Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Orange coating on old bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-24, 11:37 AM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 182 Posts

I’m wondering what this orange film is on this old bicycle I picked up. I don’t think it’s rust . How do I clean it? Thanks

Old 03-19-24, 11:56 AM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
Start with washing it and see how much comes off. Then nevr-dul will shine up good surfaces satisfactorily.

There are likely hundreds of ways to clean it up. Use the simpler products first. Soap and water. Car wash soap should work. An orange degreaser for what that doesn't cut.

the nevr-dul is a wool wadding with petroleum distillate in it. A very light kerosene, or the sort. Cleans well, and doesn't scratch that I've ever seen.

soft brush-old toothbrush perhaps to get in tight spots. Looks like typica barn grunge or oil
film. Maybe it was sprayed with something to preserve the finish, like fluid film. You may have a real gem under it.
Old 03-19-24, 12:26 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by robertj298
I’m wondering what this orange film is on this old bicycle I picked up. I don’t think it’s rust . How do I clean it? Thanks
Looks like it's been treated with an anti-rust product, basically a spray grease that forms a protective coating. Remove with a solvent like mineral spirits or kerosene - brush on, work in with the brush and wipe off with a soft cloth, then wash with a mild detergent.
Old 03-19-24, 12:29 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
I agree that starting with a dish soap in hot water and sponges/toothbrushes. Next might be using WD40 on a rag or with that toothbrush. At some point most all the "patina" residue will be gone and you can use a more aggressive solvent and/or more scratch prone mechanical scrubbing (fine, many "0" steel wool or Scotch Brite). Be careful around the decals, testing methods in a tiny spot that's out of sight can be a good idea before going whole hog.

Some of the residue is likely the thin layer of an oil/grime mix. Oil seeps out of lubed parts by capillary action alone surfaces. Sometimes people spray a wax or lube on their bikes before putting them away. Some of the residue, on the exposed steel surfaces, might be the start of rust. If there's no real depth/pitting from this possible rust most of it will be rubbed off with the previous cleaning.

Of course much more important to the bike's being safe and reliable is the condition of the working elements of the bike. mere cleaning off them won't likely fix any actual problems with them but might make finding or dealing with those issues easier anyway.

Have you tried to turn spoke nipples? Are any chain links not freely pivoting about? Are the cables freely moving? how old and dried out are the rubber bits (tires and brake pads)? Andy
Old 03-19-24, 02:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Some of it might be rust. After cleaning all the chromed pieces and determining it might be rust, crumple up a sheet of aluminum foil and rub on it. That loosens up the rust and makes it not so obvious that the chrome is going bad.

Might work on the stainless steel parts too. But for the RD I'd just try a brass bristle brush you can get at most auto or tool stores, big box and small. Failing to find a brass bristle brush, I'd have no problems with a regular wire brush. Though I'm sure others will.
Old 03-19-24, 04:38 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 394 Posts
Mineral spirits and a toothbrush works nicely.
Likes For sd5782:
Old 03-19-24, 05:23 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
Mineral spirits and a toothbrush works nicely.
Exactly. This is common on old bikes because the grease from those days was different from many of the grease formulations today. Old greases (and some cheaper modern greases) are a soap mixed with oil. The oil and the soap (usually some kind of triglyceride salt) can separate over time with the oil flowing away. The “peanut butter” that is common in old bearings is the soap which has lost the oil. The stuff covering robertj298’s bike is the oil that leaked out…probably combined with some dirt and perhaps having suffered a little bit of oxidation.

Modern urethane based greases are more stable and don’t undergo separation even over a long period of time. They are often called “shear stable” which means they don’t thin out and separate under shear conditions.

Mineral spirits is the best place to start for cleaning this. A water based method that I’ve used with good results is Armor All Extreme Tire and Wheel cleaner. It works very well on old (and new) oil.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-19-24, 06:08 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Residue from brown axle grease. After cleaning, polish with Simichrome or Glass Wax.