Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2014!! How was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2014!! How was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-14, 06:43 AM
trafficdancer

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock 29er (seriously modded), Surly Crosscheck, Surly Pugsley, GT Glide Deluxe, Phat Cycles tandem, Raleigh Chopper, plus a few other oddities

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brrrrr! I'm late to this party....I rode yesterday when it was around 4 or 5 degrees. Rode today in -7. I need a better face mask!

That said, the Pugsley is paying for itself on frozen slush ruts. I'm crashing right over them instead of getting 'diverted'.
Old 01-03-14, 07:29 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by trafficdancer
That said, the Pugsley is paying for itself on frozen slush ruts. I'm crashing right over them instead of getting 'diverted'.
I want one! Ride home yesterday was better than in - mup was salted but not plowed. Working from home today, -2F without wind chill and I know when they salt and don't plow and it gets cold the path is frozen ruts - I want a Pugsley now!
Old 01-03-14, 07:30 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I feel kind of soft for saying yesterday's commute was my worst since I started commuting in Oct. Lots of rain (temp 6C) but I was warm so I have nothing to complain about with many others riding in sub-zero temps.
Old 01-03-14, 07:35 AM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Friggin' cold, icy, snowy and my bike locker froze again. It finally opened after I kicked it a few dozen times. Studs performed flawlessly, temps were @10F(-12 C), exposed skin was hurtin'. Should be similar for the return, Stay warm my friends.
Old 01-03-14, 08:28 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Well crap I want to ride next Tuesday morning but it's supposed to be 12F, possibly even single digits (coldest we've seen here in a LONG time), and I just can't keep my toes from freezing after about 8-10 miles of the 15 mile ride.

That's and it's next to impossible to use my clear safety glasses along with balaclava because they fog up so bad. On the 31st I rode 15 miles in 23F with the balaclava and no eye protection, and it was not fun at all.
Old 01-03-14, 08:51 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Southern ME commute to NE MA through Seacoast NH. 15degF, 2" of snow on the ground, snow still falling at a good clip, plows and salt trucks not even out yet.

Wife drove me to the bus station (could have rode, but didn't). On the bus looking out the windows there were more than a dozen cars spun off the highway. Dusted the snow off the bike and pedaled into work.

Dang. Soupy stuff at the shoulders and no idea where the edge of the road actually was had me riding in the right tire track cleared by cars. Meant that cars had to pass over snowy roadway to pass me, but f' 'em.

Only 3 mi biking each way today, but all the hallmarks of an adventure. First '14 bike commute in the bag on the second day of the year, this is already more commuting than I did last January.
From yesterday:

Work called off today.
Old 01-03-14, 09:03 AM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It was 45 degrees when I left the house, I made it 3 miles from the house and turned around to take the car. Simply put, I didn't have the right gear. No tights or windproof pants, gloves were at home, but I only had ski gloves, so I was stuck. Hands were numb by the 3rd mile anyway, and my toes were not far behind... and I still had 15 miles left.
Old 01-03-14, 09:33 AM
trafficdancer

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock 29er (seriously modded), Surly Crosscheck, Surly Pugsley, GT Glide Deluxe, Phat Cycles tandem, Raleigh Chopper, plus a few other oddities

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
I want one! Ride home yesterday was better than in - mup was salted but not plowed. Working from home today, -2F without wind chill and I know when they salt and don't plow and it gets cold the path is frozen ruts - I want a Pugsley now!
So when you wake up tonight and there's a guy in your house dressed as a devil whispering "Buy a Pugsley", Don't shoot. It's just me trying to encourage you to do it.
Old 01-03-14, 09:41 AM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
-4 F. A new low temp PR for me.

My feet were cold at the end; other than that, it was not too bad. I am going to need better footgear to ride at that temp again.

My trip time and average speed sucked, but I left extra early, so I was still early in to work. My bike was caked in grimy frozen road slush by the end, and every moving part moves slower in those kind of temps. Not a fun ride, but definitely do-able.

It is supposed to warm up to around 20-25 F for the evening commute. That is going to feel Tropical after -4.
Old 01-03-14, 09:50 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Wow! It seems like most of the posters in here make my winter commutes look down right tropical. My New Years Eve ride was one of my coldest ever. 36F leaving the house, 60's by noon when I got home.

All commutes this year (two so far) have been ~ 45F AM, ~65F PM.
Old 01-03-14, 09:51 AM
arsprod 

Originally Posted by trafficdancer
So when you wake up tonight and there's a guy in your house dressed as a devil whispering "Buy a Pugsley", Don't shoot. It's just me trying to encourage you to do it.
I won't shoot but no guarantee I won't crap my pants! Careful, you're not that far away - I may come up there and 'borrow' yours!!
Old 01-03-14, 09:56 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
8F when I woke up this morning with 25mph winds. I was planning on riding anyway since my car battery is dead, but the roads are all still covered in snow and I didn't feel like falling in front of cars with limited stopping abilities.

Another driving day. On the plus side, our new Subaru Impreza drives fantastically in the snow. We were able to make it up hills last night on which other cars were slipping and sliding. I can only imagine how much better it would be with snow tires.
Old 01-03-14, 09:59 AM
cvskates

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Temperature was right at freezing, but the skys and roads were clear. Beautiful morning with empty roads at 4:30am
Old 01-03-14, 10:52 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'm not getting off to a good start in 2014, missing commutes on the first two work days due to lousy weather. I did ride on New Year's Day, however, but that doesn't count as a commute. Yesterday we had a bunch of rain, and then a strong cold front blew in overnight. Altho it was clear this morning, there were very high winds and some black ice, so I decided not to risk it. Better to miss a couple of days due to weather than several weeks or months due to injuries.
Old 01-03-14, 11:39 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
I took a spill on the way in today. Walked the bike out of the nighborhood and carefully mounted up and headed to base. Made it all the way to Taxiway Alpha before the combination of wind and a random ice spot spilled me. Unfortunately the conditions didn't leave me very confident in mounting (I had 4 gallons of water on my rear rack, part of traction part because I was taking them to work) so I walked most of the rest of the way. Fortunately, not long before my hanger a sailor gave me a hand in his truck.

