Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

What studded tires do you use?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 12-13-13, 10:58 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts

What brand? What model? How do you like them? What do you know about the studs? Other studded tires you have used? How much use do they have on them?

A long time ago I had some IRC Blizzards. They had I think 112 (about) long steel studs. The studs wore out quickly. I replaced the studs with some new Nokian studs, but the nest in the tire was made for a longer stud. It did not work as well as they did when new. I gave them away.

At least 10 years ago I bought some Nokian Extreme 296's (294?). I try and save studded tires for only ice and snow. I have another mtb with knobbies for dry roads and fresh snow. I use the Nokians every winter. There is not typically lots of snow and ice here. I don't know how many miles are on them. They grab great on ice, bumpy ice with footprints, and hard packed snow on the road. I took out 10 studs and measured them, compared used to new unused studs after a few years. The studs don't get shorter (tungsten carbide) but, the casing of the tire gets soft, and they sink into the tire over time, giving the effect of shorter studs. What does happen, is that the sharp corner of the shape of a cylinder end, gets rounded over a little. They still are OK, but not as good as new.

Last fall I upgraded to Schwalbe "Ice Spiker Pro" tires. Almost 400 studs, thinner more flexible side
walls and lighter, wider than the Nokians with pointed carbide studs. They grab great, but I just realized the sharp point will round over and wear faster than a cylinder shape. And, it's happening already. Huge fail. !
Old 12-13-13, 11:39 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Nokian/Suomi W160 Mount and Ground 26"x1.95". Higher quality and roll better than the Kenda Klondike 26"x2.1" they replaced, although part of that is due to the size difference. Both have carbide-tipped studs, and I haven't lost any on either set.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-13-13, 11:45 AM
johnnyboy1

Bikes: 1985 Raleigh Portage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Icespeed W100- put them on 11/12, off 4/12, on 10/13. No stud loss yet and work great.
Old 12-13-13, 12:41 PM
RickB.

Bikes: '04 Cannondale R1000, Haluzak Horizon recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nokian W106 700x45 on my rigid 29er. This is my second winter on them in northern Utah. I commute daily 18 miles round trip (until the air quality gets too bad) , have lost one stud. When it's time to replace I may consider the 700x35... I sometimes think the 45 is too wide, causing some "float" or drifting where narrower tire might cut through a little better...
Old 12-13-13, 01:57 PM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
Schwalbe Marathon Winter studded, 700x35, with carbide studs. I'd been told the studs would outlast the tread. After three thousand miles, the tread is hardly worn, and the rear's inner rows of studs are worn down to the point of being worthless on ice. The front's studs have a little life left in them so I put it on the rear and got a new one for the front. I looked into replacement studs but the cost is too high both for money and the effort to replace them. A new tire was cheaper, and now I've got the outer rows of studs on the replaced tire for spares.

They've been good tires, but I'm not sure why others supposedly get unlimited stud mileage. Bike and rider only weigh maybe 175 loaded.
Old 12-13-13, 04:19 PM
bendembroski
My legs hurt

Bikes: Vaya, Brompton, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, Cresswell Fold-it, '81 Trek 610

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've always used Marathon Winters -- no complaints. My oldest set has 4 winters on them with daily, moderate use and the studs are still fine.

This year I got a new bike, and I needed winter tires for it (700c instead of 20" and 26") I've opted to give the new Schwalbe Winters -- not Marathons. As far as I can tell, the only differences are that they only have the studs down the two center rows & they are quite a bit cheaper.

We've had our first round of snow / ice early, and so far, so good. I've only got a maybe 150 miles on them, so longevity is yet to be determined.
Old 12-13-13, 04:21 PM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
Schwalbe Marathon Winter studded, 700x35, with carbide studs. I'd been told the studs would outlast the tread. After three thousand miles, the tread is hardly worn, and the rear's inner rows of studs are worn down to the point of being worthless on ice. The front's studs have a little life left in them so I put it on the rear and got a new one for the front. I looked into replacement studs but the cost is too high both for money and the effort to replace them. A new tire was cheaper, and now I've got the outer rows of studs
on the replaced tire for spares. They've been good tires, but I'm not sure why others supposedly get unlimited stud mileage. Bike and rider only weigh maybe 175 loaded.
They don't.
Old 12-13-13, 04:24 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Marathon Winter 26x1.75. Mostly for ice and light snow. Perfect tire for the DC climate. Only on the bike when needed, as I have three wheelsets for my commuter bike.
Old 12-18-13, 09:03 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5440 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 236 Posts
Nokian Mount and Ground. One of the best investments I have ever made. They make me a 12 month rider. I'm on my second set. Gave the first set to my brother and he's still using them.
Old 12-20-13, 12:31 PM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hakkapeliitta A10's. I really like them. I'm in my second winter riding on them. 700x32. Less studs than most other models, but they work well on the ice and slop we get here in Illinois. No flats, either. Good, solid performers. I would buy them again in a heartbeat, they are great for Springfield, IL city streets.

