Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brake Shudder (Sort of)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Brake Shudder (Sort of)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-14, 08:58 PM
hoyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brake Shudder (Sort of)

I'm riding an old steel road bike with chromoly fork, with new-ish tektro dual pivot caliper brakes.

Whenever I apply the front brake, I can feel the front fork "jump" backwards, as if the brake is pulling back on the fork. It is not a "shudder" with continuous multi-directional movement, just a momentary "jump" in one direction (backwards) when the brake is applied.

I've checked my headset, and front hub and both are adjusted properly.

I acquired this frame second-hand, and it may be possible that the headset is using mismatched cups, but there is no perceptible play between the cups that I can notice when I'm off the bike. I have an extra threaded headset I could replace it with, but I don't want to go to the trouble unless I know this is the problem.

Any one have any ideas of what this could be?

thanks
Old 07-09-14, 10:28 PM
Turtle Speed
happy bike wishes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dumb question, are you 100% sure it's not the headset? If you temporarily overtighten it a bit, and go test the brakes, do they still jump? Obviously you can reset the headset to a proper adjustment afterwards. If it were me, I'd just like to know beyond any doubt that it wasn't an adjustment issue I was making.

Is the brake caliper attached tightly to the frame?

Are the brake arms on the caliper tightly secured? Sometimes the arms can be loose on the center bolt and cause the symptoms you're experiencing. There are different brake designs, but there should be a little locknut thing on the front, no?
Old 07-10-14, 08:38 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Turtle Speed

Are the brake arms on the caliper tightly secured? Sometimes the arms can be loose on the center bolt and cause the symptoms you're experiencing. There are different brake designs, but there should be a little locknut thing on the front, no?
No. Tektro dual pivots.
Old 07-10-14, 09:14 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
The definitive test for a loose headset is to duplicate what's happening to you.

Stand next to the bike, apply your front brake and rock the bike forward and back while watching and feeling for movement of the fork. I prefer to put my fingers on the lower headset cup and crown or crown race if it's slightly exposed and feel there.

BTW- if the headset checks out, you might not be feeling the fork move. Instead you might be feeling the brake arms move forward with the motion of the wheel and taking up the slop in the brake caliper. Some slop is normal since the arms have to be free to pivot. Better brakes are built tighter, and many are adjustable for arm play.

IMO- other than checking/adjusting your headset I'd ignore it unless it gets worse.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 07-10-14 at 09:56 AM.