Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike computer vs iPhone

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike computer vs iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-23, 01:15 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike
If all you are interested in is real time speed and distance, there are some cheap GPS "computers" available. I have one of these, which is very simple, doesn't have a lot of functions, but works fine. Right now it's only $25 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/CYCPLUS-Compu...34&sr=8-3&th=1
I just ordered it. Thanks. For that price there was no reason not to.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 11-21-23, 01:16 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Does this mount on the handlebars? Or can you keep it in your pocket? Thanks
Old 11-21-23, 01:17 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Sometimes I wonder about how accurate it really is. There have been multiple times when riding with friends where we all end up with different distances and elevation gains, even though we started and finished our rides at pretty close times and locations, and are all using GPS-sourced distance calculations. The differences aren't gigantic, but more than would happen in our variations in start and stop times/locations.
Accurate enough I think on distance. At least consistent anyway. I just checked a local 26 km loop I often ride and the variation in distance is 0.02 km. Elevation gain can be more hit and miss, but it’s good enough and you won’t get that with a speed sensor anyway.
Old 11-21-23, 01:24 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I use this Garmin watch. I paid $99 at my local running store. It will log data for numerous activities. It displays time distance and speed. Once it syncs with the Garmin app, I have the app sync with Strava, and there much more data is visible, like elevation and segments etc.

Like you I only want the basic info while riding. This does it well, doesn't add clutter to bars and works with all my bikes, jogging, walks, hikes etc.

Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 11-21-23, 01:25 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
It's not what the cycle computer does or what the smart phone does that is the true attraction. That lies in the simple using of an electronic device and the fascination of translating experience into numbers. Think back to the days before we had all this stuff. Cycling was just as much fun. I suppose there is no harm in using these devices, but they are really unnecessary. I have a simple computer on my road bikes but nothing on my mountain bike. The only difference between riding one and the other is that on my road bike I know how fast I am going and how far I went. If I am cycling to a destination on my road bike, I know how far I have to go. I pretty much know the same things on my mountain but not with precision. As Marshall Mc Cluan pointed out with regards to T.V., "the medium is the message." But no harm done if you like this sort of thing.
When I say things like that to my children, they more or less ignore it. They would usually say some thing like, yeah Dad and the gas was 25 cents a gallon!
I take it for an indicator of irrelevance to their time where certain things (unnecessary to us) have become a necessity.
For example, I still don’t really see a need of those bicycle-specific tight outfits that cost hundreds of $ but my children almost wouldn’t go out on a bike without it, even when they are riding my old steel Tesch or the ancient Waterford.

But as long as they enjoy the outdoors, it’s all good!
Old 11-21-23, 01:33 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
I only go on day trips, and as someone already mentioned, I know the routes, town, and I have my phone and watch (yes, a 50 year old watch that is still ticking accurately by natural and occasional movement of my wrist - no batteries, no recharging, no blue or purple tooth). 😉

Next year when I start going touring, multiple day trips, then a good bicycling computer will become important and I’d buy.
Old 11-21-23, 02:02 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
It's about the location. I'm not under the belief that being in my jersey pocket is the same as some sort of protective case, but it's much less exposed and prone to damage than being on my handlebars, especially since a good portion of my riding is in the dirt (MTB or gravel bike)
my last crash a couple of months ago i landed on my back after hitting the tree, but that was after hitting the curb. anyway, my phone was in my under seat bag, had it been in my pocket then i wouldn't be able to peruse all those sweet Dubai girls while not riding.
Old 11-21-23, 02:11 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
my last crash a couple of months ago i landed on my back after hitting the tree, but that was after hitting the curb. anyway, my phone was in my under seat bag, had it been in my pocket then i wouldn't be able to peruse all those sweet Dubai girls while not riding.
I hope your body and bike are okay. Hopefully, one of those nice girls helped speed your recovery.

Especially when riding in the dirt, I tend to stop and take pics along the way. I like having my phone quickly accessible, and my jersey pocket serves my needs. When I crash and land on my back, and the shattered screen slices into the soft flesh of my lower back, I will remember that I should have heeded your warning.
Old 11-21-23, 02:26 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
The IG Sport line gets very good ratings, have more functionality than you can use and has GPS (and sensors for speed, cadence,etc) for CHEAP: https://www.aliexpress.us/w/wholesal...7b4b2145o5egxH. Amazon sells the same stuff for far more.

