Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Kent Eriksen titanium road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-23, 10:34 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 286 Posts

Just picked up this Eriksen road bike from a local bike shop that had it for sale at a price I couldn't pass up... Honestly looks like it was ridden around the block and then stored away. I've been itching for a titanium bike lately, but just couldn't get myself to fork over that much money for a Moots or Mosaic. Let's just say I got this complete bike for less than half of what a Moots frameset would cost, plus it has full Dura Ace di2, a titanium Eriksen post, Chris King headset, and Zipp wheels. The welds are like works of art (I'll post close up pics of those later). It has the frame guides for a mechanical groupset, if I ever want to go back to that. A quick ride around the parking lot and I was sold...

Anyway, I called the good folks at Bingham Built (Brad Bingham took over for Kent Eriksen, and Kent Eriksen was the guy who started Moots) and they verified that the frame was built in December of 2011. They still had the original build sheet, geometry chart, and documentation. They were so patient with my questions even though I wasn't buying a bike from them (super sweet people). So, I went ahead and ordered the matching Built stem from them (see below) to complete the look, as they had the blue faceplate. I'll be taking off the Zipp wheels and replacing them with a set of DT Swiss PR1400 Oxic wheels I have on another bike (see below). Also, I'm swapping out the bartape for some Fizik Terra bondcush (my favorite tape ever) in the dark blue color (see pic below). I'm debating on whether I should keep the aluminum Deda bars, or if I should splurge on some carbon handlebars... Also, trying to figure out a way to cover the giant Enve decal on the fork (maybe order a custom Enve decal to cover it, in either blue, black, or metallic). Lastly, thinking of getting some titanium bottle cages (blue anodized or just plain Ti?). Otherwise, everything seems super-dialed in... Thanks for listening!

Old 10-06-23, 04:45 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
THAT is a beautiful bike!

Welcome to the Ti club. Maybe I should upgrade to Di2 also.....
Likes For bblair:
Old 10-06-23, 04:46 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 1,034 Posts
Nice!!!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 10-06-23, 05:58 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Very nice! CF handlebar, of course.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 10-06-23, 06:06 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
I don't even know why I have an opinion on this, but I think the bottle cages should be plain Ti and not blue anodized. In my opinion, that would take it from blue accentuated to gaudy. And I would definitely go for compact bars, whatever material. With a matte black painted fork, that should look very clean on those other wheels. Nice bike.
Likes For yaw:
Old 10-06-23, 10:30 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
That bike definitely needs some King Cages.
Likes For MidTNBrad:
Old 10-07-23, 01:52 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Congratulations
Old 10-07-23, 06:59 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
TI cages would be right on.
I would ride as is but if you need more reach then CA or TI stem and maybe upgrade bars.
Enjoy!

PS: Id be interested in any of the take off, like the Zipp wheels
Old 10-07-23, 07:09 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Score! I imagine you are limited on tire width on a frame of that era. Otherwise, perfect.

Stainless steel cages look great on my Ti bike. The metal color is "close enough" to Ti. They are inexpensive and extremely functional. The springy steel grips bottles, and doesn't mark them up. I can slam a bottle back into the cage without looking.

I see you have the K-edge Di2 junction box holder. So much better than the annoying Di2 stem strap. To organize the junction box wires, I use small wraps of self adhering "repair" tape -- silicone tape that only sticks to itself -- no adhesive to get messy.

Color themes
I know a rider that has a theme color -- jerseys, tape, bike details, etc. But the different shades of that color often clash.

There's a local rider with an old Eriksen that has color accents like your photo -- it looks great. Subtle.

Last edited by rm -rf; 10-07-23 at 07:18 AM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 10-07-23, 12:59 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Welcome to the Titanium Club!!! "Once you to Titanium, there's nothing better for your cranium!"
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 10-09-23, 09:02 AM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by yaw
I don't even know why I have an opinion on this, but I think the bottle cages should be plain Ti and not blue anodized. In my opinion, that would take it from blue accentuated to gaudy. And I would definitely go for compact bars, whatever material. With a matte black painted fork, that should look very clean on those other wheels. Nice bike.
I think I agree with you... At some point, it becomes too "matchy-matchy."
Old 10-09-23, 09:03 AM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by rm -rf
Score! I imagine you are limited on tire width on a frame of that era. Otherwise, perfect.

Stainless steel cages look great on my Ti bike. The metal color is "close enough" to Ti. They are inexpensive and extremely functional. The springy steel grips bottles, and doesn't mark them up. I can slam a bottle back into the cage without looking.

I see you have the K-edge Di2 junction box holder. So much better than the annoying Di2 stem strap. To organize the junction box wires, I use small wraps of self adhering "repair" tape -- silicone tape that only sticks to itself -- no adhesive to get messy.

Color themes
I know a rider that has a theme color -- jerseys, tape, bike details, etc. But the different shades of that color often clash.

There's a local rider with an old Eriksen that has color accents like your photo -- it looks great. Subtle.
Oh, is that what that is? I was thinking it was some custom Di2 junction box holder... I was going to have my bike shop run it through the handlebars, but I sorta like the way the little box looks.
Old 10-09-23, 04:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Looking good, my Ti road bike is also Ti and Blue and fantastic! You will be quite happy with this one Kent did some great work.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-09-23, 05:03 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Caliwild
I think I agree with you... At some point, it becomes too "matchy-matchy."
Nah, get the blue bottle cages, and you even borrow my Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels for a ride and a photoshoot; the wheels have blue spoke nipples, rear hub, and front hub trim.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 10-09-23, 05:06 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Very nice!

