Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

road bike in December

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

road bike in December

Old 12-13-13, 07:08 AM
trafficdancer

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock 29er (seriously modded), Surly Crosscheck, Surly Pugsley, GT Glide Deluxe, Phat Cycles tandem, Raleigh Chopper, plus a few other oddities

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
road bike in December

Hi all, I haven't been here in a while.....to briefly recap, I'm a lifelong cyclist who is going on his fourth winter as an ice biker. I feel seasoned at this point.

So you can imagine my surprise as I shove off to work every morning at 7 on my 29er....I'm finally rocking a set of studded tires (and wonder how I made it this far without them). EVERY DAMN DAY a guy passes me going the opposite direction on a road bike....seriously, this godlike man is rolling the dice in ways the rest of us will never accomplish. I mean, this is Michigan....there's plenty of snow on the ground and he's just truckin' along.

I wonder if I'm seeing things?
Old 12-13-13, 07:20 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I rode my road bike last a couple of weeks ago - if I know the roads are clear and it's above freezing.

Snow isn't really a problem, you can deal with that with minimal tread and by going very carefully (I wouldn't, but I think it's possible). Ice is a different matter - I've ridden with studs on roads that I couldn't walk on - my only concern being that the people in cars really should have stayed home, those things shouldn't be driving on surfaces like that and they might spin out next to me.
Old 12-13-13, 07:27 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's all about perspective.

You ever stop to think about how you look to him!
Old 12-13-13, 07:36 AM
trafficdancer

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock 29er (seriously modded), Surly Crosscheck, Surly Pugsley, GT Glide Deluxe, Phat Cycles tandem, Raleigh Chopper, plus a few other oddities

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WestPablo
It's all about perspective.

You ever stop to think about how you look to him!
No. He's waved to me before, though.

my only concern being that the people in cars really should have stayed home, those things shouldn't be driving on surfaces like that and they might spin out next to me.
Heh heh! I just said something like this the other day!
Old 12-13-13, 07:44 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The road biker could very well have studded tires on too. They make some for 700c if that's what he was riding and the frame is wide enough to fit them. I use my 27in road bike when the roads are completely dry and no chance of any ice. Other than that, a studded MTB.
Old 12-13-13, 08:03 AM
debit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This happens to me all the time. Granted, this is only my second winter bike commuting; I was defeated last year by my fear of ice. This year, I thought, I would be totally set and would be queen of the frozen bike paths. I did a drop bar conversion on an old Rockhopper, built up some wheels around drum brake hubs (dynamo in front) and slapped on some Nokian Extremes. I still get passed, every damn day, by some hotshot on a road bike.
Old 12-13-13, 08:07 AM
trafficdancer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Debit, while we're on the subject...what are the pros of using drop bars on a commuter bike? Is it personal preference? My Crosscheck obviously has them but I can't imagine them on my 29er.
Old 12-13-13, 08:14 AM
debit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
trafficdancer, it's a personal preference. I have a couple bikes with straight bars and just can't stand them for rides longer than, say, ten miles. My commute is twelve, so it's doable, but they just kill my hands and arms. I would say that it's because a drop offers more hand positions, but to be honest, I spend 90 percent of my ride on the hoods unless there's a headwind.
Old 12-13-13, 08:38 AM
trafficdancer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by debit
trafficdancer, it's a personal preference. I have a couple bikes with straight bars and just can't stand them for rides longer than, say, ten miles. My commute is twelve, so it's doable, but they just kill my hands and arms. I would say that it's because a drop offers more hand positions, but to be honest, I spend 90 percent of my ride on the hoods unless there's a headwind.
Aha! I've never gone further than, say, 10 miles in a stretch on my 29er.
Old 12-13-13, 08:44 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been commuting on my Fuji Track Pro. 5 inches of snow today. 32mm Nokian hakkapeliittas fit so I ride 'em. I'm an idiot.