Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

High mileage riders - What do you do for calories?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

High mileage riders - What do you do for calories?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-24, 11:13 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes

I pound free food. I finish my kids' meals. I eat pounds of raisins/peanuts/chocolate chips mixed together. I also eat a lot of frozen pizzas. I deep fry french fries for lunch and fry potatoes/onions for breakfasts. Also a lot of cheese. I've also taken up baking (usually from mix) cake, brownies, bread, and cornbread. I do eat fruits and veggies.

Any thoughts or advice?
It sounds like the fruit and veg is an afterthought. If so then I would change it around. Frozen pizza, deep fried potatoes and cakes do not make a very healthy diet.

My advice would be to take up healthy home cooking in place of baking bread and cakes. Drop the frozen pizza habit.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-20-24, 11:21 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
These anecdotes about cyclists and runners that competed successfully while eating at McDonalds are like stories of chain smokers that had a cancer-free life. It may have worked out okay for them, but it’s not a very good idea.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-20-24, 11:25 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
henry rono was about the greatest runner of his time and he apparently lived on big macs and coke and was reputed to have drank a 5th of rum before some big races.
Imagine how much better he could've been if he hadn't been filling his body with junk.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-20-24, 11:44 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
These anecdotes about cyclists and runners that competed successfully while eating at McDonalds are like stories of chain smokers that had a cancer-free life. It may have worked out okay for them, but it’s not a very good idea.
Gives me something to strive for tho…….
Likes For jadmt:
Old 01-20-24, 03:32 PM
RH Clark

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
It sounds like the fruit and veg is an afterthought. If so then I would change it around. Frozen pizza, deep fried potatoes and cakes do not make a very healthy diet.

My advice would be to take up healthy home cooking in place of baking bread and cakes. Drop the frozen pizza habit.
I completely agree. Even when I want sweets, I make my own from toasted rolled oats, toasted nuts, dark cholate and dried fruit. I roll them into bite sizes and call them biker balls. My weird sense of humor.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 01-20-24, 04:58 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
henry rono was about the greatest runner of his time and he apparently lived on big macs and coke and was reputed to have drank a 5th of rum before some big races. There is also a guy Don Gorske who has eaten a big mac every single day for over 50 years. Probably all about genetics.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-20-24, 05:55 PM
One Wheel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 40 Posts
Red meat and, if you can handle lactose full-fat dairy, are as close to complete foods as you'll find. I buy expired Clif bars in bulk on ebay, 1 small or 1/2 large every 1/2 hour works for rides up to about 4 hours. I don'tgenerally eat differently off the bike when I ride vswhen I don't.
Likes For One Wheel:
Old 01-20-24, 06:06 PM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by One Wheel
Red meat and, if you can handle lactose full-fat dairy, are as close to complete foods as you'll find. I buy expired Clif bars in bulk on ebay, 1 small or 1/2 large every 1/2 hour works for rides up to about 4 hours. I don'tgenerally eat differently off the bike when I ride vswhen I don't.
Red meat IMHO is healthy as long as you are working enough to build muscle. there is a hormone, I think, called mTOR that helps build muscle but can help grow cancers if a person is more sedentary. I prefer to only consume red meat when I have worked hard enough to make muscles sore.
Old 01-20-24, 06:26 PM
One Wheel

Originally Posted by RH Clark
Red meat IMHO is healthy as long as you are working enough to build muscle. there is a hormone, I think, called mTOR that helps build muscle but can help grow cancers if a person is more sedentary. I prefer to only consume red meat when I have worked hard enough to make muscles sore.
Strictly anecdotal: my sister doesn't do a lot of exercise, aside from being a homeschooling mom of 3 young boys. She was having some health problems, I'm not sure exactly what, and got a recommendation to eat I think it was 180 grams of protein per day. I'm pretty sure that's coming largely from red meat, and she's never been healthier.

I've read that the studies looking at the health of red meat tend to not control for type of red meat: a burger with fries and a Coke counts as the same serving of red meat as a grass-fed steak.
Old 01-20-24, 06:27 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
An example of a hearty camp meal after a pretty tough day from MA into NY.

Farfalle with some sort of sausage, sautéed garlic and shallot, red sauce and fresh spinach.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-20-24, 08:24 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
I like peanut butter. I only average 25 miles/day, but I can move my weight up and down by controlling my peanut butter intake. 75 years of age and still feel younger than most my age. I credit it to riding a bike.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 01-21-24, 10:57 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I've found that I cannot out-exercise what I put in my mouth. I can ride as many miles as I want and still put on weight if I don't watch what and how much I eat. Remember, what you put in your mouth is fuel. Good fuel in = better performance. Bad fuel in = worse performance.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 01-21-24, 12:35 PM
PeteHski

Strictly anecdotal: my sister doesn't do a lot of exercise, aside from being a homeschooling mom of 3 young boys. She was having some health problems, I'm not sure exactly what, and got a recommendation to eat I think it was 180 grams of protein per day. I'm pretty sure that's coming largely from red meat, and she's never been healthier.