I have had zero issues with my bike electronics (lights and sensors) through this site.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-21-23, 03:59 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Addressing the "just ride your bike more" folks, I've found that a big factor in riding my bike more is creating routes to places I've never seen using RidewithGPS, uploading the resulting TCX files to my Garmin and following its prompts. Another factor in riding my bike more is having current data on cadence and heart rate. I can ride a lot further if I know how much energy I'm expending. I too, don't look at speed. That's the one useless piece of data. Distance, OTOH, is very important. It's good to know where one is and what's coming up next. When my wife and I did our two week tandem tour in the Czech Republic, I planned the whole thing out in advance. We used our Garmins for navigation and took no paper maps. That's how we ride our bike more. We're still at it, riding places we've never been before as well as old, familiar routes, of which I have over 200 in my route library.
Old 11-21-23, 04:23 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Addressing the "just ride your bike more" folks, I've found that a big factor in riding my bike more is creating routes to places I've never seen using RidewithGPS, uploading the resulting TCX files to my Garmin and following its prompts. Another factor in riding my bike more is having current data on cadence and heart rate. I can ride a lot further if I know how much energy I'm expending. I too, don't look at speed. That's the one useless piece of data. Distance, OTOH, is very important. It's good to know where one is and what's coming up next. When my wife and I did our two week tandem tour in the Czech Republic, I planned the whole thing out in advance. We used our Garmins for navigation and took no paper maps. That's how we ride our bike more. We're still at it, riding places we've never been before as well as old, familiar routes, of which I have over 200 in my route library.
Yep. I know my local area really well, and don't need directions to ride where I want to ride. However, while vacationing earlier this year, mapping was a big factor in being able to do some really excellent rides in an unfamiliar area.

My most critical real-time data is HR.
Old 11-21-23, 04:44 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Just my iPhone in a silicone case, and cheap silicone bar mount, if I crash the phone is the least of my worries.
Tim
Old 11-21-23, 04:45 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by tkamd73
Just my iPhone in a silicone case, and cheap silicone bar mount, if I crash the phone is the least of my worries.
Tim
Until you have to call someone to pick up you and your broken bike.
Old 11-21-23, 04:51 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
Does this mount on the handlebars? Or can you keep it in your pocket? Thanks
I have mine mounted on the stem, but you could easily attach it to the bars. It’s also small enough to keep in your pocket— about half the size of a phone.
Likes For Oldguyonoldbike:
Old 11-21-23, 05:00 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
[QUOTE=Eric F;23079071]Until you have to call someone to pick up you and your broken bike. [/

My last two crashes, the phone came out of it a lot better then me, not really an issue.
Tim
Old 11-21-23, 05:05 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I believe Garmin and RideWithGPS are some of the most transformative technologies that have exponentially increased my enjoyment of cycling and made it a fantastic part of my life. Thanks to these technologies, I have been able to travel around the world and ride with a sense of purpose while finding the best cycling roads as a local. For instance, during my month-long trip to Southern Vietnam, I could plan my routes on a daily basis with ease, something that would not have been reasonably possible without onboard digital mapping.

I followed that up with an extended credit card tour of Portugal, riding north to south and booking accommodation followed by building a route daily. I find the recent addition of heat maps in the latest planning software amazing as it effectively allows one to find and ride on the roads most frequented by cyclists. I much prefer a dedicated bike computer however use a phone if that is your thing as those battles have occurred numerous times on these forums with no winners on either side.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 11-21-23, 05:07 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Yep. I know my local area really well, and don't need directions to ride where I want to ride. However, while vacationing earlier this year, mapping was a big factor in being able to do some really excellent rides in an unfamiliar area.

