, can be cost effective, tailor your nutrition, easy to open, and a leave a bit smaller footprint. Unfortunately they take more effort than I typically am willing to put out
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 08-01-23, 10:55 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
I certainly like the idea of pre-cutting energy bar wrappers in advance if I could only remember to do it.

Old 08-02-23, 10:09 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Back when I used solid food on the bike, I'd open a couple Clif bars, break them into quarters and put them in a pocket. I never held anything in my hand for very long. I like all my fingers to be available for bike control as much of the time as possible.
Old 08-02-23, 10:58 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Back when I used solid food on the bike, I'd open a couple Clif bars, break them into quarters and put them in a pocket. I never held anything in my hand for very long. I like all my fingers to be available for bike control as much of the time as possible.
yeah, i definitely don’t like the “feel” of not having both hands on the bars. i’ll often even rest my eating hand on the bars mid-snack, still holding whatever it is.
Old 08-02-23, 02:43 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I certainly like the idea of pre-cutting energy bar wrappers in advance if I could only remember to do it.
For a long time, I tended to carry, but not eat, a Clif bar. I was riding less than 3 hours, back then. I'd carry the same one for months, so I definitely didn't want to pre-open.

Now my Sunday rides are about 4 hours, and I learned that I need more than the calories in my drink mix to get through, so I eat something. But even though I really like to keep going, I have made it a habit to stop at the same place every ride, have a snack, etc.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-02-23, 03:06 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
I see that Ziplocs now come in paper varieties, and of course these types of snack bags have been around for a long time

https://www.amazon.com/100-pack-Natu.../dp/B097XSL4PY
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-06-23, 08:00 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I started this thread specifically for a challenging ride for me, which is now in two weeks: Ride Across Wisconsin (RAW). I plan to do the one day full option, which is 235 miles with either 8,500 feet of climbing (all road) or 7,300 feet of climbing (part tightly packed gravel). I'm not a particularly fast rider, so I want to be as efficient as possible. The only support I'll have is the provided SAG stops; I'll have no friends or family following me with a car to hand me premade drinks or snacks. So I've been testing different logistics the last few weeks while I do my weekend endurance rides. I have, for a few years, relied mostly on liquid electrolytes and carbs during my rides of three or more hours. I do, however get a like to have a little something in my belly for extended endurance rides (rides of 6-15 hours). In all honesty, I've only done one double century, and a couple extended centuries.

So here's what I've come up with:
*4 water bottles: 2 in the traditional triangle and 2 behind the saddle
*3 of these bottles will have Infinit Go Far and 1 just water
*a top tube bag filled with pre-portioned Infinit Go Far (ready for six more bottles)
*the opposite end of the top tube bag will have my extra front light, extra rear light and battery power supply for my phone (used for navigation) and Wahoo computer
*a top tube feed bag with 2 cliff bars, 1 shot blocks sleeve This bag will also be used for any energy bars or such I grab at the SAG stops.

As far as my original concern about opening packaging, I'm just going to pre-tear one package at a time at the SAG stops. I guess this is a long winded conclusion to my first world problem.

Thanks for all of your replies!
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 08-06-23, 09:12 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Well don't forget they have plenty of rest stops roughly 15 miles or a tad further apart that provide water and other hydration mix along with snacks. So don't load yourself down with extra weight that will only make it harder on you because you'll use more energy over the course of that 235 miles to get to the end with a huge energy deficit no matter how many Calories you consume on the way.

Also, try to find a group that rides at your speed. Otherwise solo you'll expend 20 to 30 percent more energy in drag alone getting to the end.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...=1#gid=1460409

https://www.rideacrosswisconsin.com/reststops

Last edited by Iride01; 08-06-23 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-06-23, 05:11 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
With rest stops every 15 miles, 2, bottles would be fine. At a bottle an hour, you could skip every other rest stop and be fine.

I did Dirty Kanza, that only has 3 places to get support for 200 miles of dirt roads, with 2 bottles and was fine. I think your plan is a bit of overkill.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 08-07-23, 04:06 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I started this thread specifically for a challenging ride for me, which is now in two weeks: Ride Across Wisconsin (RAW). I plan to do the one day full option, which is 235 miles with either 8,500 feet of climbing (all road) or 7,300 feet of climbing (part tightly packed gravel). I'm not a particularly fast rider, so I want to be as efficient as possible. The only support I'll have is the provided SAG stops; I'll have no friends or family following me with a car to hand me premade drinks or snacks. So I've been testing different logistics the last few weeks while I do my weekend endurance rides. I have, for a few years, relied mostly on liquid electrolytes and carbs during my rides of three or more hours. I do, however get a like to have a little something in my belly for extended endurance rides (rides of 6-15 hours). In all honesty, I've only done one double century, and a couple extended centuries.