Need snow tyres, though I doubt they would help with ice anyways.

M.
Old 01-03-14, 12:07 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by JReade
It was 45 degrees when I left the house, I made it 3 miles from the house and turned around to take the car. Simply put, I didn't have the right gear. No tights or windproof pants, gloves were at home, but I only had ski gloves, so I was stuck. Hands were numb by the 3rd mile anyway, and my toes were not far behind... and I still had 15 miles left.
at least you got 6 miles in!
Old 01-03-14, 12:45 PM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The shoulder of the roadways and bike lanes are now covered by large snow banks and the MUP and sidewalks in the city are closed or in very bad shape. No more commuting for now. I can only ride in the lane on a rural road next to my home and try to stay in shape for spring this way. The only solution would be a FAT bike until we get a thaw. The temperature was -13degF and the wind chill was -39 degF this morning. I've never seen it this bad in a long time.
Old 01-03-14, 01:47 PM
neil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doing well so far on my resolution to ride more this year. The biking has been a mixed bag so far - yesterday, freezing rain left the MUP I use (briefly) a little too slick even for my Marathon Winters, though the roads were beatiful. Mixed sleet and snow overnight meant that this morning I had too much ice on my rims, so braking was imperfect, and there was a fair bit of brown sugar on the roads. Luckily, I have indoor parking at the office, so my bike thaws during the day. The temperatures have been great so far, though it's now supposed to drop to -16ºC by the time I head home today.

Still, two safe commutes under my belt so far. A good start to the new year. Now to call the city about that contra-flow lane they're completely failing to clear.
Old 01-03-14, 02:09 PM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
With six inches of snow, it was crunchy.

I could hear the snow compress under the Nokian tires all the way.

I dread tomorrow when all the ruts will be frozen. Wait. Tomorrow's Saturday, and no work!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1-14.jpg (55.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-03-14, 06:06 PM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by MEversbergII
I took a spill on the way in today. Walked the bike out of the nighborhood and carefully mounted up and headed to base. Made it all the way to Taxiway Alpha before the combination of wind and a random ice spot spilled me. Unfortunately the conditions didn't leave me very confident in mounting (I had 4 gallons of water on my rear rack, part of traction part because I was taking them to work) so I walked most of the rest of the way. Fortunately, not long before my hanger a sailor gave me a hand in his truck.

Need snow tyres, though I doubt they would help with ice anyways.

M.
Studded tires work wonders on ice, Schwalbe or Nokians. I am in Md and road today, never crashed while on studs.
Old 01-04-14, 12:02 AM
mister

Bikes: Checkpoint SL 7.5, FX 4

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
The ride in was hazy this morning. There wasn't much traffic but there were a lot of the local homeless and vagrants wandering about. Coming home there was a good deal of traffic, which I love riding in. I'll admit, it isn't safe, but I love splitting lanes and riding between cars that are slow moving. It must've gotten under the skin of the driver of a jacked up diesel Excursion. When they caught up to me, they past me with about a foot of space. I just laughed and thought "Chump in a car!"
Old 01-04-14, 06:18 AM
downwinded

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip LTD, 2013 Raleigh Misceo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday mornings 11F was a new low temp record for me. The wind was not too bad. Had a new base layer shirt that worked out well and wore pair of polyester sport pants over my jeans as well. Best of all, a pair of Visorgogs that I had on order arrived Thurs., so I got to try them out. They seemed to solve the fogging problem pretty well. All in all it was fairly enjoyable. Comments at work were priceless.
Old 01-04-14, 11:33 AM
wilfried

Bikes: Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20, Citi Bike

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Yesterday, was my first completely non-bike commuting day I believe since at least May; I took the train both ways. Today I took a bike share bike. First, it was a trick to find one; it looks like they took a lot of them off the street. The ride was OK. City streets were clear enough, but there was snow and slush piled along the sides and corners, so there wasn't much room to maneuver, and I often had to follow the tire tracks. Riding along the river might have been a bad idea, as the path was icier, but then I got to stay out of traffic. The temp. was about 18 degrees, which didn't bother me much; I actually managed to sweat. It was a bit of a slow slog, but all in all it went fine.
Old 01-04-14, 11:36 AM
arsprod 

Saturday work day because I'm doing the mayor's Polar Bear ride (I think it's funny that 1000 people make it an event to ride one day in the winter... I'm so smug!). 19F with a soulless headwind, but at least the mup was clear.

This may be my last commute until the middle of next week - we're supposed to get a foot of snow tonight and tomorrow and Monday temps predicted at -11F as a high, windchill around -40F. Tuesday warms up to -2F.
Old 01-05-14, 01:40 AM
mister

Bikes: Checkpoint SL 7.5, FX 4

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
The ride in was dark and wet. No rain, just damp from the fog. Temps were around 39F. I was hoping to be able to leave work at noon and spend the afternoon with my wife and son, but my assistant caught Scarlet Fever, so what I hoped would be a half day turned into a full double. The ride home was nice. Clear skies and lots of stars to see. Temps were in the high 40s. I tried out some different gloves, but they were no bueno.

You guys commuting on the east coast have some major stones. I can't imagine riding in temperatures that low! Be safe and stay warm!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.