I've read that the studies looking at the health of red meat tend to not control for type of red meat: a burger with fries and a Coke counts as the same serving of red meat as a grass-fed steak.
What does she weigh? Most recent studies suggest it's a waste of time eating more than approx 2g/kg bodyweight of protein per day. Maybe 2.2g/kg if you are doing a lot of endurance exercise, which it sounds like she isn't.
Old 01-21-24, 01:19 PM
One Wheel

What does she weigh? Most recent studies suggest it's a waste of time eating more than approx 2g/kg bodyweight of protein per day. Maybe 2.2g/kg if you are doing a lot of endurance exercise, which it sounds like she isn't.
If I recall correctly she's mentioned being familiar with that research, but it works better for her to set her goal much higher, in the range of 3-4 g/kg. She's lost some weight on the high protein diet: I would say maybe the higher end of healthy to the lower end; she's never been obese or emaciated.
Old 01-21-24, 06:55 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
I'm 49. I figure I'm eating an extra 10,000 calories a week on top of normal human eating to fuel my bike commuting. I already lost weight last year so now I am balancing my lifestyle. I feel like I get most of my nutrition covered by normal eating, so I think I'm just looking for cheap calories to burn that taste good and are not bad for me. I look at it like a substitute for buying gas for the car.

I pound free food. I finish my kids' meals. I eat pounds of raisins/peanuts/chocolate chips mixed together. I also eat a lot of frozen pizzas. I deep fry french fries for lunch and fry potatoes/onions for breakfasts. Also a lot of cheese. I've also taken up baking (usually from mix) cake, brownies, bread, and cornbread. I do eat fruits and veggies.

Any thoughts or advice?
My first thought is that you are on a very bad path if you eat like this ^ off the bike on a regular basis. I hope you have good health insurance. I'll light a candle for you. Good luck .
Likes For Turnin_Wrenches:
Old 01-21-24, 08:05 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I've found that I cannot out-exercise what I put in my mouth. I can ride as many miles as I want and still put on weight if I don't watch what and how much I eat. Remember, what you put in your mouth is fuel. Good fuel in = better performance. Bad fuel in = worse performance.
See my post above about putting on weight while riding unsupported across the country. Relatively early on, I put my bike on a truck weigh scale. 90 lbs. We were averaging around 60 miles/day with every 6th or 7th day off on average. One I scaled back the calories and got to the mountains in NY, VT and NH, I was able to drop it and then some.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-22-24, 10:58 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
The night before a long ride, I typically have a carbo rich meal, like pasta but keep the fat intake low. On ride day I have my water bottles filled with a carb and electrolyte mix, and stuff my pockets with energy bars like SKRATCH Labs and the like, (tired fig bars, which are good but just don’t care for the taste) and a banana. I try to drink every 20 mins and eat something every half hour. I stay away from high fat, high sugar unless I am going over 50 miles and I find a Snickers bar at a store during a break. Usually I skip the Snickers.

Old 01-22-24, 01:45 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
I like peanut butter. I only average 25 miles/day, but I can move my weight up and down by controlling my peanut butter intake. 75 years of age and still feel younger than most my age. I credit it to riding a bike.
Interesting you mention that. On bike tours, I carry a jar of peanut butter, and flour tortillas for a snack during the day if I cannot find a place to eat. Easy to carry and gives me the fuel I need.
Likes For phughes:
Old 01-22-24, 05:42 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Interesting you mention that. On bike tours, I carry a jar of peanut butter, and flour tortillas for a snack during the day if I cannot find a place to eat. Easy to carry and gives me the fuel I need.
This idea really checks a lot of boxes - easy to carry, easy to purchase, easy to make, easy to eat, affordable, reasonably healthy and delicious
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 01-23-24, 07:23 AM
RH Clark

This idea really checks a lot of boxes - easy to carry, easy to purchase, easy to make, easy to eat, affordable, reasonably healthy and delicious
Maybe reasonably healthy if you buy the kind not mixed with hydrogenated or seed oils and full of high fructose corn syrup. Still not as healthy as a trail mix you could make from 100% whole food natural ingredients. If you want healthy you really have to read the ingredients list and know the possible negative effects of each one.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 01-23-24, 08:14 AM
indyfabz

I ate so much peanut butter crossing the country that I tend to avoid it.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-23-24, 08:45 AM
PeteHski

If I recall correctly she's mentioned being familiar with that research, but it works better for her to set her goal much higher, in the range of 3-4 g/kg. She's lost some weight on the high protein diet: I would say maybe the higher end of healthy to the lower end; she's never been obese or emaciated.
Maybe the extra protein and associated fats just keeps her carb intake in check, regardless of whether or not she can actually use all that protein (the science suggests that she can’t). I’m currently discovering how combining carbs with fats and protein may help to flatten our blood glucose response. That could be the benefit to metabolic health here.
Old 01-23-24, 10:50 AM
indyfabz

Carbs, protein, fat and veggies all rolled into one the night before a hard day in the Berkshires.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-23-24, 12:58 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Maybe the extra protein and associated fats just keeps her carb intake in check, regardless of whether or not she can actually use all that protein (the science suggests that she can’t). I’m currently discovering how combining carbs with fats and protein may help to flatten our blood glucose response. That could be the benefit to metabolic health here.
I'd be wary of maintaining a high protein diet long term. Protein overconsumption is associated with several health risks.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 01-24-24, 05:06 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by terrymorse
I'd be wary of maintaining a high protein diet long term. Protein overconsumption is associated with several health risks.
I agree. I found this podcast a good summary of protein requirements.

https://zoe.com/learn/podcast-should...re-protein.amp

TLDR: Don’t worry about protein intake if you are eating a healthy, balanced diet with enough calories for your level of activity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.