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 10-12-23, 08:04 PM
6thElement
It's carbon dontcha know.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts
Is the crank part of the Shimano recall?
Old 10-13-23, 09:43 AM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by 6thElement
Is the crank part of the Shimano recall?
Nope! Doesn't match the numbers...
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 10-13-23, 01:27 PM
Caliwild

Here is another photo... What would you guys do with the fork? The bright white Enve decal (under clearcoat) is bugging me. IMO, it takes away from the looks of the bike. I'm trying to see if I can get a black Enve decal to cover it up. Otherwise, I'd have to have the clearcoat on the fork stripped. At that point, I could just leave it black or have the fork painted. Would a blue fork be overkill? I've seen forks painted to match the titanium, which looks pretty nice too...

Old 10-13-23, 03:25 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Here is another photo... What would you guys do with the fork? The bright white Enve decal (under clearcoat) is bugging me. IMO, it takes away from the looks of the bike. I'm trying to see if I can get a black Enve decal to cover it up. Otherwise, I'd have to have the clearcoat on the fork stripped. At that point, I could just leave it black or have the fork painted. Would a blue fork be overkill? I've seen forks painted to match the titanium, which looks pretty nice too...

Your choice, but I think it looks fine as-is. The ENVE logo looks like a modern art design anyway so not blatant advertising.
Likes For datlas:
Old 10-13-23, 05:43 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

What would you guys do with the fork?
Epoxy and medium blue sparkles just on the ENVE logos.

Originally Posted by datlas
... but I think it looks fine as-is.
Agreed. Looks fine. I would not mess with the clear coat if the fork is in good condition.
Old 10-13-23, 08:03 PM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Epoxy and medium blue sparkles just on the ENVE logos.

Agreed. Looks fine. I would not mess with the clear coat if the fork is in good condition.
Ha! Ok, I'm overthinking it. I think once I swap out the wheels, there will be less white and I'll be ok with the fork
Old 10-14-23, 08:59 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
General question: why don’t they put Ti forks on Ti bikes?
Old 10-14-23, 09:09 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Curious what the geo sheet says for HT angle and fork rake and resulting trail on this one. Maybe just the photo's angle, but that HT looks pretty steep.

They still had the original build sheet, geometry chart, and documentation. They were so patient with my questions even though I wasn't buying a bike from them (super sweet people). .. Also, trying to figure out a way to cover the giant Enve decal on the fork (maybe order a custom Enve decal to cover it, in either blue, black, or metallic). Lastly, thinking of getting some titanium bottle cages (blue anodized or just plain Ti?). Otherwise, everything seems super-dialed in... Thanks for listening!

Old 10-15-23, 06:13 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 2,805 Times in 535 Posts
Lovely frame

When I was a poor student in the early 90's I lusted for but could never afford an Eriksen hardtail MTB, and back then, as was the fashion, I would have gone mad adding colored anodised parts.

Nowadays I'm not sure that look has aged well so would probs avoid the multicolored parts now, but I agree that its hard to make ti bikes that don't look like every ti bike ever when you squint or look from afar. Grey frame and generic looking carbon fork on over 90% of them, and then mostly black tape, saddles and cranks etc, they can look a bit bland.

I'm leaning into being old and grey with my ti bike and am currently having a straight bladed full chrome Columbus Max fork made for mine, and kitting it out with shiny Campag groupset, so I'm going the shiny silver route with mine to make it look a bit different, and besides I love how Max forks ride. And have a silver saddle and pedals and tape for full grey look.

Looking forward to seeing yours built up, and show us some more close up pics of some of those welds Kent was famously meticulous over, some BB area shots please
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 10-15-23, 07:00 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
General question: why don’t they put Ti forks on Ti bikes?
ok I will play

Carbon fiber is a popular material for bicycle forks due to several advantages:

1. **Lightweight**: Carbon fiber is exceptionally light, making it an ideal choice for reducing the overall weight of the bicycle. Lighter forks contribute to easier climbing.

2. **Strength**: Carbon fiber has a high strength-to-weight ratio, which means it can be very strong while remaining lightweight. This enhances the forks's durability and ability to withstand stress and impacts.

3. **Stiffness**: Carbon fiber forks can be engineered to have specific stiffness characteristics. This allows for efficient power transfer from the rider to the wheels, resulting in a more responsive and agile ride.

4. **Vibration Damping**: Carbon fiber can absorb and dampen road vibrations, providing a smoother and more comfortable ride compared to some other materials like titanium.

5. **Customization**: Carbon fiber's properties can be tailored through different layup patterns, allowing manufacturers to create forks with specific performance characteristics to suit various riding styles and preferences.

6. **Aerodynamics**: Carbon fiber forks can be designed with aerodynamics in mind, reducing air resistance and improving speed, which is particularly advantageous for competitive cycling.

Just kidding!!! Big bike doesn’t want us the enjoy the magical ride that titanium forks can impart.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 10-15-23 at 07:20 AM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.