If you ride off road or have harsher climate than here, you might want a model with more studs. I'm sold on the Nokian/Suomi Hakkapeliittas, though - good quality.
Old 12-20-13, 07:34 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Marathon Winter 26 x 1.75 and Continental Contact Winter II's. I used the Schwalbe's for 2 seasons, but not this year as I sold the bike. Tread still in great shape as are the studs.

I've used the Winter II's a few times. I think they are actually better in snow than the Winters. I am not that bold on ice yet with them, and not sure I will be without stud's......

I'm selling the Marathons since I don't plan on getting another 26" bike in the near future.
Old 12-20-13, 08:29 PM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kenda klondike 700x40C tires. Ditched them the second year after falling on ice after having lost all but 3 studs the first winter and after getting flats twice via the tiny holes where studs were.

Last edited by erig007; 12-20-13 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-21-13, 06:35 PM
soze
ex-everything.

Bikes: venerable surly crosscheck

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hakkapeliitta W106 700x35's. Fifth season, and they're still going strong. If they can't cut down through it to pavement, I would be portaging the bike regardless.

They do wander a bit too much for a loaded bike on postholed, frozen-over bike paths to be safe, but outside of a fatbike I don't think that's something that could be recovered from anyway.
Old 12-21-13, 06:50 PM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by soze
Hakkapeliitta W106 700x35's. Fifth season, and they're still going strong. If they can't cut down through it to pavement, I would be portaging the bike regardless.

They do wander a bit too much for a loaded bike on postholed, frozen-over bike paths to be safe, but outside of a fatbike I don't think.that's something that could be recovered from anyway.
I ride over that surface condition all the time. I recover from slides on every ride, and also go straight over the big holes sometimes. Wider helps a lot. If it is extremely bumpy, like 20 miles yesterday, I run about 14 psi in both tires. 26X2.35 Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro. Not technically a fat bike, just an mtb. It is a good upper body work out. Even at 14 psi it's rough.

Attached Images
Old 12-21-13, 07:52 PM
soze
ex-everything.

Bikes: venerable surly crosscheck

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I ride over that surface condition all the time. I recover from slides on every ride, and also go straight over the big holes sometimes. Wider helps a lot. If it is extremely bumpy, like 20 miles yesterday, I run about 14 psi in both tires. 26X2.35 Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro. Not technically a fat bike, just an mtb. It is a good upper body work out. Even at 14 psi it's rough.
With 35's it might be doable if I dumped psi out... that nasty postholed section is like 0.25mi of a commute otherwise made on mostly plowed streets. I don't want to deal with squishy tires for one stretch that I'll just suck it up and carry through.

I'd probably be going after it more aggressively at the end of the season as well, I'm 7wks post abdominal surgery and still getting my stamina/strength back. Probably encourages my skittishness.
Old 12-21-13, 08:13 PM
2manybikes

With 35's it might be doable if I dumped psi out... that nasty postholed section is like 0.25mi of a commute otherwise made on mostly plowed streets. I don't want to deal with squishy tires for one stretch that I'll just suck it up and carry through.

I'd probably be going after it more aggressively at the end of the season as well, I'm 7wks post abdominal surgery and still getting my stamina/strength back. Probably encourages my skittishness.
Good luck with your recovery.
Old 12-21-13, 10:27 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I run Marathon winter tyres on my folder and these are great when you want to get really sticky on ice, the main winter bikes all have home built studded tyres or rebuilt commercial ones like the Klondike on my hybrid.

The DIY tyres have outlasted lesser commercial tyres and lifespan has been good over many many seasons (some are 6 years old now), the off camber studding lets them roll smoothly on the flats and provides traction when you need it.

I built up a bunch of new tyres this year as my wife needed a set and she got my old ones and have built up a lot of tyres for other people who have been well pleased with the stickiness and ride characteristics.
Old 12-22-13, 10:57 AM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
put me down for a pair of Nokian Extremes. I'm going into my seventh winter now. And they're still looking good. I have'nt lost any studs. And they'll handle anything Mother Nature throws at you. up to about six inches of snow.I have them mounted to a second wheelset, so I only use them when they're needed. works out good that way.
I tried the homemade studded tire route. And they worked out OK. Especially on snow covered dirt singletrack. You can see pictures of them on the Making Your Own Studded Tyres thread.

But I like the Nokians better. I've taken them into the woods in the summer, and man, they grip like crazy on the dirt.

Last edited by scoatw; 12-22-13 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-22-13, 12:29 PM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts

They do wander a bit too much for a loaded bike on postholed, frozen-over bike paths to be safe, but outside of a fatbike I don't think that's something that could be recovered from anyway.
Same here, bought mid January last year and look brand new (22m round trip commute, ride every day). I actually think the 106's are a little overkill for me. A friend just put on Schwalbes and they're probably better for my climate and conditions.
Old 12-22-13, 03:14 PM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use the Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106 in 26in on a rigid MTB for winter use. I love them so far, used 2 seasons, and still perform like new.
Old 12-24-13, 10:49 PM
stevemtbr
Creamy pack filling

Bikes: Trek 8000, Co-Motion tandem, Co-motion Espresso, Yeti Cross, 9Zero7 Fat Bike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Schwable Ice Spiker pros. Going on there 6th winter and have not lost a stud.