*a top tube bag filled with pre-portioned Infinit Go Far (ready for six more bottles)
*the opposite end of the top tube bag will have my extra front light, extra rear light and battery power supply for my phone (used for navigation) and Wahoo computer
*a top tube feed bag with 2 cliff bars, 1 shot blocks sleeve This bag will also be used for any energy bars or such I grab at the SAG stops.

As far as my original concern about opening packaging, I'm just going to pre-tear one package at a time at the SAG stops. I guess this is a long winded conclusion to my first world problem.

Nobody mentioned Shot Blox.. just lick 'em and stick em along your top tube. Peel and eat.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-07-23, 05:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Nobody mentioned Shot Blox.. just lick 'em and stick em along your top tube. Peel and eat.
I guess you also get to reclaim some of your lost electrolytes, by eating them after sweating all over them....

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-07-23, 09:37 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Bite the perforations and tear. Pull out food. Consume food and place packaging in pocket.
The only thing I do differently is to put the packaging in one of legs of my shorts. The lycra bibs hold the package and won't let it fall on the ground, and any stickiness gets on my thigh and the shorts, which are both washed soon after the ride anyway.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 08-07-23, 11:13 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
If you’re not comfortable riding no handed I don’t think you should pursue opening a bar when riding. The initial rip can throw you off. Resting your hands/arms on the bars while you do this could make it worse. Ride without hands for a while then try to do things with your hands once you’re comfortable.
Old 08-09-23, 09:46 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob

That'll get you there. Good luck.
Old 08-23-23, 06:12 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Well don't forget they have plenty of rest stops roughly 15 miles or a tad further apart that provide water and other hydration mix along with snacks. So don't load yourself down with extra weight that will only make it harder on you because you'll use more energy over the course of that 235 miles to get to the end with a huge energy deficit no matter how many Calories you consume on the way.

Also, try to find a group that rides at your speed. Otherwise solo you'll expend 20 to 30 percent more energy in drag alone getting to the end.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...=1#gid=1460409

https://www.rideacrosswisconsin.com/reststops
Yep! I should have listened to you. I biked with four 21 oz. bottles (3 electrolytes and 1 water), a top tube bag filled with 7 extra servings of my electrolyte powder, two Cliff bars and one Shot Blocks. I also had the extra bottle holder behind my saddle. The whole thing added about five pounds. One rider who passed me said he and his buddies were voting my bike the Sherpa bike. I took too much. What I should have done was rely more on the rest stops and use the halfway bag drop off option (I didn't realize they had). I should have trained with the electrolyte powders they were using so I didn't have to pack mine.

As it turns out, I only completed 120 miles of the 235 planned. We had a 15 mph wind coming out of the south the whole day. It was brutal; even the Wisconsinites were complaining about the wind. While I waited for my SAG ride, I saw about 5 other riders pack their bikes on their families' cars and drove away. I also was too picky as to whom I should ride with. If they were a bit too fast, I didn't hang on. If they were a bit too slow, I didn't slow down. I should have ridden with even a small group. This was a rookie mistake. I could have trained better and packed less on my bike.

I'm considering doing it again next year. I hate attempting it and not having been successful.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 08-23-23, 06:16 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
120 miles is no couch potato day. You'll do even better next time.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-24-23, 03:44 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Don't be ashamed of the 120 miles. It's more than I've done anytime in very recent history. Congrat's!

As for the wind, that was a quartering headwind wasn't it? I'll take that or a direct head wind over a 15 mph tailwind. With the tailwind, it would be like riding with no air movement to help cool you if your average speed is 15 mph. On long rides you generate a lot of heat. So you need air blowing over you to keep you cool.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-24-23, 03:51 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Good job completing 120 miles. You've got goo experience now for next time.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 08-24-23, 05:33 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Old 08-25-23, 05:07 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Yes. It's a skill every cyclist should learn IMO... It's no different from drinking water while riding. You crack it open using your tooth and squeeze the bar / gel out in your mouth with your fingers.

Most of us stop every once and then during a ride, but it's still a good thing to learn how to do it in case you can't stop and need carb/food intake.

Last edited by eduskator; 08-25-23 at 05:11 AM.