My most critical real-time data is HR.
My local area is about 100X100 miles. No way can I keep track of complicated routes I may not even ride once a year. Plus I publish routes once a week for our group rides.
Old 11-21-23, 05:22 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
For the riding I am doing right now a basic, simple computer fills me needs.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 11-21-23, 07:26 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I used to use my iPhone with the app Cyclemeter. It worked pretty well until the extreme heat of the South Florida summers on my Saturday morning endurance rides. After about 90 minutes my iPhone would overheat and shut down. I would put in in my jersey pocket to cool off for at least 20 minutes before I could use it again. then if I mounted it back on my bike, it would last about ten minutes before it would overheat again. That's when I bought a Garmin. I switched to a Wahoo last year when my Garmin went dead. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, but I'll never go back to using my iPhone as a bike computer again. Neither of those have overheated on me ever.
Edit: I do ride early, especially in the summer for my Saturday endurance rides in S Florida. In the summer, I need to be off the bike by about 10- 10:30 AM, otherwise I start to overheat. But the iPhone was overheating long before I was done with my Saturday rides.

Last edited by Bassmanbob; 11-21-23 at 07:30 PM.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 11-22-23, 12:20 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I used to use my iPhone with the app Cyclemeter. It worked pretty well until the extreme heat of the South Florida summers on my Saturday morning endurance rides. After about 90 minutes my iPhone would overheat and shut down. I would put in in my jersey pocket to cool off for at least 20 minutes before I could use it again. then if I mounted it back on my bike, it would last about ten minutes before it would overheat again. That's when I bought a Garmin. I switched to a Wahoo last year when my Garmin went dead. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, but I'll never go back to using my iPhone as a bike computer again. Neither of those have overheated on me ever.
Edit: I do ride early, especially in the summer for my Saturday endurance rides in S Florida. In the summer, I need to be off the bike by about 10- 10:30 AM, otherwise I start to overheat. But the iPhone was overheating long before I was done with my Saturday rides.
I used an Iphone (6) on a fat tire bike mounted on the top bar behind the radio when I worked S&R in the mountains and that phone shut down frequently from heat even when the bike was moving. Switched to a Samsung Android and under same circumstances never had a problem with it shutting down from heat, even when the bike was stationary leaning up against a tree in full sun. My wife likes her Iphone and won't change, but I've become a diehard Samsung believer.
Old 11-22-23, 08:05 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
My set up was given to me by one of my generous daughters, a Wahoo Roam and Garmen Varia. Sensors on the rear hub for speed and one on the shoe. I use to use a HR sensor across the chest but now I expect my Pixel 2 watch to take care of that. My go to app is Ride with GPS which is automatically updated from the Wahoo.
I have several bikes and the RWG supports identifying which bike was used.
What I have found useful is current cadence, which needs working on and the radar of the Varia. I like to know when a vehicle is approaching from the rear. I have managed to survive for 0ver 72 years and don't want to take any additional risk with my aging.
What I do review after a ride is the average speed, cadence and HR stats. I have been riding alone all my cycling life and don't care much what others are doing or how I compare. I am the strongest competitor I know.
I have been informed the Varia is one of, if not the brightest rear light around. It varies with the speed and distance of the rear approaching vehicle to get their attention.
I have dedicated sensors on the major bikes I ride and with a standard pedal selection, Keo, I can use one pair of shoes. That means that there are multiple mounts for the single Roam and Varia. one for each on each bike with other sensors. Sensor batteries et replaced every year.
PXL_20220720_133417067 on Flickr
P1050237 on Flickr
P1050206 on Flickr
Old 11-22-23, 08:15 AM
cweb99

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts
I use a Sigma. Gives me MPH, distance, cadence. Among other things I don’t use. It uses a sensor on the fork and chain stay along with a magnet on the pedal. Gives me everything I need never had any issues
Old 11-22-23, 08:58 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
I rode Bike Virginia this past summer and the routes were all Ride with GPS. No maps, no painted arrows.

For those of us with Wahoo or Garmins, just another day in the saddle.

For the many with only phones, there was a lot of frustration. Batteries ran out very quickly. Do you keep the display on or off or some combination? I can't see the map when it's in my pocket and can't always hear the prompts.

This is a case where the right tool for the job fits.
Likes For bblair:
Old 11-22-23, 09:42 AM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike
I have mine mounted on the stem, but you could easily attach it to the bars. It’s also small enough to keep in your pocket— about half the size of a phone.
Thanks. I ordered one.
Old 11-22-23, 09:48 AM
BK007

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I use Garmin Edge Explore synced to my phone , works out pretty good so far

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.